Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don’t honestly think there is nothing you can do. Sure make it harder to buy a gun but at some point it’s not worth it. Especially when you can buy a gun online or out of the back of a car or one of your friends.
It's all about "harm reduction" - which means that if you make people even just a tad more responsible, you save lives and injuries.

There is never a goal of zero in any public policy other than perhaps disease eradication.

A lot of people would be alive today even with very basics. Statistics already show that owning a gun increases gun injuries and death (likely to yourself or a family member or friend).

So just having people who aren't really into them get rid of theirs...would make a big diff.

Example - my dad has a couple handguns that he bought in the 1990's when it was much more dangerous in the Miami area....cars stalled on 95 were being robbed or hijacked. So he kept one in the glove compartment.

Years...even decades...later, they are sitting on top of the closet shelf in his condo and no way ready for use or anything else. If he had even the slightest registration type of situation, the state would be sending him a renewal and also an offer to buy it back if he wasn't using it. He'd take them up on it.

As it stands, it's remotely possible that one of his grandkids or someone else (guest, visitor) could have stole it or taken it. In fact, one of his grandkids did die - by gun (just not that one).....

Look, as my title says I'm the last normal person in the USA (ha ha). I realize crime rates have come down and therefore am certainly not a "take all the guns back now" type of person. At the other end of the spectrum, the very idea that a small minority of gun nuts are making us spend 100's of billions (and more eventually) on hardening schools and giving our kid PTSD....who should pay for all that?

The Constitution says nothing about a free ride. If I have the right to own a boat and navigate the waters of the US (and I do), the government doesn't have to fix my boat, scrape the barnacles off the hull and to have the boat not be registered. Costs for Constitutional Rights or other rights are born by the users/community/etc. through taxes, fees, registrations, etc.

The costs to society of raising millions of little kids who are told them might get shot...is quite high. This is very different than, for example, teaching kids about firearms or how to use them. Now they are being told someone else might shoot them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 12:34 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If perfect is not an acceptable standard, then the opposite would be that if I miss and an innocent bystander gets hit, do we say that we accept that since we didn't require perfection?
Yes. Bc perfection had never been a standard for anything. Due diligence? Yes. Reasonable care? Yes. Fiduciary responsibility? Yep. All those are guidelines for people to do stuff and not be legally or morally responsible for they outcome. Have you ever seen "perfection" as a standard?

Old 09-07-2019, 12:35 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
The "we" to whom you refer? Are you speaking for an anti-government group? Militias? All gun owners? Your proposals for the type of America in which you want to reside?

The "we" is probably everyone who has ever been cheated by the government. The Native Americans, those affected badly by the ACA, those out there arguing pipelines, those on the short end of the stick in the New Orleans flood, etc, etc, etc

Old 09-07-2019, 12:38 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Yes. Bc perfection had never been a standard for anything. Due diligence? Yes. Reasonable care? Yes. Fiduciary responsibility? Yep. All those are guidelines for people to do stuff and not be legally or morally responsible for they outcome. Have you ever seen "perfection" as a standard?

Navy nuclear reactor program
Subsafe
Navy pilot school

those at least come to mind in under a minute

Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Having a 2nd Amendment in place in today's culture is about as sensible as having an elevator in an outhouse. In another thread recently, I posted the only solution that could work. Conceived of nearly 70 years ago....but our grandparents were smarter than we are in many respects.

No amount of tweaking around the edges would make any difference whatsoever. Most of us have already admitted that. This would. And it could be done....not next week or next year, but set as a long-term goal. We'd just need to make sure we don't commission Charles Forbin to design and build it.

Much as we'd all (though I'll admit there are some I'm not so sure about) love to be able to live in peace and security absent such measures, we know better than to hold out such hope. The direction in which we are heading is absolutely unacceptable.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/56090735-post130.html

Old 09-07-2019, 12:46 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Like I said the rich would be armed, the rest of the everyday surfs would not.

Also I'm sure the thugs in da hood and biker gangs will be rushing down to the insurance office to get insured. I'm sure when they sell a gun on the street they will ask for proof of insurance before selling it.

You know all these ridiculous proposals being posted would never happen anyway, it would be struck down in court or there would be such massive non-compliance anyway that it would be moot.
Sure, there are also a lot of folks driving that don't carry liability insurance but if you're pulled over or if you're involved in an incident and lack coverage there are serious consequences. It's just a tool to assign responsible ownership. I don't see that as a problem.

I don't buy the rich v. poor issue either. It comes down to how much it means to you to own what you want. A person with means enough to drive a high performance vehicle will most certainly pay more than someone with a beater. Perhaps someone that chooses to own a (or many) high power firearms should pay more than someone with a single hunting rifle or personal protection handgun.

At the end of the day, throwing your hands up and saying "nothing can be done, nothing will work" doesn't wash anymore. The drumbeat is getting louder. Gun owners need to get on board, offer solutions or risk getting run over. Their choice.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Navy nuclear reactor program
Subsafe
Navy pilot school

those at least come to mind in under a minute
I don't even know the regulations on safe operation on any of those. I would still put money that perfection is not the standard they use for safely operating anything under their control.

And even if it was, that's still not a reason for you to get a blanket pass on regulations for a personal choice. Shooting is not your job, nor is it a necessary part of your life. Objecting to rules getting in the way of you being perfect at it is reasonable excuse.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:52 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
The "we" is probably everyone who has ever been cheated by the government. The Native Americans, those affected badly by the ACA, those out there arguing pipelines, those on the short end of the stick in the New Orleans flood, etc, etc, etc
Pardon my assumption, but if I am hearing or speculating correctly, you are a Katrina survivor? I am truly sorry for the tragedy and loss you must have suffered at the hands of Hurricaine Katrina and in the disastrous aftermath. (you've made several mentions of it and I believe a lot of folks permanently evacuated/relocated to Texas afterwards)

Watching the sheer devastation and the hopelessness of those affected by this week's tremendous storm must be a painful memory. My best to you.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:00 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Reopen the crazy house.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:25 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
One million dollar liability coverage on each firearm owned. If the government can compel liability coverage on automobiles which can be equally as lethal is not used responsibly, they should be able to do the same for firearms.

That would constitute a tax on exercising a constitutional right and would essentially bar lower income citizens from owning a firearm.

You don't have a constitutional right to drive a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies