Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 10:33 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
If You Were In Charge What Would You Do Regarding Guns?
Nothing. There's nothing that can be done that would make things better. Taking guns away from citizens results in the government killing citizens at a rate that the lunatic here and there could never accomplish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

It says the right of a people to keep a well regulated militia shall not be infringed.
Sorry, you are wrong - From the Supreme court ruling https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Quote:
Held: 1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53. (a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22

Old 09-07-2019, 10:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Theres nothing that can be done but accept the reality that America is a gun crazy society and mass shootings are all part of the culture. Rules and regulations look good on paper but with more guns than people they are kinda useless as anyone wanting a gun can easily obtain one.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:07 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres nothing that can be done but accept the reality that America is a gun crazy society and mass shootings are all part of the culture. Rules and regulations look good on paper but with more guns than people they are kinda useless as anyone wanting a gun can easily obtain one.
Mass shooters are the 0.00000001% of the population, and no one condones it or is pro mass shooting - it is hardly "part of the culture". Adding MORE regulations to restrict the purchase is not attacking the issue, it is only impacting the law abiding citizens. Objecting to adding more restrictions that makes others "feel good: but does nothing to address the issue does not make someone "gun crazy". Mass shootings are a Mental health issue NOT a gun control issue, that is where the focus should be, many of the mass shooters have been reported prior but not been properly evaluated.

If try to deal with gun use in homicides, that is a different issue, most homicide perpetrators and victims involve those that have been arrested many times, more of a legal/court issue - could potentially be better addressed by stricter enforcement of the current laws, rather than add new ones.

Saying it is easy to obtain a gun tells me that you have not tried to buy a gun, at least not recently - and certainly not in CA, NJ, NY, IL etc. Much harder to obtain than many think.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'd make it mandatory that before anyone could be licensed to carry a gun they'd have to take a written test plus firing range test. No different than getting a driver license. You have to know the law and how to operate the item in question

In part I agree. However, driving is a privilege. Keeping an bearing arms is a right. Thus here is my proposal. We are an armed nation. Owning a firearm for lawful purpose does not and should not require any government approval (I.e a license). But I do agree that proficiency is a responsibility. Parents should all be teaching their children firearms safety and proficiency. I would take that a step further and implement firearms training in schools. Starting at K and ending a 12.

Safety, proper care of and use would be a required part of school curriculum. That being said there will obviously be certain students that will not be qualified to participate in that training. Those with mental and physical issues and who are disciplinary problems and those who run afoul of the law. These students will be disqualified from participation and their disqualifying factors made public record that will show up on the background check system thus barring them from firearms ownership.

Everyone else continues on, completes the required training and goes on with their life unhindered and free to exercise their 2A rights. This catches problem individuals early and ensure those who are not problems have proper proficiency with firearms. Oh, I can hear the howling from the firearms haters already ,but....deal with it.

As I aid, we are an armed nation and as such we have an obligation to ensure our citizens have the proper background and knowledge of firearms. If citizens choose to exercise their right they are ready and able to do so. If they choose not to exercise that right that obviously is fine as well. But everybody has the training and knowledge needed.

And no, there will be no government records kept on people, no registration or licensing requirements, or any other governmental invasion of privacy in who chooses to use their 2A rights beyond what already exists. At the federal level. States and municipalities must adhere to the Constitution. No more of this spot zoning of rights BS.

There it is. Simple, effective and welcome to the USA. A responsibly and properly armed nation.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Mass shooters are the 0.00000001% of the population, and no one condones it or is pro mass shooting - it is hardly "part of the culture". Adding MORE regulations to restrict the purchase is not attacking the issue, it is only impacting the law abiding citizens. Objecting to adding more restrictions that makes others "feel good: but does nothing to address the issue does not make someone "gun crazy". Mass shootings are a Mental health issue NOT a gun control issue, that is where the focus should be, many of the mass shooters have been reported prior but not been properly evaluated.

If try to deal with gun use in homicides, that is a different issue, most homicide perpetrators and victims involve those that have been arrested many times, more of a legal/court issue - could potentially be better addressed by stricter enforcement of the current laws, rather than add new ones.

Saying it is easy to obtain a gun tells me that you have not tried to buy a gun, at least not recently - and certainly not in CA, NJ, NY, IL etc. Much harder to obtain than many think.
Nicely said but you cant go around locking people up before they've commited a crime.
As for getting guns? i recently accompanied my brother to a flea market in Homossassa Florida where he easily purchased two hand guns .https://www.teenvogue.com/story/7-re...y-guns-america

Old 09-08-2019, 06:13 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is illegal in my state to register guns, as it should be.
Plenty of states have registration without any issues, what is the problem.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:18 AM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Make bullets and reload shells $100/ea.

Update the background check policy.

Make fingerprint safety lock modifications seamless.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Make bullets and reload shells $100/ea.

Update the background check policy.

Make fingerprint safety lock modifications seamless.

Ummmm....Say what? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Well, maybe "updating" the BC system to include mental health records could be read into option 2, but the rest I can't wrap my head around.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what exactly you mean by "bullets and reload shells", and "seamless fingerprint safety lock modifications?"

Old 09-08-2019, 06:48 AM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummmm....Say what? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Well, maybe "updating" the BC system to include mental health records could be read into option 2, but the rest I can't wrap my head around.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what exactly you mean by "bullets and reload shells", and "seamless fingerprint safety lock modifications?"

Make it law to sell ammo at $100+ each. Make every shot count.

A fingerprint system that attaches to your gun or is built in much like your phone needs to be developed. Similar to an infrared sensor.

While we're at it offer a buy back of all assault rifles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies