Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 04:32 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
While I fully agree with this 100%, if I were in charge I would add mandatory firearms safety, handling, cleaning and shooting classes a minimum of once a year from K-12 plus every year until they turn 30.

I would also eliminate ALL "Gun Free Zones" in ALL publicly accessible places including government buildings, schools, churches, ALL courthouses, city, State and federal buildings, all State and federal parks and finally ALL publicly accessible businesses UNLESS that business used security screening machines AND provided armed security readily available to provide life saving armed security for the patrons. The only public place I would allow a prohibition of firearms is jails, prisons and mental institutions and that prohibition would be limited to those who are incarcerated at those places. Further, if a person who has been convicted of a malum in se crime is released from jail or if a mental patient has been released from a mental institution because they are no longer considered a threat to others, they shall have their full natural right to posses and carry firearms. If that person is deemed to be a genuine danger, they should not be released until they are no longer considered a danger to others.

Finally, I would require ALL individuals on their own private property to display a "No Firearms" sign at each gate, and door entrance to their private property IF they are opposed to firearms being on their property. Then I would encourage their neighbors to post the following sign on their curb lawn.

I believe everyone, including former inmates who have completed their sentence has a natural right to self defense.
Flat out NO to both of your posts. My Dad and FIL were in WW2. Surely knew all about guns; were shot at and had to kill others. Never owned a gun after that. My daughter was in the National Guard. She also does not own a gun today. Maybe if she had been required in K-12 to know about gun safety, she would own a gun today?

I went along with my husband as a newlywed shooting at the range with him. I DID NOT LIKE IT. Why am I doing something I do not want to do just to please somebody else? No, No, NO. This ain't gonna work. I am not going to repeat how many times I had to defend myself, and I did without a gun.

What kind of sign should I put outside? We own guns, but NONE of us can use them? Husband is an old man with Parkinson's. Couldn't hit the backside of a barn any more. I cannot remember how to load and shoot a gun in so many decades, besides not wanting to. Come on inside and take our guns and shoot US!

You people, just don't get it. Do you want to throw people in jail for refusing to do all your mandatory gun training requirements? I am sure my Vet Dad, FIL, and quite a few other Vets we know at the VFW would tell you that you are crazy.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-07-2019 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 04:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I would mandate all guns to be registered upon sale, like we do with cars, houses, and other stuff.
And sale means all sales- sales in gun stores, gun shows, and private sales.

There are lots of old guns around that haven't been fired in decades, if ever, that are still fully functional. I think universal registration is a good way to track a gun, old or new, down if it is ever involved in a crime. If it's stolen, registration would return the gun to its rightful owner.

Stolen guns are more troublesome than openly purchased and legally purchased guns, I believe. Burglars go after them because they're quick sales illegally, and an illegal gun is a crook's favorite choice of weapon because they're so hard to trace.

Most legally purchased guns never get the owner into trouble, and most of those guns are never used in crime. An old gun can still shoot just as good as a brand-new gun, and one can go through many different owners over many years of ownership.

Registration on sale would allow tracking any gun back to it's most recent sale for most guns. Non-registered guns would be seized upon discovery until they were registered to someone.

Old vintage guns that cannot handle modern gunpowder would be registered as non-fireable antiques.

Pretty much like cars are handled now universally. Registration wouldn't interfere with any sales or trades, but it would help keep guns out of hands that should not hold them. Law abiding folks have the right to own a gun, but not felons.

Let the responsible owners be and concentrate on the felons.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Flat out NO to both of your posts. My Dad and FIL were in WW2. Surely knew all about guns; were shot at and had to kill others. Never owned a gun after that. My daughter was in the National Guard. She also does not own a gun today. Maybe if she had been required in K-12 to know about gun safety, she would own a gun today?

I went along with my husband as a newlywed shooting at the range with him. I DID NOT LIKE IT. Why am I doing something I do not want to do just to please somebody else? No, No, NO. This ain't gonna work. I am not going to repeat how many times I had to defend myself, and I did without a gun.

What kind of sign should I put outside? We own guns, but NONE of us can use them? Husband is an old man with Parkinson's. Couldn't hit the backside of a barn any more. I cannot remember how to load and shoot a gun in so many decades, besides not wanting to. Come on inside and take our guns and shoot US!

You people, just don't get it.
To each their own. I am of 3 years on JROTC rifle team, a veteran of the Navy, and when I've had to defend myself, it depended on the weapons at hand.

As I've said, if I have to fight, I'm putting people in the hospital......and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Bad guy sure is a convenient term isnt it?
One would think that the definition of a "bad guy" would somehow incorporate total innocents killed. The higher your number the more of a "bad guy" you are. To these folks, it's actually the opposite.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Stricter punishment for felons in possession of a weapon.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

You people, just don't get it.

Actually... we DO get it, and that's why I posted what I did.

The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) has upon two separate occasions ruled that police and law enforcement in general have zero duty to protect any person, much less every person. Therefore it is each individual's responsibility and duty to protect themselves. Any and everyone who is physically and mentally capable yet refuse to protect themselves, deserve NO protection from anyone else.

Just because you "don't like" firearms and/or are afraid of them, is NOT society's fault. Had we had mandatory firearms safety, handling, cleaning and shooting classes a minimum of once a year from K-12 plus every year until they turn 30, you likely wouldn't be afraid of them.

Your irrational FEAR of firearms or of people exercising their natural right to posses firearms, either in the open or concealed, does NOT give you the right to demand they not be able to exercise their natural right of self defense by possessing and carrying any firearm at ALL times.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 09-07-2019 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
One would think that the definition of a "bad guy" would somehow incorporate total innocents killed. The higher your number the more of a "bad guy" you are. To these folks, it's actually the opposite.
and those same killers, robbers, rapists and thugs are the ones who head/run the very corporation (usfedgovt inc.) that decides if we are worthy or not.
The blindspots and logical inconsistencies are stunning. Praise be the govt education system and corporate media.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:51 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that's fine.....changing the conditions of the statement when challenged on it. Before you stated by having one gun without restrictions, your right to bear arms was not infringed.

Now, being challenged about the plural, you change the conditions of the agreement.......which is what the government does. Which is why one should not trust them in agreements about one's rights.
I don't know what you've been reading but I haven't changed my argument at all.

I've been arguing to regulate additional funds since the start of this discussion, so I don't get where you think I've changed my conditions. The fact that I'm talking about regulating hon rights shows I don't take the 2A literally. So you pointing out something literal and me saying no, is not me changing anything.

Regardless, the govt decision to change it's mind about how things are regulated is not a reason for laws not getting passed. I'm sorry, but this a very ridiculous point you're trying to sell.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Actually you don’t have to do anything with guns.

End the drug war.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:31 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Back to the OP question...
To cut out the school shootings, which are perceived as (and actually are) the most horrific...I would make them just like Courthouses. One way in, One way out. Armed officers with a metal detector. Yes it would cost a little more, that shouldn't matter when we're talking the most innocent of lives should it? Just let go a couple teachers from each school and it's a wash....Also let any teachers that have the backbone for it carry concealed.

That won't stop Wal Mart shootings, etc....but it'll surely take 99% of school shootings out of the news....

A good way to stop the other mass shootings is to make it easier to get a CCW for everyone that wants one. Some counties make it ridiculously hard to get one....no, that won't solve the problem, but will make the crazies think before they jump....and get rid of 'Gun Free Zones' wherever possible.

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies