U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 12:11 PM
 
6,751 posts, read 4,680,087 times
Reputation: 13506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
I was fat, but changed the amount of crap food that I used to eat, and started biking 45-60 miles twice a week. It didnít happen overnight, but took about six years. Itís possible with the right motivation.
What was your motivation? To avoid the fat shamers or a personal/health goal? What made you decide to eat healthier, exercise and lose the weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 12:13 PM
 
12,738 posts, read 3,443,287 times
Reputation: 4281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't think fat shaming is the answer.
No fat person is going to lose weight because you shamed them into it.
The problem is there's still too much access to unhealthy, cheap, poor quality fast food. There needs to be a cultural change in how fast food is viewed. Every food chain ad I ever see on TV advertises some variation of meat laden with cheese, often deep fried.
And you're supposed to look at that and think 'that looks good' - and a lot of people do. Because it's cheap, instant gratification.
There needs to be a cultural change in how Americans view what they're eating.
I disagree.

Depending on the person's family and social set, there might be quite a bit of pressure to be thinner. Pressure that the person might respond to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:14 PM
 
Location: AZ
2,242 posts, read 469,461 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
What was your motivation? To avoid the fat shamers or a personal/health goal? What made you decide to eat healthier, exercise and lose the weight?
It was the realization that I wasn’t getting any younger, and that the task of losing weight wasn’t going to get any easier with age.

Exercise also significantly reduced my stress levels from work and the other ongoings of life...which helped to further reduce the stress-eating that I used to engage in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:15 PM
 
10,734 posts, read 6,439,936 times
Reputation: 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I have to lose a some weight and I think it's silly how we're all supposed to dance around and not hurt people feelings. Someone calls me a fat boy I'd be like well, they might have a point. LOL.

I do also think in polite society we shouldn't go around calling people "fat boy" but we also shouldn't be mollycoddling people either.

We've turned in a nation of damn sissies anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
I was fat, but changed the amount of crap food that I used to eat, and started biking 45-60 miles twice a week. It didnít happen overnight, but took about six years. Itís possible with the right motivation.
Spot on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
If I was obese I donít think I could be out in public. I donít have body issues as is, but I have more pride than to allow myself to get to that point. Donít workout. Just work and eat healthy.
Well, I do dress well ( it isn't easy) and I have nice footwear. And my wife is a cute little thing... so ... even being fat, life isn't so bad.
Got this size from a period of 20 years of living to excess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:18 PM
 
12,075 posts, read 3,003,276 times
Reputation: 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If you combine the obesity problem with the current uber casual fashion styles, you get fat slobs.
If you are single and in shape and well groomed, you will have very little competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,590 posts, read 20,512,491 times
Reputation: 47024
I don't think it is anyone's business and I think those that feel free to comment on a stranger's weight should also feel free to receive a bloody nose. Yeah, I know, real mature.

My husband got chunky. Why? Because he had an injury and couldn't work out. Injury wasn't obvious to an observer.

My I ballooned up (still within normal BMI) because of a med I was taking. No amount of calorie counting or exercise worked at reducing the weight.

None of that, or any other reason a person may be over weight is open for strangers to comment on or mock. You have no idea if they have thyroid issues, injuries, metabolic problems or what not.

Not to mention, I've seen lots of people who did not consider themselves over weight that I found to be fat - but I would never comment on it. Or guys who fat shame women, that have no room to talk. Fat CAN be lost, ugly is forever (and that counts for ugly personalities too).
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
6 posts, read 913 times
Reputation: 24
In my youth, when I was severely depressed, I tried Prozac and ballooned up to 180 pounds at 5'2". It wasn't pretty and I knew that people were judging me, so I decided I'd rather commit suicide than be fat and stopped taking it. I am opposed to fat-shaming. There are a lot of factors in why a person is overweight: financial, medical, genetic. I don't think obesity should be glorified but we can promote health and fitness in a positive manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:25 PM
 
6,751 posts, read 4,680,087 times
Reputation: 13506
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
It was the realization that I wasnít getting any younger, and that the task of losing weight wasnít going to get any easier with age.
I get it. As a woman past menopause maintaining the weight Iíve been since HS gets harder every year. Iíve had to exercise more and eat less as the years go by. I used to be able to have dessert every night. Now itís a rare treat!!

I also question if the diet industry isnít a large part of the problem with obesity. I feel bad for anyone trying to navigate the huge amounts of BS being touted by ďexpertsĒ in attempts to sell their products or books. Paleo, Keto, clean eating, cleanses, veganism, counting points etc. have not made us any thinner. I suspect lots of people try and fail because programs like these are too restrictive and hard to follow long term.

Simple calories in, calories out is all people need. Yes, any individual may lose more weight more quickly with one of the diet programs above, but few can sustain them over the long haul. I think we need to stop demonizing certain foods and focus on moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:26 PM
 
Location: AZ
2,242 posts, read 469,461 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think it is anyone's business and I think those that feel free to comment on a stranger's weight should also feel free to receive a bloody nose. Yeah, I know, real mature.

My husband got chunky. Why? Because he had an injury and couldn't work out. Injury wasn't obvious to an observer.

My I ballooned up (still within normal BMI) because of a med I was taking. No amount of calorie counting or exercise worked at reducing the weight.

None of that, or any other reason a person may be over weight is open for strangers to comment on or mock. You have no idea if they have thyroid issues, injuries, metabolic problems or what not.

Not to mention, I've seen lots of people who did not consider themselves over weight that I found to be fat - but I would never comment on it. Or guys who fat shame women, that have no room to talk. Fat CAN be lost, ugly is forever (and that counts for ugly personalities too).
Iíll tell you what; Iím mature enough to keep comments to myself when out in public, but immature enough that they still pop into my head.

Thatís not to say I think people should be shamed in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:28 PM
 
10,734 posts, read 6,439,936 times
Reputation: 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
It was the realization that I wasnít getting any younger, and that the task of losing weight wasnít going to get any easier with age.

Exercise also significantly reduced my stress levels from work and the other ongoings of life...which helped to further reduce the stress-eating that I used to engage in.
That is a huge (pun intended ? ) motivator. I just turned 50 recently, and am feeling the effects. A day of snowmobiling or riding my sport quad hurts much more than it used to. I definitely need to do something, and when I do , I drop 25-30 , feel awesome then fall right back into the same routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top