U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

32,605 posts, read 20,524,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I get it. As a woman past menopause maintaining the weight Iíve been since HS gets harder every year. Iíve had to exercise more and eat less as the years go by. I used to be able to have dessert every night. Now itís a rare treat!!

I also question if the diet industry isnít a large part of the problem with obesity. I feel bad for anyone trying to navigate the huge amounts of BS being touted by ďexpertsĒ in attempts to sell their products or books. Paleo, Keto, clean eating, cleanses, veganism, counting points etc. have not made us any thinner. I suspect lots of people try and fail because programs like these are too restrictive and hard to follow long term.

Simple calories in, calories out is all people need. Yes, any individual may lose more weight more quickly with one of the diet programs above, but few can sustain them over the long haul. I think we need to stop demonizing certain foods and focus on moderation.

Moderation, variety, activity and nutrition (IMO).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 471,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is a huge (pun intended ? ) motivator. I just turned 50 recently, and am feeling the effects. A day of snowmobiling or riding my sport quad hurts much more than it used to. I definitely need to do something, and when I do , I drop 25-30 , feel awesome then fall right back into the same routine.
It’s always going to be a constant battle for those of us who didn’t luck out with genetics (I had/have some BIG family members on my dad’s side, and most of the men didn’t live past 60)....but yea, it’s infinitely easier for me to do my favorite activities without any fallout from being out of shape.

Exercise and healthy eating will always be a love/hate relationship for me.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

6,761 posts, read 4,683,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Moderation, variety, activity and nutrition (IMO).
Yep. Iím more of a believer in losing weight being about what you still can do (in moderation) instead of what youíre banned from doing. And in finding a way of eating that you can sustain long term.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yep. Iím more of a believer in losing weight being about what you still can do (in moderation) instead of what youíre banned from doing. And in finding a way of eating that you can sustain long term.
Absolutely. Find what you like and build on that. It's what I did with the kids. Try everything once, tell me what you like, and healthy dinners were built from there. But, moderation, and sometimes you need a steak and a dessert.

I think most would have better results learning to cook at home, and learn to use flavor to replace what you are missing. Spicy, tangy, garlicky..... if you try hard enough you can make cardboard taste good.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

40,853 posts, read 40,444,982 times
Quote:
I don't think it is anyone's business and I think those that feel free to comment on a stranger's weight should also feel free to receive a bloody nose. Yeah, I know, real mature.

My husband got chunky. Why? Because he had an injury and couldn't work out. Injury wasn't obvious to an observer.

My I ballooned up (still within normal BMI) because of a med I was taking. No amount of calorie counting or exercise worked at reducing the weight.

None of that, or any other reason a person may be over weight is open for strangers to comment on or mock. You have no idea if they have thyroid issues, injuries, metabolic problems or what not.

Not to mention, I've seen lots of people who did not consider themselves over weight that I found to be fat - but I would never comment on it. Or guys who fat shame women, that have no room to talk. Fat CAN be lost, ugly is forever (and that counts for ugly personalities too).
I was careful to say that people shouldn't be called names in "polite society" I also don't think that we should be essentially giving people pass on being fat either. Obesity is an epidemic and it's causing premature death and a whole host of other problems. Insurance and health care costs also come to mind. Everyone that has to lose weight struggles and we all know it's not easy, I personally understand it for myself.

No one has any right to say rude or hurtful things to other people at all. I was joking around about someone calling me a fat boy. I just think we've gotten a place in the country where everyone has a meltdown over the smallest of things, granted being called fat isn't that smallest of things, no pun intended here.

I think Bill Maher says stuff like this all of the time. It's part of his schtick.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was careful to say that people shouldn't be called names in "polite society" I also don't think that we should be essentially giving people pass on being fat either. Obesity is an epidemic and it's causing premature death and a whole host of other problems. Insurance and health care costs also come to mind. Everyone that has to lose weight struggles and we all know it's not easy, I personally understand it for myself.

No one has any right to say rude or hurtful things to other people at all. I was joking around about someone calling me a fat boy. I just think we've gotten a place in the country where everyone has a meltdown over the smallest of things, granted being called fat isn't that smallest of things, no pun intended here.

I think Bill Maher says stuff like this all of the time. It's part of his schtick.

Yeah, I don't care what Maher says, it's comedy and it all gets a free pass from me whether I like it or not.

I don't think YOU would be a jerk, but some of these other posters?

I definitely think obesity is a problem, heck my first husband died of a heart attack at 43 and he was over weight. I'm pretty much a health nut, but he would have none of that.

Shaming is not going to help, but honestly, I'm not sure what will. Removing 60% of grocery selections? Most of the middle aisles are not fit for consumption. Limited the saturation of the fast food market?

You can't keep putting food engineered to make people crave it, in front of them everywhere, and then act surprised that we have an epidemic.

Look what happened with healthy school lunches.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

40,853 posts, read 40,444,982 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't care what Maher says, it's comedy and it all gets a free pass from me whether I like it or not.

I don't think YOU would be a jerk, but some of these other posters?

I definitely think obesity is a problem, heck my first husband died of a heart attack at 43 and he was over weight. I'm pretty much a health nut, but he would have none of that.

Shaming is not going to help, but honestly, I'm not sure what will. Removing 60% of grocery selections? Most of the middle aisles are not fit for consumption. Limited the saturation of the fast food market?

You can't keep putting food engineered to make people crave it, in front of them everywhere, and then act surprised that we have an epidemic.

Look what happened with healthy school lunches.

I completely agree. We didn't see these levels of obesity back in the 70's and 80's. Lots of things going on with the food industry, advertising, and a plethora of things all sorta contribute to these issues in my opinion.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

4,430 posts, read 4,672,161 times
I agree with him although it's probably too late.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

7,216 posts, read 2,619,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For those that can, I completely agree. And I'm a fat person.
Everybody can, that's the point.

Everybody can run a caloric deficit and lose weight. The "hard" comes in two parts:
  1. Most people overestimate their basal metabolic rate (caloric need for the day at normal sedentary burn rate) and underestimates the calories they are consuming and end up running calorie surplus.
  2. Most people overestimate the calories burned during exercise as a pure bonus to basal metabolic rate, and then consume even more calories past that and end up running calorie surplus.
But knowledge is power, and those mistakes can be fixed.

Then comes actually understanding food, and getting rid of processed carbs, processed everything really, empty calories, etc. Sugar is the big bugaboo, and it's in everything. Do Whole 30 just once, for 30 days and really adhere to it rigorously, and you'll be amazed at how much stuff has processed, added and wildly unnecessary sugar, gluten, and other crap you really don't need to eat.

After that, it is a matter of will. Nothing more, nothing less, no excuses except willpower and determination, and an acceptance that losing weight properly is a slow, steady process. To lose 1 pound per week, you need to average a ~600 calorie deficit every single day without fail. Do that, and no mater what you body type is, what excuses you've adopted, whatever...you will lose weight, guaranteed. All you need to do is really understand what your daily caloric needs really are. Dimes to donuts says they're 300-600 calories less than anyone thinks.

That's why understanding food is so important. Understand why processed carbs are evil, and avoid them. Understand why late night snacking is bad, and avoid it. Understand why 8+ hours of sleep matters, and get to bed. Etc. And yeah, exercise. But 90% of weight loss happens in your kitchen and your mind, and the other 10% is activity.

ANYONE CAN DO IT. They choose to do it, or they choose not to, but ANYONE CAN DO IT.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; Yesterday at 01:41 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

10,157 posts, read 4,534,482 times
Quote:
I get it. As a woman past menopause maintaining the weight Iíve been since HS gets harder every year. Iíve had to exercise more and eat less as the years go by. I used to be able to have dessert every night. Now itís a rare treat!!

I also question if the diet industry isnít a large part of the problem with obesity. I feel bad for anyone trying to navigate the huge amounts of BS being touted by ďexpertsĒ in attempts to sell their products or books. Paleo, Keto, clean eating, cleanses, veganism, counting points etc. have not made us any thinner. I suspect lots of people try and fail because programs like these are too restrictive and hard to follow long term.

Simple calories in, calories out is all people need. Yes, any individual may lose more weight more quickly with one of the diet programs above, but few can sustain them over the long haul. I think we need to stop demonizing certain foods and focus on moderation.
Yep. It's really no more complicated than that. Just track all of the calories you take in in a 24 hour period. Then reduce that number if you're trying to loose weight. These exotic diets we hear about, Scarsdale, South Beach, no-carb, low-carb, etc. are basically BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or