U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM
 
7,253 posts, read 2,628,987 times
Reputation: 3969

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Yep. It's really no more complicated than that. Just track all of the calories you take in in a 24 hour period. Then reduce that number if you're trying to loose weight. These exotic diets we hear about, Scarsdale, South Beach, no-carb, low-carb, etc. are basically BS.
The only thing most diets get right is lowering how much processed crap you eat. Generally, the best diet is the one where you teach yourself how to eat proper food, regardless of calorie counting. If simply counting calories, a 16oz soda is equivalent to ~8-9 serving of steamed broccoli. Take a wild guess which one would result in better nutrition.

Getting rid of as much processed/added/unnecessary carbs will be a feature in any proper diet plan. After that, it's understanding the gazillion bajillion food traps we have here in the Obese States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM
 
10,881 posts, read 6,467,506 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Everybody can, that's the point.

Everybody can run a caloric deficit and lose weight. The "hard" comes in two parts:
  1. Most people overestimate their basal metabolic rate (caloric need for the day at normal sedentary burn rate) and underestimates the calories they are consuming and end up running calorie surplus.
  2. Most people overestimate the calories burned during exercise as a pure bonus to basal metabolic rate, and then consume even more calories past that and end up running calorie surplus.
But knowledge is power, and those mistakes can be fixed.

Then comes actually understanding food, and getting rid of processed carbs, processed everything really, empty calories, etc. Sugar is the big bugaboo, and it's in everything. Do Whole 30 just once, for 30 days and really adhere to it rigorously, and you'll be amazed at how much stuff has processed, added and wildly unnecessary sugar, gluten, and other crap you really don't need to eat.

After that, it is a matter of will. Nothing more, nothing less, no excuses except willpower and determination, and an acceptance that losing weight properly is a slow, steady process. To lose 1 pound per week, you need to average a ~600 calorie deficit every single day without fail. Do that, and no mater what you body type is, what excuses you've adopted, whatever...you will lose weight, guaranteed. All you need to do is really understand what your daily caloric needs really are. Dimes to donuts says they're 300-600 calories less than anyone thinks.

That's why understanding food is so important. Understand why processed carbs are evil, and avoid them. Understand why late night snacking is bad, and avoid it. Understand why 8+ hours of sleep matters, and get to bed. Etc. And yeah, exercise. But 90% of weight loss happens in your kitchen and your mind, and the other 10% is activity.

ANYONE CAN DO IT. They choose to do it, or they choose not to, but ANYONE CAN DO IT.
I'm not saying I am one of these. I'm fat and I know why.
I'm sure there are those that have medical and physical conditions that might prohibit them from being fit. That is the reason I said "for those that can"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 02:08 PM
 
7,253 posts, read 2,628,987 times
Reputation: 3969
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm not saying I am one of these. I'm fat and I know why.
I'm sure there are those that have medical and physical conditions that might prohibit them from being fit. That is the reason I said "for those that can"
Thing is, almost every morbidly obese person claims they are physically unable to lose weight, and it's nonsense 99% of the time. It's not thyroid, genetics, or anything else. It's a pattern of sustained poor choice, poor behavior and lack of will.

I am like you, I get it. I need to drop another 30-40 pounds of fat and then gain maybe 10-15 pounds of muscle and I'll be at my physical goal, and laziness is my only reason for being that far away from the goal. Not genetics, my job, life stress, etc. Laziness, plain and simple, same as 99% of the other fat people out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 02:09 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
10,203 posts, read 4,554,259 times
Reputation: 5673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The only thing most diets get right is lowering how much processed crap you eat. Generally, the best diet is the one where you teach yourself how to eat proper food, regardless of calorie counting. If simply counting calories, a 16oz soda is equivalent to ~8-9 serving of steamed broccoli. Take a wild guess which one would result in better nutrition.

Getting rid of as much processed/added/unnecessary carbs will be a feature in any proper diet plan. After that, it's understanding the gazillion bajillion food traps we have here in the Obese States of America.
Pretty much agree. Losing weight is not enough if your subsisting on a diet of junk food and not exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 02:22 PM
 
6,459 posts, read 3,483,251 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Congrats on your use of circular-logic as an attempted deflection.

Donít like being called fat? Lose weight. Problem solved.
Not really, just applying the same standard for Bill Maher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 PM
 
10,881 posts, read 6,467,506 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Thing is, almost every morbidly obese person claims they are physically unable to lose weight, and it's nonsense 99% of the time. It's not thyroid, genetics, or anything else. It's a pattern of sustained poor choice, poor behavior and lack of will.

I am like you, I get it. I need to drop another 30-40 pounds of fat and then gain maybe 10-15 pounds of muscle and I'll be at my physical goal, and laziness is my only reason for being that far away from the goal. Not genetics, my job, life stress, etc. Laziness, plain and simple, same as 99% of the other fat people out there.
Mine is portion control, alcohol, lack of exercise, and motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:42 PM
 
7,253 posts, read 2,628,987 times
Reputation: 3969
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Mine is portion control, alcohol, lack of exercise, and motivation.
Same here, on all four reasons.

And I fight with myself all the time on all four. Exercise and motivation are easier than portion control. Alcohol gets less and less every passing year and now I am like 3 glasses of wine per week, maybe. But portion control...always a personal bugaboo.

[clinton]I feel your pain[/clinton]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM
 
6,828 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Reputation: 13538
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Pretty much agree. Losing weight is not enough if your subsisting on a diet of junk food and not exercising.
Studies show just losing weight improves health a great deal even if the person is eating a suboptimal diet and not exercising. Losing weight is the most important thing. And IMO trying to do too much too fast could lead to someone throwing up their hands, claiming itís too hard and quitting. Trying to change all your issues at once could be more harm than help. And yet most of the advertised diets do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,669 posts, read 20,579,720 times
Reputation: 47172
We use smaller plates, I know it sounds silly, but it helps. Plus, I try to make "X" amount, especially with any carbs or proteins. DH and I always split the chop, steak or breast. All the veggies you want though.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:09 PM
 
7,257 posts, read 1,883,095 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Of course they would, especially young people. Societal trends matter - a lot.
Smoking was ubiquitous at one time. I'm not sure why it is ok to shame an addiction like that to nicotine, which is tough to beat. But it is accepted and even encouraged to gorge oneself into bad health.
You are right. People are motivated by two things. Avoiding pain or gaining pleasure. If being fat is painful socially that can be motivating for someone to improve themselves.

The whole point of fat acceptance was to get fat people to not want to lose weight and feel good about being fat. There is no pain in that so no reason to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top