U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:16 PM

7,257 posts, read 1,883,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Most overweight people would far rather not be overweight. If they could lose weight, they would.
I agree that smoking, once viewed as cool became social taboo.

This is what needs to become social taboo... ads like this currently to be found at Arbys.
This is pure ridiculous. Nobody needs to eat this amount of meat and cheese.

Every fast food chain you care to think of advertises similar unhealthy garbage on their front page and it's considered acceptable and indeed desirable.
This is what needs to change.
The meat and cheese are fine. Its the high carb bun that is the problem. As well as the sugary soda and whatever type of deep fried potato product goes with the sandwich. Fast food chains are providing what people want. And most have salads on their menu. They are just not as popular. And its not just an American problem. When they do studies Mexico is usually neck and neck with us on which country is fatter. And Mexicans in Mexico eat less from fast food restaurants than we do.

And I don't think banning food from being advertised is a good idea. That is a slippery slope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM

7,171 posts, read 3,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The meat and cheese are fine. Its the high carb bun that is the problem. As well as the sugary soda and whatever type of deep fried potato product goes with the sandwich. Fast food chains are providing what people want. And most have salads on their menu. They are just not as popular. And its not just an American problem. When they do studies Mexico is usually neck and neck with us on which country is fatter. And Mexicans in Mexico eat less from fast food restaurants than we do.

And I don't think banning food from being advertised is a good idea. That is a slippery slope.
Of course they're not as popular.
"I fancy a salad. I know, let's go and get one at Arby's", said nobody ever. You don't go to a fast food restaurant of that nature for a salad. You go for meat, laden with cheese, on bread.

Here the description under one of Abys salads:

Quote:
True, this is a salad. But don't give up on it yet. This salad is topped with meat! Not only is it piled high with crispy chicken, it has a layer of diced pepper bacon. It also comes with the usual salad stuff like chopped fresh lettuce, diced tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese.
This is a salad but dont give up on it yet? Theyre not even pretending to try to sell it.

I never at any point would suggest that anyone should ban food advertising.

My point is that the culture and attitude towards food in American needs a sea change.
People need to recognize that meat + cheese + bread and no vegetables every day is neither desirable or healthy.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 PM

1,873 posts, read 578,681 times
Instead of "fat shaming", just make all the fatties pay more for food and healthcare in taxes.

Personal Responsibility.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:54 PM

32,669 posts, read 20,579,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Instead of "fat shaming", just make all the fatties pay more for food and healthcare in taxes.

Personal Responsibility.

Make sure you include all the smokers, alcoholics, druggies, skinny people who eat garbage and everyone else.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-09-2019, 05:09 PM

7,257 posts, read 1,883,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Of course they're not as popular.
"I fancy a salad. I know, let's go and get one at Arby's", said nobody ever. You don't go to a fast food restaurant of that nature for a salad. You go for meat, laden with cheese, on bread.

Here the description under one of Abys salads:

This is a salad but dont give up on it yet? Theyre not even pretending to try to sell it.

I never at any point would suggest that anyone should ban food advertising.

My point is that the culture and attitude towards food in American needs a sea change.
People need to recognize that meat + cheese + bread and no vegetables every day is neither desirable or healthy.

We are on the same page then. There are fast food places that have side salads that are healthy. In fact Arby's has a side salad that has 70 calories and 4 carbs. Perhaps the only healthy thing they sell. But running ads featuring that salad is not going to bring the masses into the restaurant.

As far as changing people attitude on food. Its in our DNA to crave food. And up until the last century or so the vast majority of people on this planet struggled to have enough to eat. Combine the fact that food is cheap and plentiful (especially junk food) and the fact that most people have sedentary jobs puts us where we are at. People have a lot of bad habits and make bad choices in life. Overeating is more obvious than many others. So I am not very hopeful that things will ever drastically change. Unless we can create food products that satisfy the desire to eat junk food but are not bad for us.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM

1,873 posts, read 578,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Make sure you include all the smokers, alcoholics, druggies, skinny people who eat garbage and everyone else.
Sure, user taxes are a great way to stop subsidizing costly behavior. Also, stop subsidizing sugary crops. As far as obesity, how much are we paying in medicare and medicaid due to preventable diseases? Makes no sense subsidizing both the cause and treatment.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM

24,110 posts, read 33,233,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Well, sometimes you have to be an a$$hole or a jerk to prove a valid point. Being over weight has become acceptable in this country. So called "thick" women get more attention than a woman who is in good shape.

I do think that comparing the two is apples & oranges (shootings vs being fat). But he is right that people not being ashamed of being fat anymore.
I actually agree. "Fat acceptance" is absurd. We each have a responsibility to ourselves to be healthy, and fat people cost the system so much money; they're making healthcare more expensive for all of us.

Stop stuffing your faces. It really is that simple.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:46 AM

10,881 posts, read 6,467,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I actually agree. "Fat acceptance" is absurd. We each have a responsibility to ourselves to be healthy, and fat people cost the system so much money; they're making healthcare more expensive for all of us.

Stop stuffing your faces. It really is that simple.
Just curious. How so ?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:58 AM

24,110 posts, read 33,233,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just curious. How so ?
If you were that curious, you'd Google it yourself.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM

10,881 posts, read 6,467,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you were that curious, you'd Google it yourself.
Great answer and so helpful to the discussion ! You get a big star for the day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or