U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM
 
7,257 posts, read 1,883,095 times
Reputation: 4331

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Great answer and so helpful to the discussion ! You get a big star for the day....

I am surprised anyone would think that obesity does not raise healthcare costs. Obviously it does.



https://www.stateofobesity.org/healt...costs-obesity/


Obesity is one of the biggest drivers of preventable chronic diseases and healthcare costs in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Up North
4,649 posts, read 1,185,597 times
Reputation: 2727
I watch Maher pretty regularly, which is strange because i disagree with him probably at least 95% of the time. I like watching him for some reason though I couldn't disagree with him more.


That said, I think he was right on the fat shaming thing.



Can someone explain this to me though? In Africa, if you are poor you are skinny - have flies on you and whatnot.


How is it that the obese in America are the opposite of logic? How can obesity be a problem of the poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Up North
4,649 posts, read 1,185,597 times
Reputation: 2727
I dumpster dive for food now. I just started doing this within the last year. I just found a chain that tosses dumpsters full of produce - most of it perfectly fine.

You know what's funny? I clean buildings for a living, and you know how many cubicle dwellers I see eating McDonald's and fast food daily? And here I am eating produce I salvaged out of dumpsters that mostly is completely fine.

Someone on another thread said I was playing with fire by eating "garbage". But who wants to bet I will be healthier after a year of eating smoothies/fruits/veggies than these cubicle dwellers who eat Mickie-Ds every day?


Point being, if I really ate the way I wanted to, I would probably have to spend a fortune. But the truth is, Mickie-Ds is not cheap.

So...how do poor people afford to eat so well in America? Is it food stamps (EBS)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,671 posts, read 20,579,720 times
Reputation: 47172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I watch Maher pretty regularly, which is strange because i disagree with him probably at least 95% of the time. I like watching him for some reason though I couldn't disagree with him more.


That said, I think he was right on the fat shaming thing.



Can someone explain this to me though? In Africa, if you are poor you are skinny - have flies on you and whatnot.


How is it that the obese in America are the opposite of logic? How can obesity be a problem of the poor?

Low quality, inexpensive fast food. Plus the definition of poverty in a first world country and a third world country isn't even comparable.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Up North
4,649 posts, read 1,185,597 times
Reputation: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Low quality, inexpensive fast food. Plus the definition of poverty in a first world country and a third world country isn't even comparable.
McDonald's is NOT cheap though, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,671 posts, read 20,579,720 times
Reputation: 47172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
McDonald's is NOT cheap though, IMO.

They don't have a dollar menu?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Up North
4,649 posts, read 1,185,597 times
Reputation: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They don't have a dollar menu?
In order to be a fatty eating off the "dollar menu" you have to consume more than $3/day. I would suspect.


And even if you bought three dollar menu chicken sandwiches a day (you are NOT going to get fat if that is all you consume daily), that would be $90/mo for one person (not at all cheap living in my world).


So what gives?


These people are living large off the taxpayer (welfare)...that is the only conclusion a person could come to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,671 posts, read 20,579,720 times
Reputation: 47172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
In order to be a fatty eating off the "dollar menu" you have to consume more than $3/day. I would suspect.


And even if you bought three dollar menu chicken sandwiches a day (you are NOT going to get fat if that is all you consume daily), that would be $90/mo for one person (not at all cheap living in my world).


So what gives?


These people are living large off the taxpayer (welfare)...that is the only conclusion a person could come to.


The other 2 points: fast, convenient



$90 a month is insanely cheap in my world.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Up North
4,649 posts, read 1,185,597 times
Reputation: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The other 2 points: fast, convenient



$90 a month is insanely cheap in my world.
For one person? Sure. But that's not the case anyways.


Because surely a poor person would be spending way more than that. Because they are not likely just buying 3 $3 items off the Dollar Menu daily. They are surely buying cookies, and milk, and soda and so on.


And what about the women that have 6 kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,671 posts, read 20,579,720 times
Reputation: 47172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
For one person? Sure. But that's not the case anyways.


Because surely a poor person would be spending way more than that. Because they are not likely just buying 3 $3 items off the Dollar Menu daily. They are surely buying cookies, and milk, and soda and so on.


And what about the women that have 6 kids?
What about the ones who don't?



You seem more intent on discussing things other than just obesity. It's not like it is JUST the poor, the welfare recipients, minorities or single moms.

It's everyone.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top