U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,189,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What about the ones who don't?

You seem more intent on discussing things other than just obesity. It's not like it is JUST the poor, the welfare recipients, minorities or single moms.

It's everyone.

Even the women that don't have 6 kids - who are living off the Dollar Menu - are consuming more than just Dollar Menu items.

I'm not some nutritionist but I know for a fact even the skinniest of people can not get obese just eating $3/day off dollar menu items. It's just not possible.

That's like...a little over a thousand calories a day. So something is fishy with this rhetoric about "poor people are fat because they can't afford to eat healthy" stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

6,558 posts, read 4,284,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is a huge (pun intended ? ) motivator. I just turned 50 recently, and am feeling the effects. A day of snowmobiling or riding my sport quad hurts much more than it used to. I definitely need to do something, and when I do , I drop 25-30 , feel awesome then fall right back into the same routine.
Whenever someone who is physically active gets injured and has to pause their routine, this is usually the result. The problem is, that when we get older, the injuries, or simply just pain when we do something out of the ordinary, can set us back. I wish I had the answer.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 5,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Whenever someone who is physically active gets injured and has to pause their routine, this is usually the result. The problem is, that when we get older, the injuries, or simply just pain when we do something out of the ordinary, can set us back. I wish I had the answer.
True. Add to that Meds. Lots of meds lead to weight gain. Thatís my excuse anyway

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

32,682 posts, read 20,588,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

That's like...a little over a thousand calories a day. So something is fishy with this rhetoric about "poor people are fat because they can't afford to eat healthy" stuff.

Well I don't think anyone said that. It is a combination of factors and it is a complicated issue. A huge problem I mentioned up thread is that foods have literally been engineered to be addicting, and make people crave them. They are the unhealthy foods.

And like I said, it is NOT just the poor who are over weight, plenty of wealthy are too, and all those in between.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

6,558 posts, read 4,284,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
True. Add to that Meds. Lots of meds lead to weight gain. Thatís my excuse anyway
I blame my wife. She was always bringing home junk. Got udpest when I wouldn't eat what she fixed.

Last year she had a health problem and had to lose weight. She got smart with her shopping, and fixed smaller portions. She did good with her weight. I did fantastic. Went from 280 down to 238, before we went on a cruise. I gained back a little weight on the cruise, she stayed about the same. But, her old habits mentioned above came back. Before I knew it I was back up to 260. I started trying to cut back on my own, but have only managed to hover around 160 for the last few months. She weighs about 200lbs. Maybe it would be healthier for me in the long run if I lost 200lbs.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

22,466 posts, read 22,043,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Most overweight people would far rather not be overweight. If they could lose weight, they would.
I agree that smoking, once viewed as cool became social taboo.

^^^
This is what needs to become social taboo... ads like this currently to be found at Arbys.
This is pure ridiculous. Nobody needs to eat this amount of meat and cheese.

Every fast food chain you care to think of advertises similar unhealthy garbage on their front page and it's considered acceptable and indeed desirable.
This is what needs to change.
I agree. Fast food, junk food, soda, lifestyle. The obesity epidemic didnt happen because being over weight was suddenly acceptable, it didnt happen because people were over eating. Over a period of time our life styles changed. We are too busy, we love convenience and self indulgence. It became ok to eat out a lot, to snack. Our food became processed, laden with sugar and saturated fat and our bodies and minds crave it. On top of the changes in the way we eat we also became more sedimentary.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

9,669 posts, read 2,944,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you agree Bill Maher or is he being his usual jerk!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...052918084.html
Resurrecting fat shaming will make no difference. Fat acceptance is a result of the increase in obesity, not a cause.

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

4,657 posts, read 1,189,757 times
The fat acceptance/celebration stuff is just nonsense.

"Full bodied" women being celebrated on magazine covers and things of that nature is just ridiculous.

I get that some people probably have imbalances in their chemistry that probably make it difficult for them to lose weight, but I certainly think the left is of their rockers in sort of celebrating obesity.

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

40,897 posts, read 40,494,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The fat acceptance/celebration stuff is just nonsense.

"Full bodied" women being celebrated on magazine covers and things of that nature is just ridiculous.

I get that some people probably have imbalances in their chemistry that probably make it difficult for them to lose weight, but I certainly think the left is of their rockers in sort of celebrating obesity.
I was saying similar things upthread, the celebration and the whole you go girl thing is silly, man or woman, doesn't matter really.

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

5,597 posts, read 1,628,403 times
"We shamed them out of littering and most of them out of racism."
Shaming people out of racism is having the opposite effect.
So many people have been accused of racism undeservedly, that the person making the accusation is most likely in the wrong, while the 'racist' person is most likely the victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or