U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 AM
 
1,812 posts, read 445,501 times
Reputation: 553

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Constructive criticism, but deriding people for their looks is just wrong. That being said, the trend the Media is promoting for "larger" women is UNHEALTHY and can lead to Diabetes, Heart problems, High Blood Pressure, and other serious health conditions. It is IRRESPONSIBLE to glorify fat people.
Add to the list some corporations who decided to go woke like Gillette did after "his boys will be boys video" to go with fat acceptance.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeMABYLK7RI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
7,136 posts, read 3,881,672 times
Reputation: 4750
I don't think fat shaming is the answer.
No fat person is going to lose weight because you shamed them into it.
The problem is there's still too much access to unhealthy, cheap, poor quality fast food. There needs to be a cultural change in how fast food is viewed. Every food chain ad I ever see on TV advertises some variation of meat laden with cheese, often deep fried.
And you're supposed to look at that and think 'that looks good' - and a lot of people do. Because it's cheap, instant gratification.
There needs to be a cultural change in how Americans view what they're eating.

Last edited by Cruithne; 09-07-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 AM
 
5,158 posts, read 2,071,637 times
Reputation: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Add to the list some corporations who decided to go woke like Gillette did after "his boys will be boys video" to go with fat acceptance.

This Gillette ad campaign makes sense... there's a whole lot there to shave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,260 posts, read 10,562,097 times
Reputation: 11298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't think fat shaming is the answer.
No fat person is going to lose weight because you shamed them into it.
The problem is there's still too much access to unhealthy cheap, poor quality fast food. There needs to be a cultural change in how fast food is viewed. Every food chain ad I ever see on TV advertises some variation of meat laden with cheese, often deep fried.
And you're supposed to look at that and think 'that looks good' - and a lot of people do. Because it's cheap, instant gratification.
There needs to cultural change in how Americans view what they're eating.
This is true, and s large part of it is because were working longer hours for less money ( in relation to COL) and dont have time to cook at home like we used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 AM
 
12,323 posts, read 6,852,459 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't think fat shaming is the answer.
No fat person is going to lose weight because you shamed them into it.
Of course they would, especially young people. Societal trends matter - a lot.
Smoking was ubiquitous at one time. I'm not sure why it is ok to shame an addiction like that to nicotine, which is tough to beat. But it is accepted and even encouraged to gorge oneself into bad health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,260 posts, read 10,562,097 times
Reputation: 11298
You two carrying on like tough-guy adolescents gives me an uneasy preview into our presidential election next year should it come down to Biden and Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:57 AM
 
12,323 posts, read 6,852,459 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is true, and s large part of it is because were working longer hours for less money ( in relation to COL) and dont have time to cook at home like we used to.
That's bs. You don't have to cook a full dinner every night to eat healthy. Canned vegetables are fine, turkey or tuna, some greens, brown rice in the microwave. Three minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,660 posts, read 12,815,667 times
Reputation: 3084
I agree with Maher on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
7,136 posts, read 3,881,672 times
Reputation: 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't think fat shaming is the answer.
No fat person is going to lose weight because you shamed them into it.
The problem is there's still too much access to unhealthy, cheap, poor quality fast food. There needs to be a cultural change in how fast food is viewed. Every food chain ad I ever see on TV advertises some variation of meat laden with cheese, often deep fried.
And you're supposed to look at that and think 'that looks good' - and a lot of people do. Because it's cheap, instant gratification.
There needs to be a cultural change in how Americans view what they're eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Of course they would, especially young people. Societal trends matter - a lot.
Smoking was ubiquitous at one time. I'm not sure why it is ok to shame an addiction like that to nicotine, which is tough to beat. But it is accepted and even encouraged to gorge oneself into bad health.

Most overweight people would far rather not be overweight. If they could lose weight, they would.
I agree that smoking, once viewed as cool became social taboo.




^^^
This is what needs to become social taboo... ads like this currently to be found at Arbys.
This is pure ridiculous. Nobody needs to eat this amount of meat and cheese.

Every fast food chain you care to think of advertises similar unhealthy garbage on their front page and it's considered acceptable and indeed desirable.
This is what needs to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:07 AM
 
13,154 posts, read 4,792,647 times
Reputation: 5390
The federal government must get involved with regulations and taxes. Its not enough to simply rely on Hollywood to create a shame culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top