U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Midwest
32,113 posts, read 19,971,302 times
Reputation: 8145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Constructive criticism, but deriding people for their looks is just wrong. That being said, the trend the Media is promoting for "larger" women is UNHEALTHY and can lead to Diabetes, Heart problems, High Blood Pressure, and other serious health conditions. It is IRRESPONSIBLE to glorify fat people.
I have noticed that is the past few years, more men are obese than women. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,711 posts, read 20,597,528 times
Reputation: 47235
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This was my life. Bought a boat in '96. Became friends with all the marina staff and owner. Friday's were head to the marina, get the boat ready for the weekend, while drinking. Marina would close and we would head to Luigi's, this awesome Italian restaurant close by. We'd all throw in a $100 and order up everything, and have drinks. Saturday came round and would head out on the boat with 3 cases of beer for myself and my buddy. Most times we would come back empty. Pick up a pile of Taco Bell on the way home. Do this again on Sunday. We would do the Luigi's thing on Wed's as well, since it was a good boating/bar night on the lake. I started all this at 195 lbs. By the time i got out of the scene in 2005, I was 255 lbs. Now at the age of 50 I'm 275 lbs. I know I've got to do something a do it fast, because it won't get any easier.


So should we start shaming you? Do you feel your weight gain is due to not being shamed?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
 
10,932 posts, read 6,477,493 times
Reputation: 6028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So should we start shaming you? Do you feel your weight gain is due to not being shamed?
Do what ever you want. I'm fat and I'm responsible for it, and know what I need to do to change it. I'm not going to cower if someone "shames" me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,711 posts, read 20,597,528 times
Reputation: 47235
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Do what ever you want. I'm fat and I'm responsible for it, and know what I need to do to change it. I'm not going to cower if someone "shames" me.
But if you were shamed would that have prevented your significant weight gain?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,492 posts, read 22,048,957 times
Reputation: 21807
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And here is a perfect example of the problem. Do you think you are the only generation that lived like this ? My grandparents raised 6 kids, and there was no fast food to be had in that household. All home cooked meals, although, probably not healthy by today's standards. Not a single one of them grew up fat.
No. Do you deny that the amount and consumption of processed food has increased over the decades? Do you deny the availability and patronage of fast food establishments has increased over the decades? Do you deny our life styles have changed over the decades?
My grandparents generation did not have an obesity problem, my parents generation did not have an obesity problem, my generation did not have an obesity problem, even my kids generation not so much but that is where I saw it begin and it has been growing since the late late 80's-90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
 
10,932 posts, read 6,477,493 times
Reputation: 6028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But if you were shamed would that have prevented your significant weight gain?
Think of the era I grew in (pun intended) , there was no PC like now. As far as shaming, sure I've encountered it, and it might have briefly made me change my thinking, nothing long term though.
I distinctly remember one instance. I was acquaintances with an extremely hot/fit woman. At some point in time, she told me she would date me in a heartbeat, if I lost weight. The thing is I was still having fun, even as a bigger guy.

If I was single now, at my size and age...yeah, I actually think it would be a good motivator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
 
10,932 posts, read 6,477,493 times
Reputation: 6028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No. Do you deny that the amount and consumption of processed food has increased over the decades? Do you deny the availability and patronage of fast food establishments has increased over the decades? Do you deny our life styles have changed over the decades?
My grandparents generation did not have an obesity problem, my parents generation did not have an obesity problem, my generation did not have an obesity problem, even my kids generation not so much but that is where I saw it begin and it has been growing since the late late 80's-90's.
Society is all about convenience now, you said it yourself, some let it rule their lives others don't. It's too much work for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,711 posts, read 20,597,528 times
Reputation: 47235
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Think of the era I grew in (pun intended) , there was no PC like now. As far as shaming, sure I've encountered it, and it might have briefly made me change my thinking, nothing long term though.
I distinctly remember one instance. I was acquaintances with an extremely hot/fit woman. At some point in time, she told me she would date me in a heartbeat, if I lost weight. The thing is I was still having fun, even as a bigger guy.

If I was single now, at my size and age...yeah, I actually think it would be a good motivator.


So shaming doesn't seem to work, but IF you had to start dating, trying to get laid would be a good motivator. That's pretty common.


I'm still against the concept of "shaming" and I think a lot of people use "health related" as an excuse to be jerks.

I could care less if a commercial features someone on the heavier side.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
 
14,365 posts, read 6,580,525 times
Reputation: 14721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So shaming doesn't seem to work, but IF you had to start dating, trying to get laid would be a good motivator. That's pretty common.


I'm still against the concept of "shaming" and I think a lot of people use "health related" as an excuse to be jerks.

I could care less if a commercial features someone on the heavier side.
Most people with character & sense donít resort to shaming, ridiculing or insulting people over their weight. Those who do are just losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,764 posts, read 1,711,269 times
Reputation: 6406
Bill Maher. A resident of Los Angeles that's concerned about looks. OMG how edgy. How original.



Someone pass the saltine crackers....we going buck wiiiild tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top