U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia
3,881 posts, read 1,464,729 times
Reputation: 2920

Advertisements

It's an addiction for most obese people. Shame can help bring a person to the point of being willing to change. Obesity is so prevelant that it is accepted in society. Churches won't touch the topic because so many of their members qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,519 posts, read 22,070,121 times
Reputation: 21836
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Well, French people tend to do that. Not shaming when someone is already overweight of course, that would be cruel, but taken in the womb.

Over less than 10 pounds, people tell each others, even a simple stranger in the street.
Yeah, well I have always heard the French people have a bad reputation for being rude among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,519 posts, read 22,070,121 times
Reputation: 21836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
It's an addiction for most obese people. Shame can help bring a person to the point of being willing to change. Obesity is so prevelant that it is accepted in society. Churches won't touch the topic because so many of their members qualify.
When has that worked? Does shame stop other eating disorders, pedophiles, prostitution, drug use, drinking, domestic violence, smoking, fornication, illegitimate births?

Actually gluttony is mentioned in scripture and sermons right up there with excessive drinking and lust, etc. I have personally heard plenty sermons about our bodies being God's temple resisting the temptation of indulgence including gluttony. As well I know many churches start weight loss/exercise/health programs for its members.

If you want to pick on religion might jump over to the Chinese and their fat Buddha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,861 posts, read 865,150 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Most people with character & sense donít resort to shaming, ridiculing or insulting people over their weight. Those who do are just losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,881 posts, read 1,464,729 times
Reputation: 2920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When has that worked? Does shame stop other eating disorders, pedophiles, prostitution, drug use, drinking, domestic violence, smoking, fornication, illegitimate births?

Actually gluttony is mentioned in scripture and sermons right up there with excessive drinking and lust, etc. I have personally heard plenty sermons about our bodies being God's temple resisting the temptation of indulgence including gluttony. As well I know many churches start weight loss/exercise/health programs for its members.

If you want to pick on religion might jump over to the Chinese and their fat Buddha.
I've known many addicts where shame and guilt influenced them to get help- including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,519 posts, read 22,070,121 times
Reputation: 21836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I've known many addicts where shame and guilt influenced them to get help- including myself.
How many? Because statistically it apparently does not work as we have a drug epidemic, prostitution and human trafficking, rampant pedophilia, alcoholism, domestic violence, etc. I'd say those behaviors are looked down upon and shamed by society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,777 posts, read 1,717,422 times
Reputation: 6406
I think the division is simple.



If I walk up to you on the street and say....hey fatty, you need to lose weight. That's insulting and shaming.


If I instruct millions of viewers that it's ok to do that....that's something else. Maher's certainly not the only one.



Sometimes I miss the 3 networks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Nice, France
1,102 posts, read 455,359 times
Reputation: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, well I have always heard the French people have a bad reputation for being rude among other things.

It still works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,519 posts, read 22,070,121 times
Reputation: 21836
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
It still works.
Then why is obesity a growing issue in France?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia
3,881 posts, read 1,464,729 times
Reputation: 2920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How many? Because statistically it apparently does not work as we have a drug epidemic, prostitution and human trafficking, rampant pedophilia, alcoholism, domestic violence, etc. I'd say those behaviors are looked down upon and shamed by society.
How many- 257.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top