U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If he does it to the wrong person, chances are he won't shame people anymore.

I learned this lesson early on in life. I tended to make fun of the long haired "burnouts" in school. I just so happened to pick on the wrong one, in gym class. He was on the football and wrestling teams. Yes, I got my ass kicked, and deserved it. I did not pick on people like that anymore.

Well you are an idiot then and a pansy for picking on others that have done nothing to you. Long haired burnouts don't bother you, then you should mind your own business. When Im forced to sit next to someone on a transcontinental flight who is over 300 pounds and takes up a third of my seat and sweats on me, then what am I supposed to do? I don't intend to shame anybody, but if a person doesnt5 care about inconveniencing others and making others uncomfortable, then they have no shame. Buy another damn ticket and take two seats If they get shamed because I force an armrest down to gain back some of my personal space they they have intruded on and to prevent them from sweating on me that is their problem not mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:58 PM

11,012 posts, read 6,498,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
Well you are an idiot then and a pansy for picking on others that have done nothing to you. Long haired burnouts don't bother you, then you should mind your own business. When Im forced to sit next to someone on a transcontinental flight who is over 300 pounds and takes up a third of my seat and sweats on me, then what am I supposed to do? I don't intend to shame anybody, but if a person doesnt5 care about inconveniencing others and making others uncomfortable, then they have no shame. Buy another damn ticket and take two seats If they get shamed because I force an armrest down to gain back some of my personal space they they have intruded on and to prevent them from sweating on me that is their problem not mine!
Lol...you are quite funny. Looking forward to the day you mess with the wrong person, it will happen. Sadly i won't be there to laugh at you.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:15 AM

5,600 posts, read 1,173,925 times
Quote:
I agree. If someone overflows into a seat/space that is not their own that cost to use, they need to be required to pay for 2 seats. They certainly should not infringe on others' comfort.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:05 AM

13,426 posts, read 10,262,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Well, sometimes you have to be an a$$hole or a jerk to prove a valid point. Being over weight has become acceptable in this country. So called "thick" women get more attention than a woman who is in good shape.

I do think that comparing the two is apples & oranges (shootings vs being fat). But he is right that people not being ashamed of being fat anymore.
The "point" may be valid. But shame is not a good motivator. Never has been.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 PM

3,881 posts, read 1,465,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well you said you know a lot and therefore shaming people works so just figuring the amount of addicts and the increasing epidemic compared to your numbers. Even 257 doesn't show that shaming works when ~1.7 million Americans suffer from drug addiction.
Most are unwilling to make the needed changes to stay clean, or simply don't want to be clean. Maybe they would like the results, just not the effort and changes they must make in order to achieve it.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:27 PM

22,524 posts, read 22,075,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Most are unwilling to make the needed changes to stay clean, or simply don't want to be clean. Maybe they would like the results, just not the effort and changes they must make in order to achieve it.
That would be human nature now wouldn't it.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:03 PM

6,738 posts, read 3,723,815 times
Quote:
Oh, I can go you one better. I am a tiny woman. Sat next to a very large man who not only put up the armrest, but said to me as he did, "You don't even need your entire seat". Bit my tongue. When he got up to use the restroom, I put my purse and laptop next to me on my seat. There lean on my comfy laptop. When he came back, he asked to change his seat. Guess he got the message. I did not insult him, so don't insult ME.

From then on I always booked an aisle seat.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,719,274 times
Timeout...was there a time when people were ashamed of being fat? As for the airline seats, that's the airline industry that has been successively making seats smaller and smaller.

Seriously, sometimes sitting next to big people isn't so bad. If they take the armrest usually it's near the top of the armrest. I can then take the back of it. That's if they know how to fly at least.

Had a pretty disappointing trip where a beast didn't care about sprawl. Like, if you're taking the armrest, so be it, but you really gotta keep yourself off my back of the seat tray table. That said, that guy was the minority.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM

49,330 posts, read 46,189,273 times
"Fat shaming" isn't going to work. Bill Maher might be acting like a jerk. However, he isn't thinking straight. I don't think fat shaming will work, and there are things that Bill Maher is not getting.

There are many fat people who were fat during their childhood. Many of those persons went through bullying, being shamed by everyone from strangers to classmates, and even family members. They've been through it their whole lives. They've been told over and over, to their faces and behind their backs. If the shaming worked, they would have lost weight a long time ago. Some lose the weight. Many don't lose weight. Many fat kids become fat adults. And they've gone through shaming their whole lives. If it worked we wouldn't have the high levels of obesity that we have.

Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM

15,760 posts, read 13,610,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"Fat shaming" isn't going to work. Bill Maher might be acting like a jerk. However, he isn't thinking straight. I don't think fat shaming will work, and there are things that Bill Maher is not getting.

There are many fat people who were fat during their childhood. Many of those persons went through bullying, being shamed by everyone from strangers to classmates, and even family members. They've been through it their whole lives. They've been told over and over, to their faces and behind their backs. If the shaming worked, they would have lost weight a long time ago. Some lose the weight. Many don't lose weight. Many fat kids become fat adults. And they've gone through shaming their whole lives. If it worked we wouldn't have the high levels of obesity that we have.
If medical tests of fat people come back that they have high cholesterol levels, are pre-diabetic and have high blood pressure and still won't lose weight, then they really are hopeless for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or