U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM

423 posts, read 61,472 times

Advertisements

I will never understand why people dont care about their looks anymore.

Fat is disgusting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM

Hell, even forget about looks. Health as well

Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM

There needs to be a study on why americans have given up on wanting to not look disgusting.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

1,006 posts, read 374,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie15 View Post
I will never understand why people dont care about their looks anymore.

Fat is disgusting
America these days is all about “placating to the lowest common denominator.” Once we can toss this horrible idea into the trash can, we’ll all be better as a result.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 2,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's bs. You don't have to cook a full dinner every night to eat healthy. Canned vegetables are fine, turkey or tuna, some greens, brown rice in the microwave. Three minutes.
Exactly. And fast food being cheaper isn’t really true either.

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

49,330 posts, read 46,189,273 times
What I know about "fat shaming" comes from what I've grown up around. I've never had to worry about "fat shaming" because I was always a small kid. I dealt with always been smaller than average. I've been around "fat shaming". One thing I learned is this. Kids who got fat shamed rarely lost the weight as adults. My own logic would stand to think "it might work on females, if they want to get dates". When I lived in Georgia, this is what I saw. Rather than lose the weight to attract a guy said woman wants, some females just went looking for the guy who would accept her with her as is. In fact, where I live, fat women have no issues finding a guy that will date them. If a thin guy won't, many fat women will date fat women. It turns into "if society doesn't accept us, we'll find each other". There is an attitude of "well, if you don't like me because I'm fat, I'll find someone who does, forget you". In some other societies like Japan, being thin is prized. If you are overweight, you will have some issues. And it goes beyond dating. Clothes are not made for the obese in Japan. In fact, alot of things in Japan are made for a thinner population. And there is more. Japan is a very collective society. There is no going against the trend. You don't want to stick out very much in Japan. It's a competitive society too. If you aren't ready to compete, if you aren't ready to go along with the program, you won't make it in Japan. In America, we're in a somewhat individualistic society. If you're fat, you might get scorned by many people. On the other hand, you go and find someone who's happy with you the way you are. You learn to go off and do your own thing. And there is something else.

People have to want to lose weight. And the change has to come from within. Obesity is a health problem and it will resort in a shortened life. And there are many more disadvantages to being obese. Among them, finding clothes is a major difficulty. However, when it comes to "fat shaming", it's all about "you're gross" or "ew fatty". I notice that with fat shaming, health issues and just the physical difficulties of obesity are rarely mentioned. It's all about "your presence offends everyone". And this is why fat shaming isn't going to be a viable way to get people to lose weight. If it's all about "ew, your presence offends me", then many obese people will just take it personally and reply "up yours, jerk". It won't make said persons change their eating habits or health habits. The more said persons get shamed, the more said persons will just fight against said shamers.

Old Today, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 93 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Japan is a POLICE STATE. No thanks. There are other ways to promote healthy diets. See the old "Food Pyramid" our own Federal Government used to promote? The bread and grains were at the bottom of the pyramid, which is the LARGEST recommended part of your diet. Our government was WRONG.
The problem is that public schools dont give a damn about teachings kids about a proper diet. In fact, they feed children the most unhealthy, surplus, processed crap out there. No wonder 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese.
What we need are mandatory health classes which teach kids about whole food plantbased diets and energy density/fiber content of foods and their relationship with satiety.

Old Today, 09:31 AM

22,524 posts, read 22,075,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If medical tests of fat people come back that they have high cholesterol levels, are pre-diabetic and have high blood pressure and still won't lose weight, then they really are hopeless for sure.
I know people who have died of lung cancer being told by physician to quit or they would die of lung cancer. I know people who died of cirrhosis of the liver being to by physicians to stop drinking or it would kill them. I know people who died from drug overdoses.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or