U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Barrington
47,156 posts, read 34,610,853 times
Reputation: 15645

Advertisements

75% of us are overweight/ obese. We are the fattest people in the developed world. Itís a self- induced condition.

Diabetes 2 is an epidemic. It costs an average of nearly $10,000 a year to treat Diabetes 2 and complications. More than 30 million have Diabetes. Itís an epidemic.

Then thereís heart disease, high BP, stroke, some cancers and joint deterioration. No wonder we spend more per capita on healthcare.

Japan chose to combat its obesity epidemic. Everyone is required to submit to an annual waist measure. Those with measures greater than the generous healthy range and referred to counseling. Employers perform the measures and are required to pay an incremental tax into the national health fund if the percentage of employee waists larger than the generous healthy range is not reduced, every year.

Slowly but surely, Japan is reducing the rate of obesity.

All insurance, public and private, mutualizes ( socializes) healthcare risks.

Give the US masses financial incentives to drop the excess weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:20 AM
 
Location: USA
19,239 posts, read 9,318,929 times
Reputation: 14430
Japan is a POLICE STATE. No thanks. There are other ways to promote healthy diets. See the old "Food Pyramid" our own Federal Government used to promote? The bread and grains were at the bottom of the pyramid, which is the LARGEST recommended part of your diet. Our government was WRONG.

People need to be more educated about the health risks. Just about every food advertisement I see are for sandwiches, sides, and drinks that equal people's entire daily caloric intake and MORE. Huge burgers with cheese and bacon, fried chicken sandwiches with onion rings in them with FRIES, and sugary sodas, Pizza, Ribs, Wings. It's nuts.

Last edited by Pilot1; 09-07-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:21 AM
 
13,154 posts, read 4,792,647 times
Reputation: 5390
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
75% of us are overweight/ obese. We are the fattest people in the developed world. Itís a self- induced condition.

Diabetes 2 is an epidemic. It costs an average of nearly $10,000 a year to treat Diabetes 2 and complications. More than 30 million have Diabetes. Itís an epidemic.

Then thereís heart disease, high BP, stroke, some cancers and joint deterioration. No wonder we spend more per capita on healthcare.

Japan chose to combat its obesity epidemic. Everyone is required to submit to an annual waist measure. Those with measures greater than the generous healthy range and referred to counseling. Employers perform the measures and are required to pay an incremental tax into the national health fund if the percentage of employee waists larger than the generous healthy range is not reduced, every year.

Slowly but surely, Japan is reducing the rate of obesity.

All insurance, public and private, mutualizes ( socializes) healthcare risks.

Give the US masses financial incentives to drop the excess weight.
Obese people die significantly earlier with less money spent on expensive old age care. That must also be taken into consideration.

Do you have a link to what you say about Japan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:33 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
10,137 posts, read 4,530,518 times
Reputation: 5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Most overweight people would far rather not be overweight. If they could lose weight, they would.
I agree that smoking, once viewed as cool became social taboo.




^^^
This is what needs to become social taboo... ads like this currently to be found at Arbys.
This is pure ridiculous. Nobody needs to eat this amount of meat and cheese.

Every fast food chain you care to think of advertises similar unhealthy garbage on their front page and it's considered acceptable and indeed desirable.
This is what needs to change.
Those sandwiches are a little excessive. If you ate about one a month it would probably be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Florida
21,859 posts, read 11,295,523 times
Reputation: 8002
I know skinny people who can out eat fat people any day of the week.. it must be genetics that causes some people to become obese. I said some.. I have witnessed the thinnest people who have a bottomless pit for a stomach.. and never gain a pound and they are not active. Some of them judge others because they never gain weight no matter what they eat.



Some people do overeat and get fat.. some can take it off easy , others struggle and lose very little. I don't judge because I don't know why they are obese.



I have known people who were too thin and ate malted shakes and a half gallon of ice cream at one sitting! They could not gain weight. It just does not make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:37 AM
 
34,891 posts, read 18,904,620 times
Reputation: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I know skinny people who can out eat fat people any day of the week.. it must be genetics that causes some people to become obese. I said some.. I have witnessed the thinnest people who have a bottomless pit for a stomach.. and never gain a pound and they are not active. Some of them judge others because they never gain weight no matter what they eat.



Some people do overeat and get fat.. some can take it off easy , others struggle and lose very little. I don't judge because I don't know why they are obese.



I have known people who were too thin and ate malted shakes and a half gallon of ice cream at one sitting! They could not gain weight. It just does not make sense to me.



To the bold, my buddies wife is like this, thin like a bean pole....but she can eat both of us guys under the table, easily.....we used to go the the buffet, and she'd easily eat 5 plates and pick of her husbands plate while eating....no health factors what so ever.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: USA
19,239 posts, read 9,318,929 times
Reputation: 14430
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To the bold, my buddies wife is like this, thin like a bean pole....but she can eat both of us guys under the table, easily.....we used to go the the buffet, and she'd easily eat 5 plates and pick of her husbands plate while eating....no health factors what so ever.....
Some people just have a higher metabolism. I always have, although now as I age, I have to eat smarter, which is fine. However, most people do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Status: "Keep your chin up." (set 2 hours ago)
 
8,993 posts, read 11,009,036 times
Reputation: 13071
He's a comedian, has his own show and says some stuff just for the reaction. Gotta keep people watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
7,136 posts, read 3,881,672 times
Reputation: 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Those sandwiches are a little excessive. If you ate about one a month it would probably be okay.
A little excessive?

As long as people consider it 'okay' as a regular part of anybody's diet, people will continue to think it's okay, even if it's only once per month.

If you take a look at Arbys website right now, their barrel stack sandwich is 880 calories. That's a lot of calories especially since a lot of Americans are eating fast food in the middle of the day and will probably have an even bigger meal later in the day.

And the truth is, about a third of Americans are eating fast food every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Florida
21,859 posts, read 11,295,523 times
Reputation: 8002
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To the bold, my buddies wife is like this, thin like a bean pole....but she can eat both of us guys under the table, easily.....we used to go the the buffet, and she'd easily eat 5 plates and pick of her husbands plate while eating....no health factors what so ever.....
We are created differently.



As I see it through what I have seen in my life on eating habits , you can't starve a Saint Bernard to look like a poodle. They were not suppose to look like a poodle.



I have wondered if God created some to get through a famine and survive. Those who don't lose weight easily would not get thin quickly .



I have witnessed girls who gain a few pounds when they stopped smoking and went back smoking.



People who starve themselves or are sticking their fingers down there throat to get rid of the food they ate.. pretty drastic ..



Now they are saying people who do not get enough sleep gain weight.. they are always coming up with something . And I also heard it is bad to yo yo diet.



One young guy I knew was constantly running around town until he needed a hip replacement. He doesn't run anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top