Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 09:08 AM

34,134 posts, read 18,393,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
He's a comedian, has his own show and says some stuff just for the reaction. Gotta keep people watching.
^^^^^^This. Bill Maher has two main concerns.

1. Get viewers and ratings.

2. See #1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 09:15 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,117,023 times
That’s not the answer but we need to stop normalizing being overweight. It isn’t healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You must be overweight.
LOLOL...good one.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,034,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
A little excessive?

As long as people consider it 'okay' as a regular part of anybody's diet, people will continue to think it's okay, even if it's only once per month.

If you take a look at Arbys website right now, their barrel stack sandwich is 880 calories. That's a lot of calories especially since a lot of Americans are eating fast food in the middle of the day and will probably have an even bigger meal later in the day.

And the truth is, about a third of Americans are eating fast food every day.
That is an example understatement. I think once a month is fine for a mega-dose of meat as long as you eat healthy the rest of the time.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:21 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,093,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The federal government must get involved with regulations and taxes. Its not enough to simply rely on Hollywood to create a shame culture.

Unfortunately the federal government is part of the problem, specifically the USDA.
With one hand they circulate a bogus food pyramid which is supposedly health based but in reality is a promotional tool for American farmers.

With the other hand they engage in joint marketing efforts (using our tax dollars) with the likes of Arby’s and Wendys promoting the very food they claim we should moderate.

When the USDA recommends that we should limit our Egg and Cheese intake, the egg and cheese industry comes crashing down on them.

There’s a ton of info on this.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...ealth-conflict

https://youtu.be/RX2IHxYX0I8

Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 AM

10,497 posts, read 6,108,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Unfortunately the federal government is part of the problem, specifically the USDA.
With one hand they circulate a bogus food pyramid which is supposedly health based but in reality is a promotional tool for American farmers.

With the other hand they engage in joint marketing efforts (using our tax dollars) with the likes of Arby’s and Wendys promoting the very food they claim we should moderate.

When the USDA recommends that we should limit our Egg and Cheese intake, the egg and cheese industry comes crashing down on them.

There’s a ton of info on this.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...ealth-conflict

https://youtu.be/RX2IHxYX0I8
I think there may be some truth in this ^^^
I also very recently read that the claim that you 'must' eat breakfast was a push in the 1950's by cereal companies and became part of the national psyche.
I was never so healthy as I was in my twenties when I didn't eat breakfast. I recently stopped eating breakfast again and I feel SO much better for it I cant even tell you. I'm not hungry until midday and all these years I feel like I've been brainwashed into eating a meal I don't need and when I'm not hungry.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:53 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,093,518 times
Quote:
I think there may be some truth in this ^^^
I also very recently read that the claim that you 'must' eat breakfast was a push in the 1950's by cereal companies and became part of the national psyche.
I was never so healthy as I was in my twenties when I didn't eat breakfast. I recently stopped eating breakfast again and I feel SO much better for it I cant even tell you. I'm not hungry until midday and all these years I feel like I've been brainwashed into eating a meal I don't need and when I'm not hungry.

The federal government has always promoted American industry, which at first glance makes total sense.

Consuming tons of cheeseburgers benefits one industry.
Getting sick from eating them benefits another.

It’s not a conspiracy when it happens in plain sight.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM

19,399 posts, read 12,049,763 times
Quote:
Most overweight people would far rather not be overweight. If they could lose weight, they would.
I agree that smoking, once viewed as cool became social taboo.

^^^
This is what needs to become social taboo... ads like this currently to be found at Arbys.
This is pure ridiculous. Nobody needs to eat this amount of meat and cheese.

Every fast food chain you care to think of advertises similar unhealthy garbage on their front page and it's considered acceptable and indeed desirable.
This is what needs to change.
A combination of shaming this kind of food, those who push it, and making it uncool to eat it. Just like smoking.

Most people can lose weight if they are willing to make the necessary changes. There is no real motivation to do so if it is accepted/protected/embraced. A lot of people need the push and encouragement because it IS difficult to lose weight, but we only tell them they should feel empowered, and fat is the norm, so it isn't an issue.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,376,275 times
I am a little fat myself: I am just under 6'3 and my natural weight (in my underwear or without it*) would be around 210.5 lbs.

*My watch, purity ring, and glasses are included.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:57 AM

5,393 posts, read 3,410,183 times
Quote:
Most overweight people would far rather not be overweight. If they could lose weight, they would.
I agree that smoking, once viewed as cool became social taboo.

^^^
This is what needs to become social taboo... ads like this currently to be found at Arbys.
This is pure ridiculous. Nobody needs to eat this amount of meat and cheese.

Every fast food chain you care to think of advertises similar unhealthy garbage on their front page and it's considered acceptable and indeed desirable.
This is what needs to change.
I think every restaurant (fast or not) should advertise the number of calories in their food. I was in New Mexico a few months ago at a Dairy Queen (yea, I know, but I only go there a couple times a year ) and I saw that the Peanut Buster Parfait was listed at 1700 calories on their marque! Wow, I didn't know that. It's my favorite but I didn't order it, I got a mini blizzard instead at 360 calories.

When I look up the Peanut Buster Parfait on DQ's website, it says it's only 710 calories?

Old 09-07-2019, 10:35 AM

10,497 posts, read 6,108,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A combination of shaming this kind of food, those who push it, and making it uncool to eat it. Just like smoking.

Most people can lose weight if they are willing to make the necessary changes. There is no real motivation to do so if it is accepted/protected/embraced. A lot of people need the push and encouragement because it IS difficult to lose weight, but we only tell them they should feel empowered, and fat is the norm, so it isn't an issue.

Encouragement, yes. Education, yes. Empowerment yes.
Shaming no. Nobody is going to lose weight by shaming them into it. They feel bad enough as it is. Shaming exacerbates the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies