U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 985,416 times

Advertisements

Shame people for indulging in unhealthy foods that cause obesity, don't shame them for being fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:20 AM

6,684 posts, read 3,695,542 times
No, it doesn't. I have been skinny and short shamed. "You turn sideways and I cannot see you". "Oh, I thought you were a 10 year old boy". Know what it is like to be patted on the head when you are 40 years old?

What is the "perfect" human being and by WHOSE Standards?

Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 AM

30,403 posts, read 16,744,047 times
Personal responsibilty needs to make a comeback.

And it will once the whole disgustingly obese, unsustainable health care system collapses.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 3,881,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why can't you equate it to smoking? Make no mistake, smokers are shamed even though most of them are physically addicted to nicotine. And it is working.

I am certain obese people parading around in sausage leggings and crop tops are not ashamed or feel bad about themselves. And the men with their butts and bellies spilling out are not embarrassed, they think they are "husky".
Because it's not the same as smoking.

Smoking is bad for your health. It's bad for you and it's bad for the health of everyone near you. That's why it became socially unacceptable. The goal is to cut it out altogether.

You cannot cut out food. You need food to live. The goal is not to cut it out. The goal is to change what you eat. It's addictive like smoking but you can't just cut it out. You have to not just change your calorie intake but change the quality of the nutrients you are putting into your body. High fat laden, cheap food, as is pushed by the fast food industry is addictive and offers a quick easy fix.

Telling some to lay off the cheeseburgers because it's making you fat, is never going to work as long as that's all you see being pushed at you and as long as you don't educate people how to eat better.

It's the attitude towards fast food that needs to change.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:20 PM

20,205 posts, read 14,956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, it doesn't. I have been skinny and short shamed. "You turn sideways and I cannot see you". "Oh, I thought you were a 10 year old boy". Know what it is like to be patted on the head when you are 40 years old?

What is the "perfect" human being and by WHOSE Standards?
Fat shaming doesn't need to make a come back, but being short and thin does not cause heart disease, diabetes, or other diseases.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,926,389 times
He’s right.

America has too many fat lazy slobs and that’s the truth.

It’s really not that hard to eat a decent diet and get in a little exercise each week. That’s all you have to do to avoid becoming obese in the vast majority of cases.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM

12,322 posts, read 6,852,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Shame people for indulging in unhealthy foods that cause obesity, don't shame them for being fat.
Yes I agree, but let's not praise obesity as empowering or normal either.

We should go after companies that push this crazy food, they are like drug pushers. Just like cigarette companies. Then start pressuring people not to eat that food, at least not the extreme stuff in large quantities, even if it seems like a "value". You can do ok on fast food if you are smart but it isn't easy.

Some of the smaller healthier things on the menus are the same price or more expensive than a big fatty meal. This is all backwards but we really should take responsibility for ourselves, we aren't animals at a trough. We are humans with free will and every day we make decisions. We don't have to take what they are pushing. I don't see it happening without some tough love. It doesn't have to be actual Shaming or certainly not cruel Bullying....since when did any and all criticism or nonacceptance have to be something mean, that is just modern perception implanted by the left. If we ever get our minds back maybe we can affect obesity.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:04 PM

5,656 posts, read 4,435,138 times
Bill Maher, is, was, and will always be a jerkoff.....

Old 09-07-2019, 01:45 PM

2,448 posts, read 1,227,414 times
Great points.
I'm saying it for years.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:07 PM

398 posts, read 53,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
He's a pompous ahole worshipped by the left.

outspokenly racist too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or