U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM

6,008 posts, read 1,629,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you agree Bill Maher or is he being his usual jerk!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...052918084.html
We have cultural norms for a reason. When these norms are violated, there should be consequences naturally. What the left dies is try to change the norms - enter the fat lobby to make obesity normal. Obesity has come to be seen as acceptable and thatís a problem. We indeed need fat shaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM

10,139 posts, read 4,530,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We have cultural norms for a reason. When these norms are violated, there should be consequences naturally. What the left dies is try to change the norms - enter the fat lobby to make obesity normal. Obesity has come to be seen as acceptable and thatís a problem. We indeed need fat shaming.
The left is responsible for obesity? And here I thought it was individuals making poor personal decisions and encouraged to do so by corporations and hi-powered advertising.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:36 PM

6,734 posts, read 2,048,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you agree Bill Maher or is he being his usual jerk!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...052918084.html

I think there's a lot to be said in favor of any society having standards of behavior.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:45 PM

30,403 posts, read 16,744,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think there's a lot to be said in favor of any society having standards of behavior.
Don't rape, murder, assault, kidnap,rob and respect private property.
That means your neighbors BMI is none of your beezewax, and your neighbor isnt entitled to your money for their healthcare. Easy peasy.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:53 PM

8,147 posts, read 4,484,748 times
We do not have a healthcare crisis. We have a chronic disease crisis brought on by fat; a direct result of poor diet and sedentary lifestyles.

Sometimes, often actually, rich nations are not so rich after all.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM

34,891 posts, read 18,904,620 times
65 posts, if a person on the right would have said this, it would hundreds of pages.....

Just goes to show how much the left supports themselves......silence is golden....

Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM

16,765 posts, read 4,401,221 times
Some of the older generation (Trump and older) would tell people in their family and also people they met....."hey, you've gained weight" almost every time them met them.....or, of course, "you've lost weight".....

It was all about body image. Of course, the standards for women were vastly different than men. With men it was "billfold weight".

I'd say this much....if a non-diseased family member that I had to do things for (help walk, up the steps, etc.) gained weight I'd eventually say "I'm going to hurt myself trying to help you do this" or whatever.

But, other than that, I think it's safe to say the 1/3 or more of heavy Americans KNOW very well exactly how heavy they are.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:04 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,127,092 times
I'm with Bill Maher. Obesity shouldn't become the norm.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM

16,765 posts, read 4,401,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I'm with Bill Maher. Obesity shouldn't become the norm.
US Corporate food producers and the medical system think differently and their lobby in DC is much stronger than that of healthy products and preventative medicine and lifestyles.

Remember how the Right almost fainted at the thought of banning 64OZ (one person) Sodas? That's death in a cup.

The Trump admin just passed new dietary guidelines going the opposite way they should....just like with MPG. Let's not fool ourselves....some people believe in the "free market" of advertisers, corporations, lobbying groups, etc. being able to sell people whatever they can talk them into.

And since food is effectively a "drug" - programmed in, one simply cannot have a house or world full of vastly more junky foods than good ones and except a healthy population.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:31 PM

673 posts, read 583,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Don't rape, murder, assault, kidnap,rob and respect private property.
That means your neighbors BMI is none of your beezewax, and your neighbor isnt entitled to your money for their healthcare. Easy peasy.

I take your point, but at the same time your neighbors obesity is effecting your healthcare premiums.
The same way hurricane Dorian effects my homeowner premiums even though I live in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or