U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 PM

15,535 posts, read 17,901,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
I take your point, but at the same time your neighbors obesity is effecting your healthcare premiums.
The same way hurricane Dorian effects my homeowner premiums even though I live in Colorado.

On the flip side, the Social Security fund won't have to pay for SS Retirement for those people that die prior to collecting. Or those that only collect for a short period before they die. The obesity epidemic will result if earlier deaths for many. This means they paid into SS for many years but they die prior to collecting SS. Ditto for Medicare if they die prior to age 65.

However, if they go on SS Disability, then they can collect prior to age 65. So there is this risk of obesity related disability where they get SS Disability and Medicare due to obesity.

But will more people die early due to obesity versus collect SS Disability due to obesity? Probably more will die early.

The above thoughts should be motivators for losing weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 06:00 PM

15,607 posts, read 13,556,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
People are getting very comfortable with their shortcomings it goes way past health issues
Yes, it can be very comfortable with being obese or overweight, if your cholesterol levels are normal, your blood pressure is normal, you're not considered prediabetic and your parents never had heart attacks. In that case, just eat, drink and be merry as much as you feel like. Be as fat as you want your belly to stick out. It goes more than past health issues. There aren't even any.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't think fat shaming is the answer.
No fat person is going to lose weight because you shamed them into it.
The problem is there's still too much access to unhealthy, cheap, poor quality fast food. There needs to be a cultural change in how fast food is viewed. Every food chain ad I ever see on TV advertises some variation of meat laden with cheese, often deep fried.
And you're supposed to look at that and think 'that looks good' - and a lot of people do. Because it's cheap, instant gratification.
There needs to be a cultural change in how Americans view what they're eating.
I have enough self discipline to not regularly go to fast food places, since I'm trying to lose weight and staying out of them makes losing weight easier. But I regularly get coupon sheets for several fast food places, so it gets tempting.

Feeling self shamed from less than good results of tests from a health checkup should be enough to convince a fat person to shape up. Life is how you make it -- or not.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 PM

2,242 posts, read 469,461 times
Lolololol at all the fat-people coming out of the cracks to call Maher a jerk.

Here’s a thought:

Lose weight and maybe, just maybe, people won’t call you “fat”.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I think every restaurant (fast or not) should advertise the number of calories in their food. I was in New Mexico a few months ago at a Dairy Queen (yea, I know, but I only go there a couple times a year ) and I saw that the Peanut Buster Parfait was listed at 1700 calories on their marque! Wow, I didn't know that. It's my favorite but I didn't order it, I got a mini blizzard instead at 360 calories.

When I look up the Peanut Buster Parfait on DQ's website, it says it's only 710 calories?
Chili's does that. Their low calorie Ancho Salmon is delicious.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:23 PM

2,016 posts, read 508,980 times
Go to rural and suburban areas with many conservative minded people, they are overweight and unhealthy looking. This is why Trump eats McDonald's for pictures because he is appealing to them through their diet. Healthcare and fast food industry loves these people, they are great for business. Put a tax on their sugar beverages??? Hell no, don't even think about it! They love their high-fructose corn syrup.

Go to inner cities full of liberal minded people who shop at Whole Foods and Farmers Market....mostly healthy skinny people. Michelle Obama growing a garden at the White House and promoting healthy eating?? Commie, don't tell us what to eat!!

Old 09-08-2019, 07:06 AM

47,156 posts, read 34,617,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Obese people die significantly earlier with less money spent on expensive old age care. That must also be taken into consideration.

Do you have a link to what you say about Japan?
https://www.pri.org/stories/2009-11-...e-breaking-law

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/w...tType=REGIWALL

https://www.jacksonville.com/reason/...-be-overweight

Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 AM

47,156 posts, read 34,617,861 times
States with highest/ lowest obesity rates:

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2...obesity-rates/

Old 09-08-2019, 07:41 AM

561 posts, read 478,857 times
Our whole health system needs to be updated. Schools are feeding kids complete garbage and the calories don't mirror the amount of energy that's expelled though the day.

With cancer hitting so many families I won't be surprised when insurance agencies start having a check box for sugar intake next to the smoking box.

Modern man/women sit far more at desk jobs than populations 20+ years ago. In all reality many should be eating less than 1000 calories a day not 2500-3000. That is unless of course they are active, but that seems to be the exception these days.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 AM

33,591 posts, read 20,447,516 times
It looks like you might want to re-read your own link

Is it true that a Japanese law makes it illegal for citizens of that country to be overweight?

Well, it is true that the country requires that companies and local governments measure the waistlines of citizens between the ages of 45 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population, The New York Times reported.

Those exceeding government limits - 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women, which are identical to thresholds established in 2005 for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy guideline for identifying health risks - and having a weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three months they do not lose weight, the Times reported.

If necessary, those people are steered toward further re-education after six more months

All they were given is re-education in order to lower their risk of getting weight related illnesses. You made it sound like it is illegal to be obese in Japan.

I know a lot of chubby Japanese girls and guys in Japan, they are fat and happy, just like every fat person in the world. LOL The common problem is that they just cannot stop eating.

--------------------------------

All these said, I doubt fat shaming really works. Fat shaming only works for SOME people, but it won't work for many. My sister is a petite girl. She is only 5'2", and I am 5'7". She has always been 110lb, I am 5'7" and 108lb, so she always looked much bigger than me. After her divorce, she gained about 30lb. 140lb is too much for her frame. I only said it once, "I think you are too damned fat." she didn't talk to me for about 2 weeks. She claimed my fat shaming makes her depressed and she must eat more. Loads of excuses.

Some studies show that Being harassed or treated with disrespect, receiving poor service while shopping or being thought of as stupid may actually lead to more weight gain.

If they don't want to lose weight, there is really nothing you can do. Plus, a lot of fat people's food obsession is caused by depression. Until they get their mood under control, they will always use food to control their emotion. It is like a kind of obsession or addiction.

Bottom line, fat shaming works for some, but not for many.

I agree with Bill Maher on a lot of things. Regarding this subject, I agree with some of the points that he was making. I disagree with him about fat shaming because I don't think shaming is a good solution; however, I do agree with him that we need to be honest, we don't need to overly praise fat people and tell them they are beautiful and healthy. I just let them be. No shaming, no praising either.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-08-2019 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or