Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you agree Bill Maher
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
or is he being his usual jerk!
yes
You have to risk being offensive when seeking the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:01 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
75% of us are overweight/ obese. We are the fattest people in the developed world. It’s a self- induced condition.

Diabetes 2 is an epidemic. It costs an average of nearly $10,000 a year to treat Diabetes 2 and complications. More than 30 million have Diabetes. It’s an epidemic.

Then there’s heart disease, high BP, stroke, some cancers and joint deterioration. No wonder we spend more per capita on healthcare.

Japan chose to combat its obesity epidemic. Everyone is required to submit to an annual waist measure. Those with measures greater than the generous healthy range and referred to counseling. Employers perform the measures and are required to pay an incremental tax into the national health fund if the percentage of employee waists larger than the generous healthy range is not reduced, every year.

Slowly but surely, Japan is reducing the rate of obesity.

All insurance, public and private, mutualizes ( socializes) healthcare risks.

Give the US masses financial incentives to drop the excess weight.

A lot of things could be improved by providing incentives to do better, rather than assessing penalties. Workers could be given a bonus if they walked or rode bicycles to the job, for example. A subsidy could be provided to restaurants for each meal served, that was healthy and non-fattening, with part of it passed on to the customer. Suppose a very nutritious and healthy meal, that was low in carbohydrates and had fresh fruit and vegetables, high fiber and little saturated fat, was priced at only 2/3 as much as an unhealthy meal? I think that many people would choose it and the trend might spread.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A lot of things could be improved by providing incentives to do better, rather than assessing penalties. Workers could be given a bonus if they walked or rode bicycles to the job, for example. A subsidy could be provided to restaurants for each meal served, that was healthy and non-fattening, with part of it passed on to the customer. Suppose a very nutritious and healthy meal, that was low in carbohydrates and had fresh fruit and vegetables, high fiber and little saturated fat, was priced at only 2/3 as much as an unhealthy meal? I think that many people would choose it and the trend might spread.
How about parents doing some actual parenting. Not teaching their kids that fast food garbage is a "treat", by cooking at home more with healthy foods. It starts at home. It doesn't always work, as in my case but it is a start. I see many little kids that are fat when they shouldn't be. Everybody is looking to blame some one , something, etc. It's personal responsibility.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
How about parents doing some actual parenting. Not teaching their kids that fast food garbage is a "treat", by cooking at home more with healthy foods. It starts at home. It doesn't always work, as in my case but it is a start. I see many little kids that are fat when they shouldn't be. Everybody is looking to blame some one , something, etc. It's personal responsibility.

Because eating habits are learned/established early in our lives. Parents today were raised on fast food and junk food. Even in my day, although we rarely got any junk food, snacked or ate out, we didnt eat so health by todays standards. Big meals with fried food (fried in lard or crisco), gravy, breads, lots of potatoes, over cooked veggies. Not so much salad or fresh fruits or whole grains, etc. So I have had to re learn cooking/planning meals.

As well life styles have changed. No one is home to prepare and eat home cooked food. Between jobs and school and school activities it is very difficult. We live in a society where convenience is pushed. Convenience is fast food, processed food.

Last year during ball season my day was get off work at 3:30 travel directly to gkids school to pick him up after practice. I would get there about 5, then another 30 minutes to get home. Often he would be so hungry that we would stop and grab something or I would be just too tired to prepare a meal and I am one who cooks, a lot. My gson is very self disciplined and eats very healthy, but healthy is not always available. When games started we would not even get home until 11 or later. Straight to the game after work and school, no time to cook.
Have you seen the crap available at concessions at ball games? The only other choices were fast food. This is me and one kid. I dont know how families with multiple kids doing multiple things even do it. This is just todays reality for many families.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:06 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
I think part of the blame belongs to the so called diet and weight loss “experts”. They push extreme diets (paleo, keto, “clean” eating, no sugar, 100% plant based etc) in order to sell books and pad their own pockets. Some believe the hype and think if they can’t eliminate all sugar or go low carb or home cook every single bite they eat they can’t lose weight.

All anyone really needs is calories in < calories out. If we encouraged people to do that, they could design a sustainable eating plan for themselves that fits into their preferences, budget and lifestyle instead of telling them they have to follow what the latest “expert” deems necessary.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:10 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,009 times
Who says fat shaming doesn't work...

https://spectator.us/mistaken-james-corden-weight-loss/

Old 09-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because eating habits are learned/established early in our lives. Parents today were raised on fast food and junk food. Even in my day, although we rarely got any junk food, snacked or ate out, we didnt eat so health by todays standards. Big meals with fried food (fried in lard or crisco), gravy, breads, lots of potatoes, over cooked veggies. Not so much salad or fresh fruits or whole grains, etc. So I have had to re learn cooking/planning meals.

As well life styles have changed. No one is home to prepare and eat home cooked food. Between jobs and school and school activities it is very difficult. We live in a society where convenience is pushed. Convenience is fast food, processed food.

Last year during ball season my day was get off work at 3:30 travel directly to gkids school to pick him up after practice. I would get there about 5, then another 30 minutes to get home. Often he would be so hungry that we would stop and grab something or I would be just too tired to prepare a meal and I am one who cooks, a lot. My gson is very self disciplined and eats very healthy, but healthy is not always available. When games started we would not even get home until 11 or later. Straight to the game after work and school, no time to cook.
Have you seen the crap available at concessions at ball games? The only other choices were fast food. This is me and one kid. I dont know how families with multiple kids doing multiple things even do it. This is just todays reality for many families.
And here is a perfect example of the problem. Do you think you are the only generation that lived like this ? My grandparents raised 6 kids, and there was no fast food to be had in that household. All home cooked meals, although, probably not healthy by today's standards. Not a single one of them grew up fat.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:37 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I blame my wife. She was always bringing home junk. Got udpest when I wouldn't eat what she fixed.

Last year she had a health problem and had to lose weight. She got smart with her shopping, and fixed smaller portions. She did good with her weight. I did fantastic. Went from 280 down to 238, before we went on a cruise. I gained back a little weight on the cruise, she stayed about the same. But, her old habits mentioned above came back. Before I knew it I was back up to 260. I started trying to cut back on my own, but have only managed to hover around 160 for the last few months. She weighs about 200lbs. Maybe it would be healthier for me in the long run if I lost 200lbs.
What do you think her problem is? And you need to take control of your own health independent of your wife. Even if she gets upset you are not eating poorly because she is. She has a problem and as her husband you might at least be aware of where this is coming from.

We can come up with every theory in the world regarding statistics, but the reality is how it affects individuals in their own lives. Every unhealthily overweight person has a story and it tends to go beyond - additives and corporations, it generally resides within ourselves and our own mental and emotional issues.

My friend, now deceased, who would struggle with weight seemed to be insecure. He was a worrier, and seemed to try to overcompensate for anxiety in ways that would generate more anxiety somehow tied in with eating too much.

I also have friends who are just indulgers, like I suspect Trump is, they enjoy luxuries, nice things and rich food, some are real "foodies", drink plenty of wine, vacations, eat out a lot, etc. That lifestyle eventually catches up.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I also have friends who are just indulgers, like I suspect Trump is, they enjoy luxuries, nice things and rich food, some are real "foodies", drink plenty of wine, vacations, eat out a lot, etc. That lifestyle eventually catches up.
This was my life. Bought a boat in '96. Became friends with all the marina staff and owner. Friday's were head to the marina, get the boat ready for the weekend, while drinking. Marina would close and we would head to Luigi's, this awesome Italian restaurant close by. We'd all throw in a $100 and order up everything, and have drinks. Saturday came round and would head out on the boat with 3 cases of beer for myself and my buddy. Most times we would come back empty. Pick up a pile of Taco Bell on the way home. Do this again on Sunday. We would do the Luigi's thing on Wed's as well, since it was a good boating/bar night on the lake. I started all this at 195 lbs. By the time i got out of the scene in 2005, I was 255 lbs. Now at the age of 50 I'm 275 lbs. I know I've got to do something a do it fast, because it won't get any easier.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Constructive criticism, but deriding people for their looks is just wrong. That being said, the trend the Media is promoting for "larger" women is UNHEALTHY and can lead to Diabetes, Heart problems, High Blood Pressure, and other serious health conditions. It is IRRESPONSIBLE to glorify fat people.
I have noticed that is the past few years, more men are obese than women. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies