U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: All Things Being Equal - Would You Ever Vote For...
A Non-Male Candidate 56 80.00%
A Non-Caucasian Candidate 51 72.86%
A Non-Christian Candidate 49 70.00%
No Way 12 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM

9,844 posts, read 4,473,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
If Trump were not running for a second term, would his supporters and other republicans vote for a female or racial minority candidate?

Will the republican party ever elect a female or black president?

For all of Obama's two terms, republicans firmly disagreed that they were racist. But again there has never been a non-white male republican candidate in the final race.
What an absurd poll that I will not dignify with a vote.
[No wonder so many polls are rubbish since the way the question/choices are framed, it is designed to elicit a certain predetermined and biased result]

Where your poll went astray is mixing and matching various things, rather than focusing on your threads title.

So while I will not participate in the poll, I will say that most (R's) I know would vote for a woman, and/or a minority.
Frankly, I suspect the first woman president will be a (R).
The only caveat would be if there was a layup election like in 2008 where almost any (D) would have won.
That was the year Hillary had her best shot, but couldn't even beat a political neophyte with major baggage to get the (D) nomination.

That said, a woman out of the mold of Jeane Kirkpatrick could get the (R) nomination, and win a general election;

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Jeane-Kirkpatrick

Elizabeth Dole was another woman who when younger could have been elected:

https://history.house.gov/People/detail/12577

I would not think someone like Sarah Palin would have much of a chance.

Regardless, the (R) party has many talented and able women who are even keel and not emotional liberal kooks, like what is currently running on the (D) side.

The same is true of a minority, whether it be a black, brown or yellow candidate. In modern terms many would vote for Ben Carson if he had more experience, Allen West if he could get elected again to a national level, Ted Cruz if he was less abrasive, Marco Rubio is he were less wishy washy, etc.

So despite the MSM and Democrats trying to portray the (R's) as anti-woman, anti-minority, etc., the reality is (R's) are anti-liberal, anti-leftist, anti-communist regardless of what color or gender they are.
Give them a good candidate who is a woman or person of color that is conservative or at least moderate that leans right, and you will have a potential winner for the country to vote for.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM

1,914 posts, read 417,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"There's no case to be made that the overwhelmingly christian white males have done such a wonderful job"

Unless you look at who beat the greatest army in the world at the time to gain our independence, wrote the Declaration of Independence and our Constitution and who CREATED THIS GREAT COUNTRY IT IS.

You must have failed U.S History, IF YOU EVER TOOK IT!
Mmm, I'll take France for $500, Alex.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:07 PM

6,128 posts, read 3,073,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

You are conflating two different things.
Regardless, more white Christian males have done great things vs. those who have not. Lets not forget that it was those people who gave us our constitutional republic, and today we are the most rich, free, powerful, and generous nation ever in mankind's history.

I'd say that is not too bad for 100% Christian, 100% male, and 98% white presidents since our inception.

`
100% of our presidents have not been Christian.

Some of them give lip service to religion because they see it as politically necessary.

Obama clearly was not religious, and neither is Trump.

Jefferson was not a Christian as most people understand the term. He even wrote an "alternative" Bible. That would be considered blasphemy by most Christians.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:04 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,170,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Considering the direction that the Democrat party is going......

Most Republicans would vote for a GOP crash test dummy before voting Democrat.
They already have.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM

6,471 posts, read 5,568,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
100% of our presidents have not been Christian.

Some of them give lip service to religion because they see it as politically necessary.

Obama clearly was not religious, and neither is Trump.

Jefferson was not a Christian as most people understand the term. He even wrote an "alternative" Bible. That would be considered blasphemy by most Christians.
This is true. Many of the founding fathers were Unitarian Universalist. John Adams was one.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:36 PM

23,897 posts, read 11,865,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

1) Foreign policy experience (UN Ambassador),
2) Executive experience in government (Governor-two terms)
3) Real, substantial accomplishments in her government leadership roles

In fact, I challenge anyone to name two other such people in our country who can claim those three bullet points. She will be a formidable challenger if she decides to run.
Its not hard to name people who have done #1 and #2, #3 however is an opinion, so it just depends on how you view them.

A number of members of congress do more direct negotiations with foreign powers than the UN ambassador does. So again, your post is very much subject to opinion and how much you know.

So there are about 8 current governors who used to be House or Senate members who can say they negotiated with foreign powers, and a couple of recent ones as well.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:02 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,844,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Here she is now. Nikki Haley. Former Ambassador to the UN and former Governor of South Carolina.
I hope Haley runs. Don't know that I would vote for her, but I would like her to run, would like to hear what she has to say, and would like to see how she handles the meat grinder of presidential politics.

To answer the OPs question more clearly - and this is another beating-a-dead-horse issue designed to slam conservatives (ie. one of those "If you're a conservative you'd never vote for a minority or woman and if you say you would you're a damned liar" threads):

Yes I would vote for a minority. Yes I would vote for a woman. No I wouldn't vote for a minority or woman just because they're a minority or woman. Why do you care so much - if everyone can self-identity any way they want, then Trump could wake up tomorrow, say he's now identifies as a black woman and BAM - instant SJW PC president.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:11 PM

10,445 posts, read 4,643,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
This is true. Many of the founding fathers were Unitarian Universalist. John Adams was one.
I think Jefferson would be considered a Deist today. And the influential pamphleteer Thomas Paine had a low opinion of organized religion in general.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:41 PM

3,258 posts, read 1,023,894 times
This poll is inherently flawed.

Also, why should sex or race be determining factors for political candidate?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 PM

4,938 posts, read 2,669,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have strongly suggested she be Trump's current running mate for the 2020 election.
I have emailed him a few times suggesting he dump Pence, and pick Nikki to run with him.
Them winning, would assure a woman president in 2024.

Bob.
If Trump dumps Pence, Haley will most certainly not accept the VP bid. She's way too smart for that, plus considering Mike Pompeo has had his nose buried in Trump's tush from the jump, Pompeo would run her over with a Punjab Tuk-Tuk before letting that opportunity slip past him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or