U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 10:56 AM

15,819 posts, read 13,639,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's not. I think the study has it backwards. It implies that men want to marry as always but women are turning them down. I think it's men who want to marry less because fewer want to be thought of "economically attractive". Men are filtering out the women looking for a "provider" and it's those women that are complaining.
Those women wish to live in the 1950s when fewer married women were working.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:59 AM

32,756 posts, read 20,703,595 times
Why is marriages being down a negative thing? Women have the ability to support themselves, so can be much more selective of whom they marry, and so can guys. That's a good thing. It's also good if people are marrying later in life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-08-2019, 11:03 AM

12,774 posts, read 10,757,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why is marriages being down a negative thing? Women have the ability to support themselves, so can be much more selective of whom they marry, and so can guys. That's a good thing. It's also good if people are marrying later in life.
I think only traditionalists who believe in strict gender roles would have an issue with people waiting longer to marry, if at all. I'm about 25 and only know maybe 3 people who I went to high school and college with who are married. I know more married people from law school but they also tend to be a bit older, most people my age or a little younger who I know from law school are not married or engaged. None of my friends have kids. We are mostly working on our careers and educations and not concerned with rushing marriage and/or kids. It has nothing to do with being picky about men or wanting someone to support us or not support us. It's simply that in 2019, life is different for young men and women, our priorities are different, and I think it's a good thing.

I also live in an upper middle class+ area of the NYC metro which may play a role in why people I know and myself are how we are.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:07 AM

4,914 posts, read 2,272,630 times
Quote:
Exactly. People can take the time to grow up and learn before taking on the responsibility.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,098,480 times
I can't imagine any self-respecting woman who would want to be in a relationship with a man who instead of talking about making love with a beautiful woman, would say that he was mating with an attractive female. It sounds more like breeding dogs than having a love affair. In my mind, they're only "females" when they are suspects or specimens.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:10 AM

32,756 posts, read 20,703,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think only traditionalists who believe in strict gender roles would have an issue with people waiting longer to marry, if at all. I'm about 25 and only know maybe 3 people who I went to high school and college with who are married. I know more married people from law school but they also tend to be a bit older, most people my age or a little younger who I know from law school are not married or engaged. None of my friends have kids. We are mostly working on our careers and educations and not concerned with rushing marriage and/or kids. It has nothing to do with being picky about men or wanting someone to support us or not support us. It's simply that in 2019, life is different for young men and women, our priorities are different, and I think it's a good thing.

Couldn't agree with this more!

Men and women have options now, not a single path they are "supposed" to take. Women aren't running around wringing their hands needing to find a man (if they don't want), men aren't judged at work if they do not have a wife and kids at home.

I'm 52, and never felt the need to marry, I did because I wanted to, but waited until 35, it just wasn't a priority.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-08-2019, 11:33 AM

5,328 posts, read 5,184,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Do a google search for:

"female manipulators"

(be sure to include the quotation marks--this exact phrase is important).

It will yield 358 results. A mere 14 pages of results.

Scroll through them.

It will tell you all you need to know.
do not forget about this classic piece.
indoctrination is strong, if cnn does not cover the subject of female manipulations and male disposable utility, it is not because none exist.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 AM

33,350 posts, read 17,081,090 times
Just came across a quote - artist/writer Winston Rowntree spent some time looking at young men's dating profiles and had this to say:

Quote:
Your life is not a character arc in which the Love Interest is obligated to appear at some point – it is a horribly free-form escalator ride to the grave, and it’s up to you to make the most of it by shaping yourself into the kind of person that the kind of person you’re attracted to would plausibly find attractive.
Seemed apt.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 AM

5,328 posts, read 5,184,460 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree with this more!

Men and women have options now, not a single path they are "supposed" to take. Women aren't running around wringing their hands needing to find a man (if they don't want), men aren't judged at work if they do not have a wife and kids at home.

I'm 52, and never felt the need to marry, I did because I wanted to, but waited until 35, it just wasn't a priority.
Good 50% of population is just scrapping by with no lucrative career in sight, a good marriage would make lives of many much easier. Lower income sisterhood has no extra income to make up for the lack of a solid marriage, yet upper middle class career women mindset dominate trailer parks.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,307,838 times
focusing on 'economically attractive' men is short sighted. That's like throwing money at the problem.

as long as he's fiscally responsible, kind, romantic, handy, he should be worth marrying.

Also, women can be breadwinners and bring home supplemental income. why does it matter that his salary is a little less than ideal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or