U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,500,365 times

Advertisements

I always remember during a marriage encounter one woman said.... "he said he'd die for me, but never does" and the guy who responded in a group session to the leader when the leader said" your wife tells me you never buy her flowers" ... husband responded "I didn't even know she sold flowers".

... just sayin'

Old 09-08-2019, 04:17 PM

18,817 posts, read 8,559,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
So what?

As women have improved their economic circumstances, they no longer think they must get married to the first (or second, or thirtieth) guy who comes along.

Marriage is an economic proposition, always has been.

I think it's great that women no longer think that getting married is always better than being single. It isn't.

So yes, guys, if you want to get married, you're gonna have to put something more on the table than just your Y chromosome. And, contrary to Absolom, genuine love and support is definitely one of those things. Just bringing home the bacon isn't enough.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:48 PM

6,727 posts, read 7,638,305 times
This thread is disturbing because of the amount of people who do not understand what is happening here. The family is the foundation of our society, a husband and wife raising children together and teaching them to be productive members of society. In tact families, including grandparents and aunts and uncles provide a stable environment for young people to develop. It also gives everyone a sense of responsibility to others and to their communities. Today the fabric of our society is unraveling. Feminism, metoo and the changing economy have changed the game. Women are encouraged to be very selective and be hesitant to marry. As has been stated our modern economy has harmed men and elevated women economically. Women choose to not marry or to walk away from marriage as they no longer feel they need it. Promiscuous behavior has become acceptable as has the single parent family as marriage has declined.

Men have reacted to this as well. MGTOW advocates men not to marry and to avoid permanent entanglements with women. They point out what appears to be obvious negative traits of women revealed by the societal changes, gold digging, hostility toward men and untrustworthy behavior of the type that has become common with the Walk away wife syndrome ( google it) MGTOW is a bitter organization but they make some very solid arguments that cannot be denied. Again their views are easily found on the web. Years of abuse by women in family courts followed by the recent MEtoo assault on men have really turned men cynical about women and marriage. None of this is good for society, children do better with both parents this has been proven over and over again. The genders no longer seem interested in the age old partnerships that have existed for thousands of years. Nothing good will come from the demise of the institution of marriage.

I am thankful I am part of a generation that still embraced marriage (I’m late 40s). I personally have been married for 26 years. Most people my age that I know are long term married. It is hard for me to believe people no longer want this. Of course all the radical changes to our society we have seen over the past 15 years or so are quite shocking. I just wonder how all this has happened.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:57 PM

The best a single parent can do is 50% of the job.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 PM

6,833 posts, read 4,721,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This thread is disturbing because of the amount of people who do not understand what is happening here. The family is the foundation of our society, a husband and wife raising children together and teaching them to be productive members of society. In tact families, including grandparents and aunts and uncles provide a stable environment for young people to develop. It also gives everyone a sense of responsibility to others and to their communities. Today the fabric of our society is unraveling. Feminism, metoo and the changing economy have changed the game. Women are encouraged to be very selective and be hesitant to marry. As has been stated our modern economy has harmed men and elevated women economically. Women choose to not marry or to walk away from marriage as they no longer feel they need it. Promiscuous behavior has become acceptable as has the single parent family as marriage has declined.

Men have reacted to this as well. MGTOW advocates men not to marry and to avoid permanent entanglements with women. They point out what appears to be obvious negative traits of women revealed by the societal changes, gold digging, hostility toward men and untrustworthy behavior of the type that has become common with the Walk away wife syndrome ( google it) MGTOW is a bitter organization but they make some very solid arguments that cannot be denied. Again their views are easily found on the web. Years of abuse by women in family courts followed by the recent MEtoo assault on men have really turned men cynical about women and marriage. None of this is good for society, children do better with both parents this has been proven over and over again. The genders no longer seem interested in the age old partnerships that have existed for thousands of years. Nothing good will come from the demise of the institution of marriage.

I am thankful I am part of a generation that still embraced marriage (I’m late 40s). I personally have been married for 26 years. Most people my age that I know are long term married. It is hard for me to believe people no longer want this. Of course all the radical changes to our society we have seen over the past 15 years or so are quite shocking. I just wonder how all this has happened.
Years of abuse by women? Get back to me when women kill their partners as frequently as men do. Or when women become the punchers instead of the punching bags. Or when women rape and molest men at the same rate men rape and molest women.

Yeah, you guys have really had it rough since time immemorial.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:21 PM

5,990 posts, read 2,459,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

Bravo, well said. It's the truth.

With the disintegration of the family unit that has served us for 1000s of generations we see major changes and they're not all for the good. We're devolving to the level of chimpanzees. One only has to look around our cities and their suburbs. Which people are succeeding? The families. Which are on the welfare rolls? Single mothers and derelects who I'm willing to bet never had family in their life.

Family is our strength, what we have now is not serving us well.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:28 PM

9,336 posts, read 4,596,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The Marriage Crisis
How marriage has changed in the last 50 years and why it continues to decline

"While marriage is in decline, unmarried cohabitation is on the rise. Fifteen times the number of couples today live together outside of marriage than in 1960. Almost half of cohabiting households include children."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
France introduced "cohabitation" laws giving such relationships some (but not all) legal status of marriage to accommodate gays/lesbians demanding same sex marriage. In the end year after year it was straight couples who overwhelmingly registered for PACS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_solidarity_pact

https://bonjourparis.com/archives/ma...-are-changing/

In fact across Europe and elsewhere cohabitation (straight couples) rates have risen with or without legal protections. This is worrying to some on many fronts, but never the less it does seem formal marriage may be losing appeal for younger generations.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/cohabitat...lity-in-europe

https://www.population-europe.eu/pop...etting-married
Living together not married began in the mid 60's with the sexual revolution, much to the parent's disapproval. So, yep I can see it continuing, as it is just something about that piece of paper.

We're still family ... with all the respect that goes with it. (imo)

Old 09-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Has anyone looked at divorce rate for same sex couples? lol

Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 PM

6,769 posts, read 3,738,151 times
Two of my husband's former IT coworkers were single women in their 30s living with men and having children with them, and one other. Both were well educated and making 6 figures a year. One made a lot more than the man she was living with who was the father of one of her children.

Both said they did not want to get married, ever. They said getting married and going through a divorce was unnecessary and complicated. If either party decided it was over, they could just leave. Both women could easily support themselves and their children on the money they themselves made.

I guess that is just how it is today for many women.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Common law marriage is just as complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or