U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 10:14 PM

36,774 posts, read 10,968,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

Well, okay--women's educational level exceeds that of men, according to the article.

Maybe men are sick of the PMS (Perpetual Menstrual Syndrome)-suffering, men-hating, screaming campus banshees, and don't want to be in the middle of that drama.

You pay for your thrills, ladies.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 PM

25,370 posts, read 12,415,910 times
Quote:
Proof positive women are gold diggers.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 AM

47,447 posts, read 34,804,362 times
Marriage rates have substantially declined in all OECD countries and the age at first marriage has been increasing over the past 50+ years.

Divorce rates are stabilizing.

Women have been equally responsible for ongoing spousal support since 1979, dependent on income and circumstances.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-09-2019 at 06:57 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 AM

22,563 posts, read 22,108,912 times
Quote:
Do you ever read the actual study your linked articles are based on?

Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 AM

11,520 posts, read 10,439,118 times
We actually are friends with 2 families from our town where the wives work and the husbands are stay at home dads, taking care of the kids. Being from Gen X, this is not all that common, but the 2 wives make 7 figures and both families seem to be living happily with their situations.

Personally, I couldn’t do it no matter how much money my wife was making. Yes, there is the pride factor, but also, as much as I love my children, I am not built for the job that these 2 guys (or stay at home moms) do. It is hard work, and I dont shy away from hard work, but it is the type of work that I would find difficult. Trying to get 3 irrational beings to school on time while they are fighting you the whole way, cooking for them, cleaning up after them, chauffeuring them around all day long, etc. I give my wife a lot of credit for the job she does.

It’s funny though, when we get together as families, I usually find myself talking with the wife most of the time, while my wife talks with the husband about school stuff. I do try to be non judgmental with the way people choose to live their lives, but if I am being honest about it, there is a part of me that wonders how these guys do it.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:02 AM

32,782 posts, read 37,318,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Men and women have options now, not a single path they are "supposed" to take. Women aren't running around wringing their hands needing to find a man (if they don't want), men aren't judged at work if they do not have a wife and kids at home.

I'm 52, and never felt the need to marry, I did because I wanted to, but waited until 35, it just wasn't a priority.
I'm not an expert but for women who want children the risks I believe of problems increase at this age and older. I believe the prime birth years in 23-33. It may be why we are seeing more problems in kids like Autism.

I could be wrong.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:06 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,473,798 times
Dating, sex, and relationships have become mostly just a novelty in the modern era. People no longer need to pair together for survival. Women no longer need a man to hunt for them or protect them. They can be very picky, trying to find that perfect mate and not settling with just anybody because they have too.

It just goes to show that we're evolving as a species. We're trying to seek a higher purpose than just humping, killing, and surviving day to day like our ancestors.

And if a man prefers to sit in his basement playing video games all day, so be it. Why is this a problem? With automation and AI coming to kill most jobs off, we don't need as many people on this planet as we once did. If anything, we need quality people with good looks, high IQs, who can compete in the modern society.

Last edited by s1alker; 09-09-2019 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 AM

22,563 posts, read 22,108,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
“Most American women hope to marry but current shortages of marriageable men—men with a stable job and a good income—make this increasingly difficult, especially in the current gig economy of unstable low-paying service jobs,” said lead author Daniel T. Lichter, PhD, of Cornell University. “Marriage is still based on love, but it also is fundamentally an economic transaction. Many young men today have little to bring to the marriage bargain, especially as young women’s educational levels on average now exceed their male suitors.”

I don't see a problem with women hoping to marry a man with a stable job and a good income.
Everyone should hope to marry someone with a stale job and good income. Who wants to marry someone that is going to be a financial burden, unless a person wants a stay at home spouse/parent.

I don't believe most american women hope to marry either. I'd say fewer young women hope to marry. My great nieces have no interest in marriage now (21-26). They are busy pursuing their education, careers and enjoying themselves.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:08 AM

6,833 posts, read 4,719,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm not an expert but for women who want children the risks I believe of problems increase at this age and older. I believe the prime birth years in 23-33. It may be why we are seeing more problems in kids like Autism.

I could be wrong.
There have been multiple studies that show an increased instance of autism with age, but they’re finding the largest increased risk is based on paternal age not maternal.

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/li...ism-explained/

Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 AM

27,812 posts, read 16,165,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Everyone should hope to marry someone with a stale job and good income. Who wants to marry someone that is going to be a financial burden, unless a person wants a stay at home spouse/parent.

I don't believe most american women hope to marry either. I'd say fewer young women hope to marry. My great nieces have no interest in marriage now (21-26). They are busy pursuing their education, careers and enjoying themselves.
Yeah when they are staying careers, ask again when they are 28, 29, 30, 31... I'm sure many will change their minds at that point. They just don't want to freeze now and limit growth early on. A few years down the road, it might be different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or