U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,862 posts, read 872,411 times
Reputation: 840

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well according to other posts, male suicides are at an all time high.


So I doubt it is all about this one issue.
Yeah, but that's just a power curve

If you take the same age group about 29-35, is really a tie


If you also take same the same occupation or income classes it is also very 50/50.

 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,862 posts, read 872,411 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Marriage rates have substantially declined in all OECD countries and the age at first marriage has been increasing over the past 50+ years.

Divorce rates are stabilizing.

Women have been equally responsible for ongoing spousal support since 1979, dependent on income and circumstances.
This pretty much sounds about right, add also into the fact that net-taxes have been revoked by the welfare state.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 AM
 
Location: USA
6,231 posts, read 5,475,318 times
Reputation: 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why is it that 90% of the time, women end up marrying men who make more money than them?
Because men, in general choose professions that are high paying. That can be anything from lawyer to electrician.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 AM
 
6,833 posts, read 4,721,023 times
Reputation: 13544
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I disagree. High IQ, makes good looks irrelevant. Look at Einstein, Hawking, Franklin, and a myriad of other historical figures that advanced our society far more than anyone who looks like Brad Pitt or Scarlett Johansson. Looks will benefit people with low and average IQ’s or slightly better, but doesn’t make much of a difference in those with exceptional IQs.
High IQ is relevant for advancing society via scientific discovery or any number of tangible contributions to human life.

Historically, high IQ has been irrelevant for men if not coupled with the ability to support a family and completely irrelevant (and frequently viewed as a negative) for women who have historically been judged on beauty and in some instances (dowries) how much money she brought into the marriage. Marriage was much more of a business deal in the past. Survival for women and gaining offspring for men.

I would guess that High IQ today is still irrelevant if it’s the ONLY asset one has to offer. A person with a High IQ only may solve the problem of cold fusion, but is unlikely to be successful at finding a mate unless they also have other desirable traits.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,564 posts, read 22,114,417 times
Reputation: 21867
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What things can young women give to young men who left the basement? Not much except sex. Why has liberation super charged female materialism? It is not like people starving on the streets yet female materialism is off the charts compared to older generations. To score with females a man must engage in materialistic pursuits, not for survival but to collect "credits" to impress females, to engage in materialistic pursuits men must destroy the world more and more. That is not a winning reproduction strategy speaking of our specie as a whole.
Materialism, such as?

We seem to ignore the fact that 57.1% of women work while 69.1% of men work.
That the average income of both single men and single women are about the same.
People tend to marry withing their own socioeconomic group
married men out earn unmarried men.

Why is all that ignored and you try to push some agenda that young women are unemployed, broke and dependent and are only attracted to young men loaded with money that can buy them stuff.

So besides earning an income, a young women spends twice the time caring for a mans children and twice the time on housework, cooking, etc. than men do.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 AM
 
6,833 posts, read 4,721,023 times
Reputation: 13544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Materialism, such as?

We seem to ignore the fact that 57.1% of women work while 69.1% of men work.
That the average income of both single men and single women are about the same.
People tend to marry withing their own socioeconomic group
married men out earn unmarried men.

Why is all that ignored and you try to push some agenda that young women are unemployed, broke and dependent and are only attracted to young men loaded with money that can buy them stuff.

So besides earning an income, a young women spends twice the time caring for a mans children and twice the time on housework, cooking, etc. than men do.
Maybe because without the all women are gold diggers out to get men assumption men unable to find mates may have to accept there are qualities other than income they lack?

In other words, maybe it’s easier to blame an entire gender than admit it might be you.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,759 posts, read 20,710,934 times
Reputation: 47325
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Maybe because without the all women are gold diggers out to get men assumption men unable to find mates may have to accept there are qualities other than income they lack?

In other words, maybe it’s easier to blame an entire gender than admit it might be you.


Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM
 
Location: OH->FL->NJ
10,529 posts, read 8,323,392 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
High IQ is relevant for advancing society via scientific discovery or any number of tangible contributions to human life.

Historically, high IQ has been irrelevant for men if not coupled with the ability to support a family and completely irrelevant (and frequently viewed as a negative) for women who have historically been judged on beauty and in some instances (dowries) how much money she brought into the marriage. Marriage was much more of a business deal in the past. Survival for women and gaining offspring for men.

I would guess that High IQ today is still irrelevant if it’s the ONLY asset one has to offer. A person with a High IQ only may solve the problem of cold fusion, but is unlikely to be successful at finding a mate unless they also have other desirable traits.
The highest IQ person I have ever met, (male) well into the twilight zone level of intelligent, complete with PHD in chemistry and pharmacology is stick thin and definitely lacks more than basic human relation ability.

Interestingly the 2nd highest I knew ( a female PHD prof during college) was female, social, married and had very high human relations ability. Married to an army colonel.

Knew both many years ago. Have not met people in the same upper tiny fraction since.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,564 posts, read 22,114,417 times
Reputation: 21867
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why is it that 90% of the time, women end up marrying men who make more money than them?
More women than men go into fields with lower pay.
Single men and single and married women are at the same general pay scale. Married men make more than all of them.
After marriage women are 90% more likely to go part time, quit work, or find a more flexible lower paying job because they are the ones who care for the kids, taking them to and from school/daycare, taking them to dr. appts, staying home with them when they are sick, etc.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,564 posts, read 22,114,417 times
Reputation: 21867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
The modern laws are such that if man gets divorced, he is doomed for the rest of his life, providing half or more of his earning forever for ex-spouse. Basically, it's a one-time shot. I wonder how anybody is still risky enough to get married here.
Actually you are terribly wrong about modern divorce laws. Maybe want to educate yourself a bit. Easy to do these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top