Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,542,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I read the article and the study abstract. Unfortunately the full study is not available without purchase. I respect Cornell and the issue may be with the way the study has been summarized but I don't see how the conclusion is supported by the methodology. If I understand it correctly they used data on reent marriages to construct a sort of construct. Then they compared the construct to unmarried men to determine how many are as economincally well-off or less well-off than the construct.

Assuming that the construct is calculated correctly and is better off than more than a majority of the available males, I think it is a big jump to conclude that therefore enough women won't marry until they meet someone like or better than the construct that it impacts the overall marriage rate. For one, couldn't it just as likely mean that people are now holding off on getting married until they are more established? And why suppose that the decision making is solely on the women? What if men were deciding they didn't want to marry if they didn't have a certain level of achievement?

I don't buy those explanations either, I simply throw them out there as alternative explanations for the results of the study. I wish I'd been able to read the whole thing because honestly the summaries make it look pretty sloppy with rspect to why the conclusions flow logically from the data/results.
Implicit assumption here that people work on getting "established" when in fact good 50% of population has no career to speak of and lives paycheck to paycheck. Yet woman' materialistic view of a man transcends income, education, career and class. Perhaps it was always this way but there were checks and balances too. Today one way relationship materialism is unchecked by customs, traditions and laws. What we see is genuine unconstrained expression of the feminine.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,481,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What hypocrisy? Attractive males take on all women available to them. Unattractive women think they're too good to date any male that isn't exceptionally attractive. Obviously a percentage of males who are exceptionally attractive enough can't and wouldn't settle down with all the average and unattractive females, they're just side pieces.
You mean attractive women, not unattractive women. Attractive women have not been interested in dating me, since I'm not good looking. Sometimes unattractive women have been, though.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 PM

5,431 posts, read 6,057,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Even though I was quite fetching as a young eligible lady, in my 40 years' experience in the dating game, I never dated a man who made more money than me.
I think this is almost true for me. One man I dated for around three months when I was in my early 20s made more than me. But since then I have made more than my significant other. I have been married now for seven years, and the fact that he made less than me was fine.

I will say with respect to my outlook on men and money and how it impacted whether I would marry a particular man. I lived with a man that I decided not to marry for several reasons, but money was a big part of it. However, it wasn't because he didn't earn much money (although that was true) - it was because he was terribly irresponsible with money. The man I did end up marrying also doesn't make much money but he is very responsible about money, which in the end is the important thing. For me anyway.

This thread seems to be rife with conclusions that all women are a particular way because of the behavior of a small subset of women. Yes, some women are money-grubbing and shallow. Some in no way, shape or form means all. Some men beat their wives. That doesn't mean they all do - it's a small subset.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,880,863 times
Half the posters on this thread sound like the kind of psycho men who shoot up a mall or school because they can’t get the attention of the women they want attention from. FFS, get a life and stop bashing women and blaming them for everything. It’s not a good look and it’s pretty effing lame. I never see women go to the lengths to bash men that men go to to bash women. It’s a serious issue and no coincidence that men are the violent ones when you look at the hateful, bitter crap some of them spew.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:21 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,952,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Annie53 - Sounds good to me. Are you available?
Nope, not a good fit.

Heck, I still have my ERA bracelet from the 70's.

I have always been much too independent to rely solely on someone else.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:23 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,055,001 times
It's easier to blame women than to ask "what could I do to be a better person?"

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid men will kill them."--Margaret Atwood

Old 09-07-2019, 08:23 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,542,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Men who think of women in these terms are doomed if they truly are looking for love.

But I'm not sure what you're looking for, actually.
Manipulative female rhetoric strikes again. What is love really? A female might stick a knife between man' ribs, turn it a few times and she'll keep on professing love to that man. As some women told me, "there are many ways to love." So technically there are ways for a woman to love a man when she cuts into his lifeless ribcage with a knife. Women throw around word "love" way too much for it mean much, but then when pressed to explain herself she claims secret, deep, sacral knowledge of that word only a supreme spiritual being like herself can understand.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 11 days ago)

14,465 posts, read 9,537,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Half the posters on this thread sound like the kind of psycho men who shoot up a mall or school because they can’t get the attention of the women they want attention from. FFS, get a life and stop bashing women and blaming them for everything. It’s not a good look and it’s pretty effing lame. I never see women go to the lengths to bash men that men go to to bash women. It’s a serious issue and no coincidence that men are the violent ones when you look at the hateful, bitter crap some of them spew.
I had to look up the word for a male equivalent of feminism. lol Go figure. Meninism, can you believe it!

Old 09-07-2019, 08:26 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,952,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
That's what I have, and I am very thankful for it.
It's all good unless hubby dies young or runs off with some sweet young thing in his fifties leaving his unskilled wife to fend for herself at some low end, entry level job with not enough time left to play catch up.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,060,517 times
^Thank you for your well-reasoned post, JerseyGirl. Hard to believe that in 2019 there are boys who are still mad that women are gainfully employed, contributing to the tax base and the GDP.
Also, the “females” terminology is a sure indicator of a knuckle-dragging, celibate basement-dweller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.