U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

4,573 posts, read 8,337,217 times

Advertisements

"Color" is an Americanism anyway. Language and ethnicity DO truly define people, and having diversity in those fields help bring all factions of a society together.

Black people in the US though do have their own common informal language- AAVE (Ebonics) which is a legitimate "language" as per people who study language (linguists).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Color should have no bearing in who the leader is . May the best person who can abide by the constitution, play well with others fairly, and have the desire to lead our country to a better place, regardless of anything of anything else, is what we need.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

17,733 posts, read 19,225,389 times
Where are the great Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Multiracial leaders and why aren't white folks looking for them?

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

49,190 posts, read 46,058,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The man was brilliant ahead his of time. Believed blacks could achieve equality by being self reliant. And he was right because in the end no matter what color you are “Money Talks”. Unfortunately history shows the black community chose a different path by following a certain party and leaders like the community agitator. I wonder what Washington would have thought if he could have seen the future.

Attachment 214370

https://www.history.com/topics/black...r-t-washington
Well, you don't have a say who Black leaders are.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

49,190 posts, read 46,058,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Where are the great Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Multiracial leaders and why aren't white folks looking for them?
For the same reason there are people obsessing about who Blacks vote for. It is about "why can't Blacks do what we want them to do"?

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

4,039 posts, read 719,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
quelching speech on the basis of skin color? It's hard to think of a better example that fits the definition of "racism."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't care what you call it. If you are not black you have no say in who our leaders are or should be. It's totally irrelevant if an outsider feels a black leader is good or bad. In fact, relative to the traditional opposition demographic for blacks, whether they they think blacks are good or bad is inversely related to whether they are actually good or bad for blacks.

It's not a question of what I call it. It's what it actually is: pure and simple racism. If what I say about an Al Sharpton is 'totally irrelevant' simply due to my skin tone, it's no different than a Sam Rayburn saying you can't vote for US President due to your skin tone.

As for the last sentence of your post...what does that even mean?

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

9,097 posts, read 7,886,039 times
The leaders you get are a combination of the people who follow them and the moneyed and powerful people behind the scenes who fund them, pick them, and work behind the scenes.

A great example is Obama. How does a first term senator become POTUS? Answer: Very powerful and rich people.

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,835,555 times
Just to intervene in the discussion a little it seems like there is some level of disconnection as to what this thread is about. Some seem to be addressing leaders who happen to be black while others are talking about leaders of the black community itself.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

161 posts, read 15,325 times
There are some prominent black 'leaders' out there and have been for years. I like people like Herman Cain, Allen West, David Clarke, Candace Owens...I would take any of them as my leader any day.......

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

4,039 posts, read 719,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Are you black? If not...you have no skin in the game.
Yeah, let's look at some corollaries to this. Not white? Then you can't criticize David Duke or Richard Spencer. Not Jewish--you can't say a word about Israel. Not Christian? Can't discuss the Bible. And so forth.

Reductio Ad Absurdum.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

10,244 posts, read 6,777,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I wonder if one reason you like him is that I gather he was a lower-key black leader who didn't directly threaten the status quo - he was not loudly demanding voting rights, for instance.
Exactly.

The problem or paradox was that Washington's mantra of black self-improvement (in the context of a very limited level of participation in society that was allowed to black people at the time) - was actually met with white hostility to black self-determination and indepedence.

Such as destroying relatively well off black communities in Rosewood, Florida, and Tulsa, Oklahoma in the 1920s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies