Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Because I don't.

I just wondered. Clearly there's no comparison in substance - Clinton was accused of lying under oath about his personal sex life, which in no way related to his presidential oath, nor financial schemes, nor power grabbing (just girl-grabbing), nor reflected in any way on the country - while Trump's situation may involve having committed a range of illegal acts - illegal hush-money, violation of the emoluments clause, obstruction of justice, etc.

But I was wondering if it began in the same way, with a preliminary vote in the House, for instance.

I guess with Nixon, he left before anything began?
The Clinton impeachment went before the full house while currently the House Judiciary committee is essentially working on a Trump impeachment without the full house agreeing to it. They are waffling a bit, making sure they have enough without forcing a vote on it.

Clinton was impeached for lying about the White Water thing as well as having sex with Lewinski, and then lying about that.

Impeachment is allowed for "high crimes and misdemeanors" which the Constitution left undefined, so basically it can be for anything.

I agree that Trump seems to have skirted the law and obstructed to a greater extent than Clinton did. If he is impeached I suspect that corruption involving his hotels will play a big part in that. It is pretty blatant what is going on with his hotels. The guys has a lot of chutzpah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:53 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
The actual act - the sex - in no way affected the country. No matter how distasteful we may consider that, it was consensual and private, and did not belong in court, and not even in the news. It did not involve anything illegal, like Trump's hush money.

But still, you keep letting your bias side-track you from the question. This isn't about your opinion of Clinton.
Where it did not belong was the Oval Office.

Hey you are president and you want to diddle interns with cigars go rent a room somewhere.

Don't do it in the Oval Office on my tax dollars.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:02 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Rumblings but no, not really. Media wasn't what it's warped into today and social media wasn't a thing. I'm sure those who were into it could get all the info they wanted though, but I had a life to live.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:29 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
The actual act - the sex - in no way affected the country. No matter how distasteful we may consider that, it was consensual and private, and did not belong in court, and not even in the news. It did not involve anything illegal, like Trump's hush money.

But still, you keep letting your bias side-track you from the question. This isn't about your opinion of Clinton.
Yes, it did. If for no other reason than he did that in our house...the people's house...the White House.

It showed a lack of respect for the people he was governing.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:44 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Clinton’s impeachment began with a house vote but it died in the senate, the voice of reason.
No, Clinton's impeachment didn't die.

Removal from office died because the Senate acquitted him.

Once at least one Article of Impeachment has been brought to the House floor (not just in committee, but to the House floor), and has passed that vote on the House floor, then the President has been impeached.

Both Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson were Presidents who were impeached.

Both Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson were acquitted in their trials in the Senate, and remained in office.

Their acquittals in their Senate trials didn't make them 'less impeached'.

They had still been impeached.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:56 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Because I don't.

I just wondered. Clearly there's no comparison in substance - Clinton was accused of lying under oath about his personal sex life, which in no way related to his presidential oath, nor financial schemes, nor power grabbing (just girl-grabbing), nor reflected in any way on the country - while Trump's situation may involve having committed a range of illegal acts - illegal hush-money, violation of the emoluments clause, obstruction of justice, etc.

But I was wondering if it began in the same way, with a preliminary vote in the House, for instance.

Sex wasn't what Clinton was impeached for. It was his involvement in the Whitewater Investment outfit.

The affair was suddenly revealed just after the impeachment proceedings began. Since it was a lot hotter news item than questionable financial investment, it took over the proceedings.

But it was never added to the impeachment charges. In the end, Congress could never find anything criminal in the Clinton investment. They just lost some of their money in the deal along with a big bunch of other investors.

But the Lewinski affair became the focus issue in the public's minds, and Whitewater was forgotten. The reason why the Congressional committee didn't pursue the affair longer was because so many of the leading Republicans had their own affairs that pursuing Lewinski was wiping out the GOP House leadership.

In the course of 3 days, 3 different House Speakers, one seated and 2 replacements, all resigned and left Congress. One of the 3 only lasted about 5 minutes as Speaker. As soon as he was elected, he resigned after giving a short speech. The third lasted about a day before he resigned.

This put the brakes on the hearings, as the House Republicans suddenly needed to elect a House Speaker who would stay on the job.

To stop the slaughter, the House voted Clinton not guilty and stopped the impeachment.

Nixon only resigned when he learned there were enough votes to convict him of impeachment. Rather than allowing himself to become the only President forced out of office by law, he resigned.

Impeachment is a political charge That carries no criminal penalty. Conviction's only sentence is expulsion from the government. The convicted person is forced out, and it's in his legal record for life. Politically, it's like getting a death sentence. Once a judge is locked out by a convicted impeachment, the chamber doors are never re-opened for him again.

There have been many federal judges and other officials who have been impeached and convicted.
Their impeachments came in a committee hearing or something similar, but to impeach a President requires the full House for the trial, and the full Senate for the sentencing, with SCOTUS acting as the judges.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:19 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, a republican senate.....
There were 55 Republicans and 45 democrats with a vote of 67 required to impeach, the votes on the 2 articles of impeachment were 55 and 50 by the GOP, the democrats were 45 not guilty on both. So lets not make believe that the republicans had any sense in their votes to impeach a president lying about his sex life amounted to High Crimes and Misdemeanors. If they had 67 GOP members they would have gone down in history as a face.

Just imagine Henry Hyde who had multiple affairs serving as chairman during the trial, truly high ground.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
clinton was impeached on TWO counts, one for committing perjury to a federal grand jury, the second being obstruction of justice. i believe the initial list of charges was eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Nope, they didn't have enough votes to impeach which is why it died. No Dems would go along with the impeachment which is why it died.

clinton WAS impeached, however the CONVICTION failed in the senate.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:12 AM

36 posts, read 16,981 times
Quote:
Because I don't.

Yes, it did.

It was all a Grand Big Circus.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:39 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You need to go re-read answers...really....

He lied under oath......and was impeached...are you really saying that in no way affected our country?

Please ask an ADMIN to close this thread to stop your embarrassment.....
He had a profound effect on society.
From that time period to this, 8th graders believe that oral sex is not really sex. In fact, we no longer have to explain to 16 year-olds what oral sex is. They are now fully informed and a great many of them are experienced. And it will be like this forevermore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies