Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 01:56 PM

814 posts, read 667,087 times

Advertisements

Many school test numbers across the country are on the decline and a big reason why home schooling is on the rise along with charter schools. Even in good areas drugs are a huge problem and eroding public schools. Teachers aren't equipped to deal with any of this disconnect nor do they get paid enough.

There needs to be harsher punishment and perhaps a military school where bad kids get sent to where they work and learn life skills. Parents should be held accountable and have to sign on the dotted line.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,781,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would say the kids need to be taken away from the parents for a while and put in boot-camp style schools. And this should be for all trouble makers, regardless of race. At the same time, I wonder how effective that will be. The Vice Lords, a Chicago street gang, got their start in a reform school during the late 1950s.
Boot camp schools do not work.

https://www.discoveryacademy.com/boo...ork-heres-why/

Quote:
Punishment alone is not enough.

Punishment alone has no meaningful long-term effect on changing behavior. Dr. Michael Karson described an experiment where rats were conditioned into pressing a lever by intermittently rewarding them. Then, researchers divided the rats into two groups. In one group, the rats stopped receiving the reward when they pressed the lever. The rats pressed the lever 100 times before they lost interest in it. In the second group, the rats received an electric shock when they pressed the lever. In response to this punishment, the rats in this group avoided the lever for a short period of time. Then, the rats pressed the lever 100 times before they lost interest in it. The punishment had no long-term effect on the rats’ behavior whatsoever.

Rather than punishment being effective in changing long-term behavior, Karson suggests, children and teens may learn to avoid the problem behavior for a short time. Then, when they think no one is watching, they are likely to resume the problem behavior. Moreover, they are likely resentful toward the parents who punished them. Some research indicates that teens’ still-developing brains may be at a disadvantage when it comes to learning from punishment.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:00 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,167,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
another anonymous video from a twitter account posted on CD to encourage stereotyping and hatred of black kids. it is a disgusting and scary video, but is this type of behavior a common occurrence in schools? unless you can site statistics, I won't think so.

Who hasn't read the news stories of several parents murdering their children in the last week? do all parents murder their children? No, they do not.
I don't deny for a moment that this crap is happening in schools, particularly in the inner cities. At the same time, I do question the motives. If this video was made because there are people who want to protect teachers and show what they go through, I'm all for that. There is a good reason I don't want to teach. I'm not saying I'll never do it. I'm saying that for now, I'm okay with not teaching. Too much to go through, and I'm not a patient person. Back to the topic. If this is about bringing light to what teachers go through, I'm all for that. However, I notice this is about "Black people are America's biggest problem".

I see this is more about fomenting more hatred towards Blacks. Yes, those were Black girls doing that. And no, I don't make any excuses for their stupid butts. They should have been arrested for assault and battery straight away. Had this been two males doing this, they would have been arrested and put in prison. These incidents happen more than you think. At the same time, where are they happening? And more importantly, WHY are they happening? What kind of hit assaults a teacher?

Old 09-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, we can't reward bad behavior. If you assault a teacher, there needs to be consequences for such behavior. Boot camp schools might not be the end all, be all. In fact, I even brought up that a violent Chicago gang has its roots in a reform school. At the same time, this is how I see it. Those monsters need to be broken down, and then rebuilt.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,375,528 times
I would like to know what set those teens off! Still, I wonder how long until an arrest is made then a BLM group say they arrested that Black girl because she was Black!

Old 09-08-2019, 02:05 PM

814 posts, read 667,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For those who feel that Black people are such a problem, what do you personally think the solution is (besides bringing back segregation, because I'm against bringing back segregation)?
There's a huge disconnect among teens. It's popular to not care and showing how far you'll take it gets you in the "more likes" crowd.

To top that off there are a ton of white,asian,and latino kids all acting black (hip hop) these days because it's en vogue. Radio stations celebrate crack dealers and they win grammy's these days. The system has failed and corporatism has taken over one of the biggest forms of expression kids have... music.

Social media spreads the virus and puts it right in your back yard even if you're across the country.

I don't have the answers but the whole public schooling system needs to be reworked and parents need to be held accountable. Make them show up to PTA meetings if they fail to do so expel the students for a brief period.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This might sound stupid, but I think density and environmental chaos/din contributes to a constant level of subconscious stress, and stress makes people more reactive.
This doesn't sound stupid to me. You put a bunch of chaos into a dense area, it gets bad. Not to excuse those girls for what they did, but I think about this. Those girls likely come from environments where violence IS the answer to every problem. The fact that those girls saw it fit to assault a teacher is the tip of the iceberg. I bet that those girls do alot more fighting outside of the classroom. I am willing to be that they'll even fight with males. The environment that is the ghetto breeds and encourages violence. There is a reason Mississippi, as poor as it is, has a much lower Black homicide rate vs Wisconsin, which has one of the highest Black homicide rates in the country (as well as one of the poorest Black populations in the USA). Alot of rural Blacks in Mississippi vs 7 out of 10 Black Wisconsinites living in the city of Milwaukee (and over the worst parts of Milwaukee).

Old 09-08-2019, 02:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,479,550 times
When kids are disruptive in the classroom in my county, they're removed from the school and placed in a special school. I live in a district where the schools are highly ranked. No way are the schools going to risk their standing with idiots who don't know how to behave.

I remember hearing from my kids that a couple of students who wouldn't stop disrupting the classes were kicked out of school and had to go to a school for the problem kids.

This is from their website:

Teaching Appropriate Behaviors (TAB)

A program designed to meet the needs of students’ grades 1 through 12 whose behavioral or emotional needs are to such a marked degree that they adversely affect their educational performance and/or the learning of others. The program is intended to teach appropriate behaviors, teach new academic skills, and reduce inappropriate behavior. Related services (speech/language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, social work, etc.) are provided according to each student’s individual needs. This program focuses on skills presented through a modified curriculum based on Illinois Learning Standards. The program provides a variety of academic and social experiences designed to promote positive interaction skills with both peers and adults. These classrooms are located in public school buildings with integration into the general education program as appropriate.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM

1,485 posts, read 947,847 times
I remember way back in kindergarden right before first grade. I went to a private school. There was a kid named Ian. Ian was very volatile. One day he grabbed our teacher by the hair and started beating her in the face with his fists in front of the entire class. Two maintenance guys passing by caught site of this, came into the room and tried separating Ian and the teacher. He was screaming like someone was trying to murder him and wouldn't let go of her hair and she was screaming.
Finally the principal, asst. Principal and 2 more teachers were successful in separating Ian and the teacher.
Not even first grade yet! And it took six adults to pull this kid off the teacher and contain him!
I'll never forget that. Amazingly, they let him attend this private school into first grade. I don't remember seeing Ian after first grade.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM

76,946 posts, read 47,265,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Publik Skool teachurz and there relatives are encouraged to chime in regarding similar experiences and stories.
(I do believe that my SpeL Cheker is Brokin)

Two urban high-school girls perform extended in-class beating of their teacher.

No word on the condition of the teacher, the current legal disposition of the perps, or even in what part of the country this happened.

Many states like California under Obama undertook the position that certain ethnicities more frequently were expelled. They therefore undertook new legal measures assuring that perps of this type cannot be expelled for similar actions.
Obama's fault...sure .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies