Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I support any all barriers physical and otherwise to keep the bad away from the good and the incompatible away from the compatible.
Even if it's unconstitutional?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I saw this video about the violence that goes on in Shelby County,TN schools. By the way, Shelby County is where Memphis is located. Teachers are quitting because of the crap that goes on. And I thought about this. There are many Black people (teachers especially) who don't like the violence going on in the schools, who do not like that violent students aren't being held accountable. In this video clip, one parent is talking about moving her kid out of the school district. Plenty of Black people are sick of it, and find that there is no accountability. Many parents who have the resources leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg_44_cIjEM
I have to believe the majority of kids in those schools never behave like the handful do. It's grossly unfair to the students who know how to behave to have their classes disrupted by a minority of losers, but teachers / administrators sit on their hands.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Even if it's unconstitutional?
It's not unconstitutional to have freedom of association and decide who is good to associate with and who is not. It's a misinterpretation and unconstitutional to not allow that.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have to believe the majority of kids in those schools never behave like the handful do. It's grossly unfair to the students who know how to behave to have their classes disrupted by a minority of losers, but teachers / administrators sit on their hands.
There are likely more decent kids in those schools that bad kids. Just the same, it is as if the schools don't do anything about the troublemakers. The schools are being left to the dogs. And the kids that want to learn suffer the most, because they're basically stuck with it. And I'm willing to bet some of those troublemakers are committing crimes outside of school. And the teachers who want something done about it are finding little gets done. Many are just quitting.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
There are likely more decent kids in those schools that bad kids. Just the same, it is as if the schools don't do anything about the troublemakers. The schools are being left to the dogs. And the kids that want to learn suffer the most, because they're basically stuck with it. And I'm willing to bet some of those troublemakers are committing crimes outside of school. And the teachers who want something done about it are finding little gets done. Many are just quitting.
The problem is that culture don't seem to police their own and hold them accountable. Only they can fix their own.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
This is the thing. Abortion isn't going to stop more violent crime from occurring. Black women are more likely to get abortions than any other demographic. And yet, a majority of murderers and murder victims are Blacks, particularly males.

Here is something I would be in favor of. If you're too irresponsible to raise a child, you much automatically revoke parenting rights and the child gets put up for adoption. If you can't name the father of the child, if you are shown to be unfit to be a parent, all parental rights are revoked. Most of those kids would have been better off being given away to families who can actually raise children. Many people want kids but can't produce kids.
Yeah, I'm not talking race here at all. I have a family close to mine that adopted kids from a very *bad* family. However, you start ratcheting up the take-aways and you...me...and everybody around knows that disparate impact will rear it's head quickly and Sharpton will come knocking. (For a payday if you ask me)

Old 09-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I'm not talking race here at all. I have a family close to mine that adopted kids from a very *bad* family. However, you start ratcheting up the take-aways and you...me...and everybody around knows that disparate impact will rear it's head quickly and Sharpton will come knocking. (For a payday if you ask me)
I was just trying to prove a point. Abortion isn't guarateed to work. Alot of kids would be better off being put up for adoption. Violent kids come from poor/violent parenting. Alot of those kids would have been better off raised by a better family.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I was just trying to prove a point. Abortion isn't guarateed to work. Alot of kids would be better off being put up for adoption. Violent kids come from poor/violent parenting. Alot of those kids would have been better off raised by a better family.
That's just spreading the dysfunction around and imposing it on others. Violent kids come from poor and violent parents which comes from inherited traits. Not everything is external and there is a first cause. I'm not too supportive of abortion, but you got stop the poor breeding and be more selective.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:03 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
I worked in the Compton Ca schools the three years before the LA Rodney King Riots of 1992. In the high schools the school police patrolled in 4 man squads, if anything broke out a lone cop stood a big chance of being taken down and his gun getting in enemy hands The only thing new now is that the student has a movie camera to record the incident. And the kids have been raised on UFC fighting and are more dangerous than ever before in hand to hand fighting.

As a kid every now and then Blackboard Jungle from 1955 would rotate to TV on our independent station's movie block. On Room 222 in the early 70s the lead teacher Mr Dixon had to break out his Marine skills to put down a student in one episode. By the late 70s on The White Shadow TV show Coach Reeves had to stop the rape of the assistant Principal. I am just saying violence against teachers is not something that is new

Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Most teens don't WANT to be in school. Heck, I was a good student and got good grades in AP classes, and I didn't want to be there. I would have preferred they give me my assignment and a book to study, and let me go home. But part of school, aside from learning subjects, is to learn patience, respect, discipline, how to do something you don't really feel like doing, learning to interact with all types of people, learning to have good socialization skills, learning how to debate your point of view, etc.
Most of the teens, given the choice would prefer not to be there from 8-3 or whatever hours they attend.
I was an honor roll student and definitely didn't want to be there. I was beat just about every day and the days I wasn't I had to be on guard to avoid being jumped. I was often jumped anyway, of course. I lived in terror at home and at school too. At least at home I got a breather when people were away and I was left home alone. At school there was no escape. By the time I was 16, I wanted to drop out of school. The school staff lied to me and told me if I dropped out of school that I'd never be able to get a job. "No one will hire a drop out" they said. All I needed to do in life was 'go to school and make good grades and you can get a job anywhere.' I went to school, made good grades, and couldn't get a job anywhere. They lied to my face so that I could stay put and be hurt even more.

I am in my 40s and been sick all of my life. I have little to no social skills from going to school. When would I have learned those? My skills were trying to be invisible and trying to stay away from everyone. Since I still got beat up, those skills weren't very good, were they? I have had no friends. I have PTSD since I was a child. I have trouble trusting anyone. I would have been better off had I never gone to school. I have never had the opportunity to be gainfully employed at any time in my life. I fill out the applications and they never want me.

I was always blamed for the abuse I was forced to endure. Teachers/staff told me things like "You bring it on yourself" "You can stop it any time you want to" "You know what you're doing". I would walk down the hall to my next class and one of them would walk up to me and punch me, for example, and the teachers/staff would insist I caused it to happen. I'd be sitting at my desk and someone would walk by and hit me and I'd be blamed for that too. I never did a single thing to any of them, but I somehow deserved to be terrorized daily.

I don't have much compassion for these teachers. I find myself reflecting on all the teachers that did nothing when I'd be attacked sometimes right in front of them while they did nothing. I wonder how many of these teachers stood by while someone like me was harmed and did nothing. It's kind of a karma.

If I'd dropped out of high school my life would have been better. I could've got my GED later, but I would've avoided a lot of problems had I not been forced to go to public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies