U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 PM

1,954 posts, read 650,214 times

Advertisements

No child can consent to be born. Are there good and bad kinds of births?

It's widely accepted parents act in place of the child until an age of maturity, but this question is a bit different since the child's immature state wouldn't have existed had the parents not created the child.

Many servile human relationships involve "consenting adults" who are in desperate situations. Those "consenting adults" were at one time "non-consenting children". Do parents bear some blame for this?

How can one minimize coercion and also be a parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:18 PM

25,928 posts, read 10,001,595 times
I honestly have no idea what many of these points are in reference to or about.

I can link you some peaceful parenting guides popular in the anarchy movement if you'd like. Maybe that would help.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I honestly have no idea what many of these points are in reference to or about.

I can link you some peaceful parenting guides popular in the anarchy movement if you'd like. Maybe that would help.
It's a straightforward question which I hope you would have thought about, since your worldview is shaped by the concept of consent.

No child consents to be born.

Is childbirth a violation of consent?

Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
No child can consent to be born. Are there good and bad kinds of births?

It's widely accepted parents act in place of the child until an age of maturity, but this question is a bit different since the child's immature state wouldn't have existed had the parents not created the child.

Many servile human relationships involve "consenting adults" who are in desperate situations. Those "consenting adults" were at one time "non-consenting children". Do parents bear some blame for this?

How can one minimize coercion and also be a parent?

If you have one or more direct questions, then ask them in such a fashion. Nobody else here (other than you) is capable of accurately intuiting the operation of your mind.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If you have one or more direct questions, then ask them in such a fashion. Nobody else here (other than you) is capable of accurately intuiting the operation of your mind.
I think you're ducking the questions.

Here is a direct question: is childbirth a violation of the child's consent?

Old 09-07-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
It's a straightforward question which I hope you would have thought about, since your worldview is shaped by the concept of consent.

No child consents to be born.

Is childbirth a violation of consent?
No.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,089,349 times
Quote:
I think you're ducking the questions.
Now you're presuming to intuit the operation of [my] mind. That's some feat.

Quote:
Here is a direct question: is childbirth a violation of the child's consent
No.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.
Why not? The fetus cannot give consent, and yet the parents' decision sets in motion all the events of the child's life. It's a momentous decision for the child, to say the least. And the child has no say in it.

Can you expand on your opinion?

Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
No.
Can you expand on that?

I honestly thought there would be some well-known libertarian argument regarding this, but all I'm getting here is crickets.

Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Can you expand on that?

I honestly thought there would be some well-known libertarian argument regarding this, but all I'm getting here is crickets.
Rothbard wrote about it at great length.

Quote:
Murray Rothbard wrote that "no being has a right to live, unbidden, as a parasite within or upon some person's body" and that therefore the woman is entitled to eject the fetus from her body at any time. However, explaining the right of the woman to "eject the fetus from her body", Rothbard also wrote that "every baby as soon as it is born and is therefore no longer contained within his mother's body possesses the right of self-ownership by virtue of being a separate entity and a potential adult. It must therefore be illegal and a violation of the child's rights for a parent to aggress against his person by mutilating, torturing, murdering him, etc."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libe...es_on_abortion

Individuals have rights. The mother (host) was there before the child (parasite).

If all conceptions were voluntary or hell, even known (we still have women looking down in the toilet after what was thought to be bad Mexican food only to discover they just expelled a child which they didn't know they were carrying) you could have some material for a debate.

As a cultural conservative I know this is going to probably cause you to flip your lid but that's it.

Interestingly enough, when that cord is cut (after a successful birthing) the child gains its natural rights and keeps them according to us anarchists.

When that cord is cut (after a successful birthing) the child simultaneously gains then loses its natural rights to the State which then re-bestows them back to the child as it sees fit...according to the statists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies