U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:15 AM

37,860 posts, read 16,745,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Make a deal with those that want to enter the country be part of a work program? Or make a deal with Mexico and have them fabricated there?

Makes sense to have more man power in the mountains where the walls are really needed. The flat ground (window dressing) walls that Obama approved are cute but that's not where illegals are really crossing.
Any jobs for wall building should go to Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:21 AM

37,860 posts, read 16,745,134 times
Quote:
Racist much? I don't blame illegals for trying to get back to the land we took for a better life. I blame our career politicians for enabling the behavior. Illegals are a symptom not the problem.
We didn't "take" any of of their lands they were bought and paid for to the tune of $15 million and forgave Mexico many debts. Land is just dirt why can't they make a better life for themselves on Mexico's dirt? Dirt itself does not provide a better life for anyone. I do agree however that they have been encouraged by our idiotic congress critters by lax enforcement of our immigration laws, not pulling out all the stops for security at the border to deter illegal entry, not implementing e-verify and a PC policy only of deeming their offspring born on our soil as birthright citizens.

Old Today, 07:50 AM

47,156 posts, read 34,602,552 times
According to this, there are more visa overstayers than illegal border crossers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46824649

Visitors/ tourists are free to travel throughout the US.

Not uncommon for those with tourist visas to be illegally employed. They return home before the expiration of their visa, rinse and repeat.

Itís skilled Eastern Europeans in my neck of the woods.

Old Today, 07:54 AM

47,156 posts, read 34,602,552 times
No one knows how much the wall will cost to build, let alone maintain.

No one knows the projected useful life of the wall.

https://www.cato.org/blog/cost-borde...ming-less-wall

No wall is high enough. No patrol deep enough so long as US people and business continue to hire undocumented people with little consequence.

US employers ( mostly small businesses) and people recruit and employ undocumented people.

Only a handful of states made eVerify mandatory. These state laws contain intended loopholes.

The US has been importing foreign labor for agriculture for more than 100 years.
There is no cap on H2A visas for agriculture workers. Nonetheless, farms seek and employ undocumented because they work longer and harder for less.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; Today at 08:04 AM..

Old Today, 08:03 AM

521 posts, read 472,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Why would you want the wall built with unskilled labor?

Texas used to have prison farms where the inmates raised their own food. IIRC, the courts ruled against slavery.

Now they are paid. The state used prison labor to send out the renewal notices for auto licenses. But they have to pay.
That's a shame. They must have sold out to the food corp supplying them.

There are prisons in California that make furniture for Office Max so all is not lost ha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Being forced to bust your butt in 110 degree heat building a wall, with just tortillas and beans, now I think we fixed our problem in a stroke of a pen.

How is that racist?

I do agree that our career politicians are enabling the behavior but which party is blocking any attempt to stem the illegal flow from South of the Border? It wasn't that long ago that the Dems were calling for a stronger border and Obama himself told us that illegal immigration was a big problem for America?

What has changed?

I think if Trump was Pro open border the Dems would be fighting hard to build that wall...

I think it is a stretch to say the illegals are trying to get back the land that we took from them. You must be for reparations to the descendants of slaves too.

Illegals are a symptom of the decline of America similar to the Fall of the Roman Empire.
Uh tortilla's and beans?

The immigration issue only gets addressed during campaign times, on both sides. It's too big to tackle and govt is smart enough to know that the huge amount of migrant works propping up big agriculture can't be pulled. This country has always been built on cheap labor since day 1, if not outsourced.

As for saying illegals are fighting to get back to the land they once owned well that is a popular theme amongst illegal Mexicans. They're quite aware of the hypocrisy and exploitation of workers. Millions get payroll checks and the govt keeps their taxes in a nice little kitty. And listen I'm not saying it's my own view but all things aside I would jump the fence for more opportunity as well if I made 10-20x the hourly wage.

As for reparations I believe African Americans have a far better atmosphere to thrive in than anywhere in Africa.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Any jobs for wall building should go to Americans.

Ya but what about cheap prison or illegal immigrant labor? You want to pay more in taxes to build?

Old Today, 08:11 AM

20,638 posts, read 12,358,120 times
Slavery trying to pop his head -again

Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We didn't "take" any of of their lands they were bought and paid for to the tune of $15 million and forgave Mexico many debts. Land is just dirt why can't they make a better life for themselves on Mexico's dirt? Dirt itself does not provide a better life for anyone. I do agree however that they have been encouraged by our idiotic congress critters by lax enforcement of our immigration laws, not pulling out all the stops for security at the border to deter illegal entry, not implementing e-verify and a PC policy only of deeming their offspring born on our soil as birthright citizens.

Many haven't forgot the Mexican American War and Mexicans didn't get the right to vote to sell their land. Their words not mine.

As for land being just dirt well ours seems a bit more developed and opportunistic no? If our govt is going to knowingly exploit Mexican workers on both sides of the border (nafta) why would they have a conscience about crossing?

Old Today, 10:53 AM

14,887 posts, read 7,906,200 times
Quote:
Many haven't forgot the Mexican American War and Mexicans didn't get the right to vote to sell their land. Their words not mine.
That's what happens when you lose a war. We shouldn't give a damn what Mexico likes.

Old Today, 10:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 216,274 times
The left screams bloody murder if the migrant detainees dont 't get three square meals a day.

What makes you think it's going to be OK when they have to bust their ass building the wall in scorching desert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or