U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

37,869 posts, read 16,750,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
That's a shame. They must have sold out to the food corp supplying them.

There are prisons in California that make furniture for Office Max so all is not lost ha..

Uh tortilla's and beans?

The immigration issue only gets addressed during campaign times, on both sides. It's too big to tackle and govt is smart enough to know that the huge amount of migrant works propping up big agriculture can't be pulled. This country has always been built on cheap labor since day 1, if not outsourced.

As for saying illegals are fighting to get back to the land they once owned well that is a popular theme amongst illegal Mexicans. They're quite aware of the hypocrisy and exploitation of workers. Millions get payroll checks and the govt keeps their taxes in a nice little kitty. And listen I'm not saying it's my own view but all things aside I would jump the fence for more opportunity as well if I made 10-20x the hourly wage.

As for reparations I believe African Americans have a far better atmosphere to thrive in than anywhere in Africa.
Trump has been addressing illegal immigration ever since he got elected. Illegal aliens aren't propping up the Ag industry as only 2-4% of illegals are working in that industry and there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers.

Consider any taxes that illegals pay into the system as payback for the over $100 billion a year that they cost us. Sorry, to hear that you would break the law for your own gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Ya but what about cheap prison or illegal immigrant labor? You want to pay more in taxes to build?
Yes, if it means employing Americans. They've already lost their constructions jobs to illegal aliens. Most prisoners are Americans also so I don't have an issue with that except how skilled would they be to build it correctly?

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

961 posts, read 292,175 times
im guessing modern builders use equipment that takes a skill to use and that leaves some manual labor but not as much as one might think...also a myriad of regulations

Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

3,414 posts, read 3,031,273 times
Quote:
Make a deal with those that want to enter the country be part of a work program? Or make a deal with Mexico and have them fabricated there?

Makes sense to have more man power in the mountains where the walls are really needed. The flat ground (window dressing) walls that Obama approved are cute but that's not where illegals are really crossing.
While I applaud your thinking on this subject. I for one think this would be an excellent idea. The problem is, in some ways inmates have more legal protection at their disposal than most law-abiding citizens in this country. And the minute anyone makes a move to put inmates to work building a border wall, every attorney from Florida to Alaska who represents an inmate will be screaming "cruel and unusual punishment" or "slave labor". Forget the fact that most of the people we are talking about actually owe a debt to society, which is why they are in prison in the first place. The second we try to actually put these people to good use, someone is there to do their best to stop it. It's just how things are nowadays. And I can only imagine the insanity if our current president actually suggested such measures. The left would absolutely lose their minds.

Oh, and as for using more illegals to build the wall, I'd have to vote no. No reason for that to happen when we have several million inmates perfectly capable to doing the work.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Many haven't forgot the Mexican American War and Mexicans didn't get the right to vote to sell their land. Their words not mine.

As for land being just dirt well ours seems a bit more developed and opportunistic no? If our govt is going to knowingly exploit Mexican workers on both sides of the border (nafta) why would they have a conscience about crossing?
Don't care what Mexicans that weren't even alive back then think. Those who were alive back then were offered to stay on our side of the border and become Americans or to remain in Mexico and be Mexicans.

Our government has no right to exploit cheap, illegal workers they are supposed to uphold our immigration laws so they owe us law abiding Americans not foreigners here illegally. We still have immigration laws and there is no justification for illegals to violate them for any reason.

We didn't get to vote for the wall and securing our border either. NAFTA also negatively impacted the American worker

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

542 posts, read 478,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Trump has been addressing illegal immigration ever since he got elected. Illegal aliens aren't propping up the Ag industry as only 2-4% of illegals are working in that industry and there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers.

Consider any taxes that illegals pay into the system as payback for the over $100 billion a year that they cost us. Sorry, to hear that you would break the law for your own gain.
Believe me I know he's been spewing the build the wall bs forever. He even takes pics of the walls Obama approved and claims them as his own lol.

If you believe only 2-4% of illegals are working in the AG industry you haven't taken trains through northern and central California.

And yes I'd hop the border like Carl Lewis if I had mouths to feed and was trying to escape cartel crime and exploitation.

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

542 posts, read 478,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Don't care what Mexicans that weren't even alive back then think. Those who were alive back then were offered to stay on our side of the border and become Americans or to remain in Mexico and be Mexicans.

Our government has no right to exploit cheap, illegal workers they are supposed to uphold our immigration laws so they owe us law abiding Americans not foreigners here illegally. We still have immigration laws and there is no justification for illegals to violate them for any reason.
We can agree on one thing. We both don't care.

Our govt has no right to exploit cheap labor? You must not be an econ major.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Believe me I know he's been spewing the build the wall bs forever. He even takes pics of the walls Obama approved and claims them as his own lol.

If you believe only 2-4% of illegals are working in the AG industry you haven't taken trains through northern and central California.

And yes I'd hop the border like Carl Lewis if I had mouths to feed and was trying to escape cartel crime and exploitation.
No, Trump has never claimed that the walls built under Obama are walls that he built. Where are you getting that? He has reinforced some of those walls, however. Stop spinning the truth! The Democrats have bucked him all the way on the wall and Trump has been fighting throughout his presidency to get them built. He's even been awarded at his request monies from the Defense building fund to get it done.

So how do you know just by passing by those places in northern Calif. if they are illegal workers or not? Do they wear a t-shirt that says "illegal"? I can provide stats that state that only 2-4% of illegals are picking crops if you need them. It's also true that there are unlimited visas for legal workers.

So again, you'd break laws and take from other's families just to feed your own? Nice set of morals there. These people aren't starving anyway. rolleyes: They have no right to violate our immigration laws due to crime either. It's not even a valid asylum claim. There are many safe places in Mexico and these Central Americans were offered asylum there along with work permits of which most turned down. They want to come here for the freebies and yes they can make more money here but tough cookies that doesn't excuse them for violating our immigration laws and taking those jobs from Americans by working for less.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Quote:
We can agree on one thing. We both don't care.

Our govt has no right to exploit cheap labor? You must not be an econ major.
I do care! I care that our immigration laws are respected and enforced. What? Our government has no "legal" right to exploit cheap, illegal labor. You must not be an econ major either as illegal aliens cost us much more than they provide in taxes or anything else.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

5,086 posts, read 3,496,622 times
The majority of persons incarcerated in the United States are in State prison systems throughout the country. Most states have some form of an inmate work program that benefits the individual states. Does Trump have the power at the Federal level to arbitrarily conscript state inmates for Federal work projects? Legal questions arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or