U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

37,892 posts, read 16,755,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
What makes you think I read your post to begin with?

I did mention ending birthright citizenship.

A wall is like a lock on the door; it only keeps honest people out.

Without fixing employment verification where it is impossible to get a job if you are illegal nothing will change with a wall. Tunnel under it, go over the top or hop a boat and go around.
The good walls in place already have proven to be very effective in deterring illegal entry. If you don't agree with the facts then prove otherwise. I'll wait. No one is saying they are 100% effective but 80% isn't good enough? The steel bollard walls have not been tunneled under successfully and the last person who tried to climb over one broke both legs trying. Ever heard of tunnel sensors? Locks on doors only keep honest people out? Huh????

I'm all for e-verify but not all illegals are coming here to work. Certainly criminals and terrorists aren't coming here to work, thus the wall. We'd also need to eliminate birthright citizenship for their kids or they'd keep coming here for that also, thus the wall. We also guard our waterways and airspace. How can you remain in denial of the facts and the sentiments of the Border Patrol and Homeland Security that say we need those good physical barriers where they are feasible and have been very effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:57 AM

14,622 posts, read 8,074,067 times
"Mexican's in the world's most violent city are taking barbed wire right off the border wall to protect their own homes." Business Insider.
Someone has a nice side business at our expense. The article goes on to talk about "lucrative smuggling routes across the border. Walls mean nothing to these people. Why waste good money on something that's going to be circumvented? Stop the incentive for them to come and they won't come. There's no need to give vast portions of the Rio Grande to Mexico or steal peoples land. Border towns have a different system with people from both sides crossing every day. Leave them alone!

Old Today, 08:40 AM

12,746 posts, read 3,445,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No one knows how much the wall will cost to build, let alone maintain.

No one knows the projected useful life of the wall.

https://www.cato.org/blog/cost-borde...ming-less-wall

No wall is high enough. No patrol deep enough so long as US people and business continue to hire undocumented people with little consequence.

US employers ( mostly small businesses) and people recruit and employ undocumented people.

Only a handful of states made eVerify mandatory. These state laws contain intended loopholes.

The US has been importing foreign labor for agriculture for more than 100 years.
There is no cap on H2A visas for agriculture workers. Nonetheless, farms seek and employ undocumented because they work longer and harder for less.
I was patronizing a business in the San Joaquin Valley in California about a month after Trump declared for President.

A fellow patron was wearing a t-shirt with two sentences printed on it.

The message (I may be remembering a word or two incorrectly).....

'Go ahead and build a wall. We'll build a tunnel.'

The guy wearing the t-shirt was not a non-hispanic white guy.

Old Today, 03:37 PM

204 posts, read 18,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I was patronizing a business in the San Joaquin Valley in California about a month after Trump declared for President.

A fellow patron was wearing a t-shirt with two sentences printed on it.

The message (I may be remembering a word or two incorrectly).....

'Go ahead and build a wall. We'll build a tunnel.'

The guy wearing the t-shirt was not a non-hispanic white guy.
Yeah, I've heard that one....problem is these new walls have underground sensors and all that modern stuff, it's supposed to be much harder to do anything like that...

Another popular theme with the anti-wall crowd was "go ahead and build a 30 ft wall, I'll just get a 31 ft ladder" Dumb. You need at least a 40 ft ladder to get the proper angle, 40 ft ladders are heavy, and expensive. And how many people are really going to climb 3 stories? Maybe a few teenagers, but no older folks, no little kids.

A 30 ft wall will do wonders......

Old Today, 04:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yeah, I've heard that one....problem is these new walls have underground sensors and all that modern stuff, it's supposed to be much harder to do anything like that...

Another popular theme with the anti-wall crowd was "go ahead and build a 30 ft wall, I'll just get a 31 ft ladder" Dumb. You need at least a 40 ft ladder to get the proper angle, 40 ft ladders are heavy, and expensive. And how many people are really going to climb 3 stories? Maybe a few teenagers, but no older folks, no little kids.

A 30 ft wall will do wonders......
Cheaper to buy a $75 torch.

People got across the Iron Curtain walls, which included land mines and armed towers. The wall is silly. The money would be much better spent developing national economies in the countries that economic migrants are coming from, and then accepting the real refugees that are trying to escape the gangs.

The bonus would be, more economic growth, fewer gangs, and with fewer gangs, fewer refugees.

Old Today, 04:11 PM

12,089 posts, read 3,005,808 times
I've always supported the idea of using cheap prison labor. Bring back chain gangs

Old Today, 04:24 PM

7,228 posts, read 4,014,601 times
Wouldn’t they just bounce across the border to freedom?
How about pay the Mexicans to do it... they’re hard workers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or