U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

521 posts, read 478,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Many people who are obsessed with firearms have a massive fear and distrust of people that are not like themselves. I don't see danger lurking around every corner. Live and enjoy life, don't worry, you don't need a gun to get along with most of your fellow humans.

And that's just it...

I also think so many feel like owning a gun is their way of being anti establishment and a way of flipping off the govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

16,742 posts, read 4,401,221 times
I think the current number is 70-80% of Americans who choose not to personally own, train or use guns.
"The actual percentage of U.S. individual gun owners is roughly 25 percent"

I, of course, support the right of those who choose to live in dangerous places to have them. Having had relatives who were pharmacists and also a friend who was somewhat forced (by marriage) to actually benefit from a handgun, it became clear that they can serve - in certain situations - as a deterrent.

But I believe in voting with my feet. We always lived where our doors can remain open and unlocked. I do understand that everyone doesn't have that choice and in a perfect world the crime rate would go down in those places (it has, actually)...and, someday, hopefully less than lethal weapons will be perfected and proven.

American is a violent place compared to some advanced economies. We cannot deny that.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

161 posts, read 12,486 times
Originally Posted by recycled
Many people who are obsessed with firearms have a massive fear and distrust of people that are not like themselves.
Originally Posted by NorCal77
I also think so many feel like owning a gun is their way of being anti establishment and a way of flipping off the govt.

Nice opinions.....any statistics?

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

13 posts, read 886 times
Because I'm a doofus who would end up accidentally shooting myself or someone else.

I also can have a very bad temper at times. I'd like to think I'd have enough self-control to NOT pull a gun on someone if I ever flew into a blind rage. But that's not a chance I want to take.

And I don't need a gun for hunting because I'm a vegan.

However, if law-abiding, mentally stable citizens want to own guns for self protection, hunting, recreation, or whatever, that's fine by me.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

521 posts, read 478,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Originally Posted by recycled
Many people who are obsessed with firearms have a massive fear and distrust of people that are not like themselves.
Originally Posted by NorCal77

Nice opinions.....any statistics?

I've hunted long enough and been to enough gun shows lol

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

12,174 posts, read 16,942,042 times
Because I train in martial arts for self defense.

Because I'm not going to train weekly to keep my skills sharp in order to be effective with a firearm in the heated situation of an emergency. I, like most people, would be a greater risk to myself and others trying to use a gun for protection in a crowded scenario, i.e. a mass shooter.

Because I'm not wealthy enough to waste money on something that will at best be a pricey hobby and at worst will be a dangerous paperweight.

Because I have a young niece and nephew, as well as the children of friends, who visit my home.

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

56,097 posts, read 75,163,925 times
Anger issues I spent most of my life with both feet on the brakes
Iím getting old and weak donít know how much longer I can stand on this brake pedal
It doesnít seem to matter how bad their behavior is
Itís all about me

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

67,458 posts, read 34,397,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Oh you didn't put 'allow' in your question -- you now are adding conditions to your question;

And yes --- because you don't want something is why you shouldn't have it.

I shouldn't have a tractor because I don't want a tractor. I don't want a tractor because I have no use for a tractor. I have every right to own a tractor or privilege but I just don't want one so I shouldn't have one.
Your choice v. someone else making the choice for you, as if you are their property.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

6,753 posts, read 2,241,801 times
I probably wouldn't be able to use it if I pulled it out anyway so I'd probably just escalate the situation and be more likely to get myself killed.

There is a thread right now on Dave Chappelle. Jim Jeffries has a great skit on gun control if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

18,656 posts, read 8,461,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What reasonable and rational inquiry and investigation, determines why you personally should not have a gun?

Can you think of any reasons, why you personally should not own a firearm?
I don't want one. Is that a good enough reason?

It's not a flip answer. There have been laws proposed in state legislatures and in city councils that all heads of household be required to own at least one gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or