U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

6,680 posts, read 3,695,542 times

Advertisements

Why should I NOT have a gun? Because I do not want one. Not a good enough reason ya? Give you another. When my husband used to take me shooting at bottle and paper targets, I would shake and close my eyes when pulling the trigger. Good enough reason to NOT have a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

21,930 posts, read 14,688,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What reasonable and rational inquiry and investigation, determines why you personally should not have a gun?

Can you think of any reasons, why you personally should not own a firearm?
Okay, Bent. Since it's your topic, you go first.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 7,991,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. Bringing a gun into my house increases the likelihood of somebody being shot by the gun. If I don't have the gun, those chances decrease.

It is, in reality, a very slim likelihood.
I am 77 years old. I have owned one or more guns of various calibers/styles since I was 12. Nobody has ever been shot in my house.
However, I was shot in the leg once, long ago, halfway up a mountain side in NW Montana, by an untrained (my fault, for not properly conducting training) city cousin using an antique single shot .22 pistol of mine. It put me on crutches for a while, and we both learned from it. That incident did not stop me from buying and owning guns.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

77 posts, read 21,717 times
Quote:
What reasonable and rational inquiry and investigation, determines why you personally should not have a gun?

I am a pacifist by religion!

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

5,464 posts, read 1,509,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. Bringing a gun into my house increases the likelihood of somebody being shot by the gun. If I don't have the gun, those chances decrease.
Out of respect for you, does your neighbor have a sign like this on their lawn?

Have you asked them to put one up? And even paid for it for them? By your logic, it would decrease the likelihood even more, of someone being shot, wouldn't it?

So why not?
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us why YOU personally, should NOT have a gun-neighbor-not-armed00.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

7,766 posts, read 2,770,245 times
Quote:

Waste of money.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

5,848 posts, read 4,840,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Because I have nothing to prove against an attacker who has already decided to attack me.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,211,289 times
There is a distance between outlawing guns and outlawing certain guns, or certain clip sizes. It doesn't entirely seem reasonable to outlaw guns but it certainly seems reasonable to outlaw the gun that has been used almost ubiquitously in mass shootings, the AR-15 type assault rifle. So I like most liberal American say, keep your guns, especially the collector's items, the home security guns and the hunting rifles/shotguns. But stop with the "what if I need to shoot a zillion people someday, shouldn't I have the right to a clip with zillion bullets" act. So just out of curiosity, why don't you first tell my why you're pretending that progressives advocating gun reform are trying to take everyone's guns when they're not. It would be great to hear an answer to that. Also, can you tell me why you think it's ok to have an AR-15, knowing how much death has been perpetrated with just that one kind of gun? How can you get any pleasure out of it at all?

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,835,555 times
Quote:
This thread is not about "need" or "want"
Is there a rational reason you personally SHOULD NOT have a firearm.
Is there a defect in your character, that you personally feel you should not have at least one form of firearm?
Lack of self control? Mental issues?
Why should you have your endowed right taken, as if it is privilege of government.
Why shouldn't you be allowed to have a firearm?
Personally I support the ability of responsible people to have guns. However, for me personally, in my own home, I am not comfortable having them. That is my choice, but I support the right of others to have them.

Do you honestly believe that you might persuade those who favor strict gun control to move closer to your point of view by asserting that people who don't want guns in their homes are somehow defective? Isn't the whole point that it is a person's individual choice based on his or her situation?

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

163 posts, read 15,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
why don't you first tell my why you're pretending that progressives advocating gun reform are trying to take everyone's guns when they're not.
They certainly are attempting to take away all rifles that carry a magazine (not clip!) Look at CA and NY for starters. Then get back to us....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Also, can you tell me why you think it's ok to have an AR-15, knowing how much death has been perpetrated with just that one kind of gun? How can you get any pleasure out of it at all?
Just because a certain object has been used for evil purposes doesn't mean some people wouldn't want one if it fit their needs. Because a terrorist uses a Home Depot rental van to run through a crown and murder people doesn't mean I won't go down and rent one the next weekend...

Are you even serious jerbear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or