U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
 
163 posts, read 15,325 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Personally I support the ability of responsible people to have guns. However, for me personally, in my own home, I am not comfortable having them. That is my choice, but I support the right of others to have them.

Do you honestly believe that you might persuade those who favor strict gun control to move closer to your point of view by asserting that people who don't want guns in their homes are somehow defective? Isn't the whole point that it is a person's individual choice based on his or her situation?
This is a good rational post, regardless of where you stand......thanks for being reasonable CrowGirl....finally a somewhat reasonable liberal...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
 
Location: San Diego
35,957 posts, read 32,677,803 times
Reputation: 20309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
There is a distance between outlawing guns and outlawing certain guns, or certain clip sizes. It doesn't entirely seem reasonable to outlaw guns but it certainly seems reasonable to outlaw the gun that has been used almost ubiquitously in mass shootings, the AR-15 type assault rifle. So I like most liberal American say, keep your guns, especially the collector's items, the home security guns and the hunting rifles/shotguns. But stop with the "what if I need to shoot a zillion people someday, shouldn't I have the right to a clip with zillion bullets" act. So just out of curiosity, why don't you first tell my why you're pretending that progressives advocating gun reform are trying to take everyone's guns when they're not. It would be great to hear an answer to that. Also, can you tell me why you think it's ok to have an AR-15, knowing how much death has been perpetrated with just that one kind of gun? How can you get any pleasure out of it at all?
Wow, a response dripping with emotion and zero facts. Shocking. You know almost nothing about firearms do you. Do you get pleasure out of posting this garbage? Because it is that. Crap, logic removed from anything. My old deer gun from the 50s is twice or three times the gun of an AR in 5.56.


Clip, zillions.... get off CNN bro. Your brain is going to bleach out. Do you really think firearms are shooting themselves? Do you blame the Ford when some drunk kills your buddy in the back seat? I'm at a loss for words the lack of logic here.

Keep attending those meetings, beat that drum and feel better about your position. WOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,768 posts, read 837,143 times
Reputation: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I need one to protect myself from people like you. If we can get the guns away from crazy right wingers, then maybe I could do without. I would have to think about that. I don't need an AR, though.
Last time I checked most gun incidents happened in liberal cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:40 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,286 posts, read 2,638,977 times
Reputation: 4944
Personally I will never tell anyone that they need to own a gun. That is a personal decision. I won't tell anyone what kind of car that they should own either. Let's face the facts though. It isn't gun owners who are trying to dictate needs either.

My advice is that if you are afraid of or don't trust guns being in your home then maybe you shouldn't have a gun in your home. I will also say this. If you own a gun then you must practice with it whenever possible until you are as familiar with it as you are your own hand. It is simply too dangerous to have it, just to let it lay around in a drawer someplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
10,199 posts, read 5,644,010 times
Reputation: 8564
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Long guns:

1) I don't hunt
2) I don't work/hike/camp in Grizzly or Polar Bear country
3) I don't have livestock to defend
4) I can't justify the time and expense required to be a proficient shot. If I could justify them, I would probably go with Archery instead because it's quieter, I've enjoyed it more when given the opportunity to try both and I can walk to the local Archery range from my home.

Hand guns:

1) I am not involved in the justice system either as law enforcement, court worker or criminal. Nor am I currently involved in any disagreement with anyone which could be expected to devolve into violence.
2) Any one not deterred by my German Shepherds likely would be undeterred by the possibility I have a gun
3) See #4 for long guns.

There is often an assumption that all individuals that don't have guns are anti-gun. To me, having a gun would make as much sense as having a dredge barge or an iron smelter. Okay less sense because I could probably lease out the dredge barge or the iron smelter to someone who could use them.

I don't care if people have guns for the reasons I don't have guns. I just don't get why people think everyone should have access to weapons and clips that can be used to mow down crowds. It's my understanding that a deer ain't worth **** as food if it's full of bullets.

Out of curiousity, if you were somehow involved in the justice system, would you and even more than that, would you do what is necessary to be a proficient shot?


Or....the possibility that you would consider yourself not in the position in the "security services" to still not have a gun?


That situation, of being somewhere in the security services, long story short, is me. Basically, I know far far far too much and while not in the position of the late Kelly Johnson who did fully consider the possibility that agents of another country might shanghai him some night, I know too much about this world to think otherwise.


Finally, I like the German Shepherds for it reminds me of a Bionic Woman episode. "We have done research. Jamie Summers lives on a ranch in a little farm house with A VERY BIG DOG! I just don't want to give her home field advantage.".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:28 AM
 
Location: USA
19,237 posts, read 9,318,929 times
Reputation: 14428
Because for the type of shooting I do, (target, competition, hunting, defense requirements, etc.) requires multiple firearms, so the reason I should not have ONE gun is that my needs require MORE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:41 AM
 
5,325 posts, read 5,157,127 times
Reputation: 6426
I am not a paranoid yet. It impossible to underestimate the levels of paranoia in the richest country on Earth. Does mass paranoia feed on mass gun ownership? And then I do not buy into mythology of gun ownership, all that fighting tyranny crap. I see a gun more like a drug infused pacifier helping powerless people to create an illusion of power and autonomy in their minds. Gunless Americans would not tolerate things armed to their teeth Americans tolerate because those illusions would not be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,197 posts, read 1,876,968 times
Reputation: 4348
Can't do that, as I already have guns that are designed for hunting rabbits and squirrels. I don't plan on owning any that are primarily useful for the mass execution of human beings. Why would I?

Last edited by GearHeadDave; Today at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:48 AM
 
5,049 posts, read 2,266,034 times
Reputation: 7280
Only reason I can think of can be corrected and that is lack of practice shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,197 posts, read 1,876,968 times
Reputation: 4348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I am not a paranoid yet. It impossible to underestimate the levels of paranoia in the richest country on Earth. Does mass paranoia feed on mass gun ownership? And then I do not buy into mythology of gun ownership, all that fighting tyranny crap. I see a gun more like a drug infused pacifier helping powerless people to create an illusion of power and autonomy in their minds. Gunless Americans would not tolerate things armed to their teeth Americans tolerate because those illusions would not be there.
Ding. Ding. Ding. Give this man a prize. The whole concept that owning a rapid rate of fire weapon is going to somehow protect anyone from the Federal gubment (should it turn against us) or from armed bandits (should society collapse) is nothing more that a manipulative fantasy designed to keep the mush-brained masses from understanding how they are being enslaved.

A Bumblehive server at the Utah Data Center versus an AR-15? Who do you think is going to win that battle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top