U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

5,448 posts, read 4,377,191 times

Advertisements

I used to play football, basketball, softball, rugby, even wrestled until my 40s. Rheumatoid Arthritis took away my strength. When my 8 year-old broke my headlock while we wrestled I knew I needed something for my personal and family's protection. So far all I've shot is paper, but I will protect myself, family, and property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

35,975 posts, read 32,685,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I am not Military or Police or a Gangster. And not scared.

I fully trust USA(Law Enforcement) & God.

Right to bear arms may be my right. Right to kill poor animals is not my right.

To all those gun and revolution lovers - The days of sword and guns are gone. If you want to do revolution, learn Python or Linux
It's deer season right now. You may want to keep yourself inside while the bullets fly. More hunters than people in our armed forces.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

3,339 posts, read 1,914,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What reasonable and rational inquiry and investigation, determines why you personally should not have a gun?

Can you think of any reasons, why you personally should not own a firearm?

I cut myself recently cleaning a knife (although strangely enough I did not cut myself using it but I have in the past).

I'd rather use what god/science already gave me to defend myself. It works out way better. My loud dog is good for backup. I'd just hurt the wrong person with the metal death trap. My lack of spatial reasoning probably helps in that fact. Right now I'm not even sure I can drive a car (I am hoping to change that because I do need to be able to drive and feel like less of a person without a license but have no interest in guns).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why should you have a car since you're much more likely to be killed while in that car.
I don't care if other people want a gun (as long as there are adequate background checks) but this is different because we need a car to live in society. You can't just walk everywhere. You might as well be saying we shouldn't do anything because anything has the potential to end your life. What is the rate of dying by child birth? Probably just as high as driving a car. Should no one have kids?

Quote:
Your choice v. someone else making the choice for you, as if you are their property.
I've never had many choices in life in general so it wouldn't really make a difference. I can't choose where I live. I'm trying to change that but the lack of funds is making it nearly impossible. I can't choose who my parents are. Of course no one can but I can't choose to not let certain things they do affect me. I can't choose to be with who I love.

Sometimes people even need to make choices for me because ironically in some situations them making the choice relies in me having a choice. If someone had made a choice for me in what school to go to to make my desired career happen I wouldn't have ended up in a life that I didn't want because if I choose how to fulfill my desires I will just screw it up. In other words I need that initial choice but I'm not sure how to get there should always be mine.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

15,644 posts, read 8,044,278 times
I have a gun but I don't feel I personally need to carry one around in order to fight off bad guys cause that's kind of crazy IMO to think there is a shootout around every corner and I'm not paranoid about being shot at a store.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

24,116 posts, read 12,663,636 times
Quote:
Your choice v. someone else making the choice for you, as if you are their property.
But that' snot what you are asking.

You asked why I shouldn't have a gun.

I think you are trying to make a point but not sure what it is.

Initially I thought your point was that anyone who thinks they shouldn't have a gun is defective in their thinking....

but now I don't have a clue.

Very few here that aren't gun owners want all guns banned so i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

It's lost

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

30,532 posts, read 16,930,015 times
I'm a middle aged woman; unlikely to run around shooting up Wal-Marts or be involved in a drug shooting. OF course I should have a gun.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

4,969 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Last time I checked most gun incidents happened in liberal cities
Better recheck.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

2,521 posts, read 561,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have a gun but I don't feel I personally need to carry one around in order to fight off bad guys cause that's kind of crazy IMO to think there is a shootout around every corner and I'm not paranoid about being shot at a store.
It just goes to show that despite there being shootings at random places like restaurants and shopping centers, they are still rare enough that people find it unnecessary to protect themselves from them.

Additionally, it shows that the anti-gunners are getting all worked up over somrthing that isn't even a real problem in the big picture.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

2,712 posts, read 911,901 times
Quote:
What reasonable and rational inquiry and investigation, determines why you personally should not have a gun?

Can you think of any reasons, why you personally should not own a firearm?
I own some hunting guns, and people are very rarely killed by hunting guns, so I will answer in reference to handguns only.

I live in a safe area, have never really been threatened by criminals and if I was, I would rather give them my wallet than kill them. Meanwhile statistics show that if I have a gun in the house it is much more likely to kill myself or a family member than an intruder. So it is both rational and reasonable that I do not have a handgun.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

2,712 posts, read 911,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why should you have a car since you're much more likely to be killed while in that car.

You shouldn't have alcohol either since the odds of you killing someone or yourself is much greater.

You should not have a poll since the odds are greater that a kid will drown in it.

We should take every potentially dangerous thing away from you.
It's risk vs benefit. I drive my car everyday. I would not be able to get to work without it, or go on vacations. I definitely benefit from my car, which outweighs the small but real risk of being killed in it.

If I had a gun, the overwhelming probability is I would go my whole life without needing it. That is not worth the risk that I or another innocent person would be killed by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or