U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

2,711 posts, read 911,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This thread is not about "need" or "want"
Is there a rational reason you personally SHOULD NOT have a firearm.
Is there a defect in your character, that you personally feel you should not have at least one form of firearm?
Lack of self control? Mental issues?
Why should you have your endowed right taken, as if it is privilege of government.
Why shouldn't you be allowed to have a firearm?
You should have stated it clearer in your OP then. You got a lot of people to respond why they don't need or want a gun. None of them that I read have said that others should not be allowed to own a gun.

But maybe, you and those like you will read these posts and reconsider: "Do I really need this gun? Is it wise for me to have it? Is it worth the risk to my loved ones?"

If you decide, "yes, I really need it", then don't worry; no one is repealing the 2nd Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:42 AM

35,975 posts, read 32,685,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Can't do that, as I already have guns that are designed for hunting rabbits and squirrels. I don't plan on owning any that are primarily useful for the mass execution of human beings. Why would I?
You don't think a squirrel gun can be used in a mass shooting? As already gone over, the main use for a firearm is to kill stuff. The gun doesn't decide what dies.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

4,968 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You don't think a squirrel gun can be used in a mass shooting? As already gone over, the main use for a firearm is to kill stuff. The gun doesn't decide what dies.
Yes, because squirrel guns are so fast loading, right?

Old Today, 07:57 AM

51,993 posts, read 30,062,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Because I have nothing to prove against an attacker who has already decided to attack me.

Because I've owned enough guns to know that I don't need them.

Because I've shot enough defenseless animals to know it's not a sport if they don't have one.

Because I've visited two people in the hospital that had gun shot wounds.

Because I buy my meat at the store.

Because I have to set an example in my family.

And because the mind is more powerful than the GUN.
Defenseless animals? The next animal, who usually are home intruders or psychotic individuals in crowded places, will not be defenseless, under which circumstances the only living entities, who are defenseless, are usually unarmed citizens.

So when a dangerous home intruder wants to invite himself into your home what do you do, use your mind to keep him away?

It doesn't matter where you live, in the city or rural areas, home intrusions do happen and I don't know about you but I can take care of such a problem much quicker than calling 911 and waiting for law enforcement officers to show up, and when they do, in some cases they end up investigating a crime scene, instead of that of a self-defense situation where only the bad guy is stopped.

I have also set a very good example in my family by demonstrating responsible gun ownership and safe handling of firearms.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,952,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"On a thread about guns, I discuss gun deaths." The PURPOSE of threads about guns from ANTI-gunners is ALWAYS to talk about deaths.

Funny we NEVER see thread about OTHER deaths, like swimming pools and cars which have MORE deaths then guns.

" If you want to hear my opinion about someone drowning in a pool then feel free to start a thread about it"

Why haven't YOU stated a thread on swimming pool deaths?

So again, are you concerned about deaths, or ONLY gun deaths?
Again, on a thread about guns, I will discuss the gun accomplishing its intended purpose. That is, to kill or maim. Bringing in people drowning in pools would only make sense if pools were manufactured to kill. Again, if you are concerned about people drowning in pools, alcoholics drinking themselves to death, or cars running over people you are free to start a thread. If you want my opinion on those things I may or may not chime in with my opinion. Stay on topic dude...

Old Today, 08:04 AM

4,968 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Defenseless animals? The next animal, who usually are home intruders or psychotic individuals in crowded places, will not be defenseless, under which circumstances the only living entities, who are defenseless, are usually unarmed citizens.

So when a dangerous home intruder wants to invite himself into your home what do you do, use your mind to keep him away?

It doesn't matter where you live, in the city or rural areas, home intrusions do happen and I don't know about you but I can take care of such a problem much quicker than calling 911 and waiting for law enforcement officers to show up, and when they do, they end up investigating a crime scene, instead of that of a self-defense situation where only the bad guy is stopped.

I have also set a very good example in my family by demonstrating responsible gun ownership and safe handling of firearms.
That's what all these fathers said who "accidently" killed or injured their sons or daughters "thinking they were intruders".

See my post here with the list of news reports.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

51,993 posts, read 30,062,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
A car is not manufactured to kill. A guns sole purpose is to kill or do great bodily harm. Yes?

If you are concerned about cars killing, make sure you elect Democrats who will be more willing to make sure our cars are safer. You are free, I assume, to start a separate thread on this topic.

More guns equals more gun deaths. America should be the safest place on earth but it sure ain't...
There are countries where guns are banned or very tough to get, so theoretically, they are supposed to be the "safest place on earth", but the criminal elements (gangs/drug dealers) get them. One example of such countries is Mexico.

At one time, up until recent decades, America was much safer because of armed law-abiding citizens, and in some places, it is still very safe because of armed individuals.

Also, mentally-disturbed individuals, who want to get attention, would prefer Gun Free zones, where they know that the chances of encountering armed citizens are zero or very low. Let's face it, when a mass shooter wants to pick a place, he's certainly not going to pick a police station or any other place where armed citizens are present and will stop him before he takes another step.

Old Today, 08:57 AM

188 posts, read 18,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Better recheck.
I'm guessing he means Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, Wash DC. New York , LA, Etc. And he would be right.....

Old Today, 08:59 AM

188 posts, read 18,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
There are countries where guns are banned or very tough to get, so theoretically, they are supposed to be the "safest place on earth", but the criminal elements (gangs/drug dealers) get them. One example of such countries is Mexico.

At one time, up until recent decades, America was much safer because of armed law-abiding citizens, and in some places, it is still very safe because of armed individuals.

Also, mentally-disturbed individuals, who want to get attention, would prefer Gun Free zones, where they know that the chances of encountering armed citizens are zero or very low. Let's face it, when a mass shooter wants to pick a place, he's certainly not going to pick a police station or any other place where armed citizens are present and will stop him before he takes another step.
Yes......Most dangerous city in the world? Juarex, MX. Guns are illegal there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or