U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:29 AM

30,858 posts, read 15,882,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You don't get it, do you? Swimming pools have a lot of benefits and while accidents do happen, their good far outweighs their bad. I don't think you understand what you're doing when you compare guns to cars or pools or alcohol. The main purpose of a gun is to kill. I'm not far banning them and I understand why they are needed, but a car gets me back and forth to where I am going. A pool is used for recreation and exercise. Alcohol has it's purpose to.

You keep trying to compare oranges to vegetables and don't realize the comparison is mainly in your head
Swimming pools are not needed, they are strictly for entertainment and sports.

Just say that dead kids are ok because you enjoy swimming and you'll accept dead children in order to enjoy swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,717 posts, read 4,598,082 times
Pedro;

You keep making the same bored, tired arguments comparing guns to cars, etc. The OP was to explain why we personally would not own a gun. I think you're mistaken about the point of this thread and are trying to turn it into every other gun debate thread on C-D. So is that dude that shared the book of links to people defending themselves with guns.

35,930 posts, read 32,670,842 times
More people = more deaths by people. It doesn't matter the tool being used to accomplish it.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

67,455 posts, read 34,387,852 times
This thread is not about "need" or "want"
Is there a rational reason you personally SHOULD NOT have a firearm.
Is there a defect in your character, that you personally feel you should not have at least one form of firearm?

Old Today, 09:31 AM

14,885 posts, read 7,906,200 times
Quote:
You don't get it, do you? Swimming pools have a lot of benefits and while accidents do happen, their good far outweighs their bad. I don't think you understand what you're doing when you compare guns to cars or pools or alcohol. The main purpose of a gun is to kill. I'm not far banning them and I understand why they are needed, but a car gets me back and forth to where I am going. A pool is used for recreation and exercise. Alcohol has it's purpose to.

You keep trying to compare oranges to vegetables and don't realize the comparison is mainly in your head
Firearms have a lot of benefits and while accidents to happen, their good far outweighs their bad too. The main purpose of a gun is to fire a projectile, normally a bullet of some sort. They can be used to hunt, for sport, for pleasure, for self defense, for protection and for other utility needs.

Not all killing is a bad thing, there are many ways in which killing can easily be seen as a good thing. When you hunt, you kill animals which are then harvested to feed people. I see that form of killing as a great thing. When you kill a human in self defense while saving your own life that's a good thing, while someone died and that's normally tragic it's always a good thing when someone uses justifiable self defense to protect their own life so in that case I also see that killing as good. When police kill someone in order to save innocent lives that's a justifiable form of killing and I support it 100% when it's necessary.

Some people just need killing, it's a horrible truth but it's still true.

Old Today, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
This is what's goofy about gun ownership. Such a power trip. 3% of America owns 50% of the guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on
And around 99.99% of those guns will NOT be used to intentionally harm or accidentally harm another person.

Last edited by PedroMartinez; Today at 09:49 AM..

Old Today, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Pedro;

You keep making the same bored, tired arguments comparing guns to cars, etc. The OP was to explain why we personally would not own a gun. I think you're mistaken about the point of this thread and are trying to turn it into every other gun debate thread on C-D. So is that dude that shared the book of links to people defending themselves with guns.
And the majority of people cite potential danger while accepting other things with statiscalky higher potential danger.

34,172 posts, read 42,711,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And around 99.99% of those guns will be used to intentionally harm or accidentally harm another person.
Is this really what you meant to say?

7,717 posts, read 4,598,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Swimming pools are not needed, they are strictly for entertainment and sports.

Just say that dead kids are ok because you enjoy swimming and you'll accept dead children in order to enjoy swimming.
I won't respond to you in this thread again because you're taking it off topic. Read my first post in this thread about guns. It should clear up any confusion you have unless you're just trying to argue with folks

Old Today, 09:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,254,484 times
Since the main topic is why I "shouldn't" have a gun, then my answer is there is no reason I shouldn't own one. I am trained in marksmanship and firearm safety, have a concealed carry license, and owning a firearm is not illegal.

I have more valid reasons TO own a firearm than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or