Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
This is what's goofy about gun ownership. Such a power trip. 3% of America owns 50% of the guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on
Calling BS on that 'study'.....Run by 2 uber liberal schools, lead by an uber liberal, reported in an uber liberal rag. Polled only 4000 in the liberal Northeast.....Looks like they got the results they were looking for.
Gun owners always lie in surveys anyway, 1) to make sure no one finds out what/how many they have. 2) to screw with the liberals running these polls....

Running that poll in TX or AZ would yield slightly different results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Dude, if you want to discuss swimming pools and alcoholism then start a separate thread"

So you are NOT concerned about DEATHS, ONLY GUN deaths.

MORE people are killed via swimming pools then ALL rifles combined but, you DON"T CARE about them. got it!

When are we going to have dozens of threads about swimming pool deaths? When are YOU going to start one and to advocate the banning of ALL swimming pools and the destruction of the existing ones?
On a thread about guns, I discuss gun deaths. If you want to hear my opinion about someone drowning in a pool then feel free to start a thread about it and maybe I will chime in.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Default Why should I not have a gun?

You mean another one? Actually I would like to, just like gun banners say "just one more common sense law", to get just one more shotgun, a Browning A5 in 16 gauge. No wait, I meant to say two. An A5 in 12 gauge would be nice too.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think you need to expand your question BB. It is not whether we should HAVE a gun, it is whether we should own CERTAIN guns. We can't seem to get through to you gun nuts that you can have sensible guns, but assault type weapons should never be in the hands of Joe Average. They only serve one purpose, and that purpose is not good.
This thread is not about "need" or "want"
Is there a rational reason you personally SHOULD NOT have a firearm.
Is there a defect in your character, that you personally feel you should not have at least one form of firearm?
Lack of self control? Mental issues?
Why should you have your endowed right taken, as if it is privilege of government.
Why shouldn't you be allowed to have a firearm?

Old 09-08-2019, 10:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Calling BS on that 'study'.....Run by 2 uber liberal schools, lead by an uber liberal, reported in an uber liberal rag. Polled only 4000 in the liberal Northeast.....Looks like they got the results they were looking for.
Gun owners always lie in surveys anyway, 1) to make sure no one finds out what/how many they have. 2) to screw with the liberals running these polls....

Running that poll in TX or AZ would yield slightly different results
30% of adults own guns and the percentage varies based on where you live in the country, as you stated.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017...gun-ownership/

Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tell us why we should have one.

Training of anger management, the ability to calm the mind in a second, to calm the body, to put rounds on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The irony is that I am now staying with friends who have guns in their house. She has a handgun that I have seen. He does, too. And there are three long rifles here including an AR-15. People on this board seem to think that if you call for sensible gun laws and you lean left, that you want to ban every single gun in America and confiscate them all. That is far, far from true and is probably a scare tactic used by the strict 2A folks. I have thought about getting a handgun at this point in my life with my medical issues and mobility troubles. As a photographer, I am easy pickings for people who might want a free camera if they see me out and about.

Well, statements by our politicians, attempts, and actual work of them really hasn't done anything to convince us that such isn't the goal.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is there a defect in your character, that you personally feel you should not have at least one form of firearm?
No defects here. But I would suggest that some people who do own guns may have defects of their own, such as an unwarranted sense of paranoia, that others are out to "get" them. Another defect may be a Walter Mitty complex in which they fancy themselves a Dirty Harry type of person. And then there is the defect that some gun owners may have that they perceive that those who don't own guns are themselves defective. I believe psychologists call this projection.

But all in all I am sure that most gun owners are quite normal people, just like the fact that those who don't own guns are quite normal people.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Lack of self control? Mental issues?
Why should you have your endowed right taken, as if it is privilege of government.
Why shouldn't you be allowed to have a firearm?
Oh you didn't put 'allow' in your question -- you now are adding conditions to your question;

And yes --- because you don't want something is why you shouldn't have it.

I shouldn't have a tractor because I don't want a tractor. I don't want a tractor because I have no use for a tractor. I have every right to own a tractor or privilege but I just don't want one so I shouldn't have one.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:32 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tell us why we should have one.

Nobody is suggesting that you HAVE to have one.

Whether or not to have one is a personal decision that only you can weigh the pros and cons of.

It's not for me to dictate... and certainly not the government.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I need one to protect myself from people like you. If we can get the guns away from crazy right wingers, then maybe I could do without. I would have to think about that. I don't need an AR, though.

What if a crazy right winger has an AR?

How are you going to protect yourself from someone with superior firepower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies