U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:29 PM

9,300 posts, read 3,175,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think reducing plastic is a good idea. Too much of it floating in the oceans and hurting sea animals, etc. Nothing wrong w/ paper and reusable bags. The millennials seem to understand this from what I've seen.
I use big paper grocery bags to hold all my recyclable paper, for curbside collection. A couple of times, I didn't plan ahead and got caught by rainstorms when I walked home with my groceries in them. They melted and I had to hide my items behind bushes, while I double-timed home to get a big backpack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:31 PM

17,289 posts, read 4,575,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I think a lot of to do about nothing. By that I mean the complaint about stores not providing plastic bags. My wife and I plan our shopping trips. WE keep a cooler in the car for refrigerated items and cloth bags for all others. We wheel the cart to our car and load up. It takes all of 3 minutes or so to unload the cart.

We have been doing this forever. Our daughters were extremely sensitive to the environment . hahaha. My son didn't give a damn. He wanted to build a truck just to roll coal. He now admits that was just to annoy his sisters.
Your son was rolling trolling. It does show you how these people become incells and swallow the Red Pill...that is, they attempt to do the completely opposite of what is right to get the attention of others....who may be trying to do the right thing.

Hopefully he is coming around. Waste no, want not. Frugality is nothing if not a great American quality. Even lately - driving down the road I notice that the vast majority of car buyers don't buy for that ego thing any more. This is why the corolla, accord and Subarus are such big sellers...Subarus have zero style, and are ultimately practical.

This, in a sense, is the American that is great.

People used to laugh about rich hollywood types driving a Prius - but i think that is a great example to set. No one seems to laugh or mind when they practice excess consumption.......

Sometimes we have it backwards but maybe the soul of American is still frugal.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 PM

15,697 posts, read 18,118,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And Iím thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
If you want free stuff vote for your idol AOC.

Home Depot sells stuff, they don't just give you things for free because you want them.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM

31,295 posts, read 32,163,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And Iím thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
I can't believe you are crying about a bit of pocket change.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 AM

752 posts, read 213,191 times
Quote:
I can't believe you are crying about a bit of pocket change.

Right...wait if one of the fruit cake Democrats gets in and implement their draconian new green deal...tell me then “bit of pocket change”

Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 AM

5,098 posts, read 2,300,567 times
Plastic has only been commonly available for about 100 years. I wound how we managed for the 200,000 years before that?

In the mean time, there is over 8 billion tons of plastic in the world.

300 million tons are produced each year. 8 million tons end up in the ocean each year.

Over 50% produced is used for a very brief period and then discarded.

Plastic can take as much as a 1,000 years to decompose.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 AM

34,448 posts, read 14,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Plastic has only been commonly available for about 100 years. I wound how we managed for the 200,000 years before that?

In the mean time, there is over 8 billion tons of plastic in the world.

300 million tons are produced each year. 8 million tons end up in the ocean each year.

Over 50% produced is used for a very brief period and then discarded.

Plastic can take as much as a 1,000 years to decompose.
Plastic bags weren't around in grocery stores in the 70's never even used them to dispose of household garbage but somehow survived. Just a small easy step to take but there will be complainers, many areas have already banned them. I never understood why everything needs to go in a bag from the Home Depot and other stores, why does something already in a box need to be bagged.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:54 AM

38,350 posts, read 16,647,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I own my own reusable bags. Even have a cart on wheels for heavy stuff - I don’t care if I’m the bag lady - It works !
"I own my own reusable bags" Good good for you.

I used to push my Grandmother's al the time for her.

"Even have a cart on wheels for heavy stuff" So, do you walk to the grocery store or drive and tote your cart with you?

Do you have 10 bags or more of grocery's to get, or just a small amount?

Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think reducing plastic is a good idea. Too much of it floating in the oceans and hurting sea animals, etc. Nothing wrong w/ paper and reusable bags. The millennials seem to understand this from what I've seen.
"Nothing wrong w/ paper", NOT what the environments wakos said several yeas ago, which is why we went to plastic.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Too lazy to bring your own bags? Not very conservative of you.

Hope you thanked China for your sweat shop goods.
"Hope you thanked China for your sweat shop goods." Did YOU with all the thngs you buy that come from China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies