U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 PM

27,860 posts, read 16,224,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Since 2017, thereís been a 0.07 tax on every bag, paper or plastic. Of this, $0.02 goes to the retailer. The city takes $0.05 a bag.

Pritzker wants a uniform $0.05 tax on plastic bags across the state to reduce waste and increase revenue.

Itís no big deal to Bring Your Own Bag and avoid the tax.

We have a grocer in town that provides a modest financial incentive to those who BYOB.

Costco and Sams have never provided bags.

Aldi charges a nominal deposit to use a cart which is refunded upon return of the cart. Aldi imposes a fee for bags.
I remember a number of places did the cart thing in the Northeast. You either used a quarter or a quarter like keychain for it. I remember PathMark having it, maybe King Kullen too... It wasn't uncommon. People just are resistant to change and love to complain. I don't got a problem with the bags. I got quite a few, I just need to remember to grab them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 PM

32,731 posts, read 60,753,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
First they take our plastic bags, then they take our freedom. - every other city-data poster
Give me plastic bags or give me death!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM

8,856 posts, read 2,613,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You mean you couldn't put the chinese made HD goods from the Right Wing Founded and Controlled Home Depot Corporation that ran all your local Main Street businesses out of biz.....in a plastic bag...and that is actually making a dent in your budget???

Wow....thanks for the illustration of patriotism and environmentalism. I guess "my wallet" should be put into the Pledge of Allegiance.
Co-founder of Home Depot is helping pay tuition for every NYU med school student. What are you doing to help anyone. Spending all day here? Pathetic.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 PM

8,115 posts, read 2,866,320 times
Americans should have the right to pollute the world!

Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 AM

776 posts, read 221,200 times
Quote:
Americans should have the right to pollute the world!
I think youre mistaken. Itís the Chinese that have the right to pollute the world.

Couldnít Believe It went To Home Depot This Morning And They No Longer Offer Plastic Bags So I Had To Pay For Paper Bags-1746706b-b7b7-4b2c-b2f8-34bbbd22edca.jpeg

Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 AM

1,562 posts, read 444,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many on the left are so stupid.

Do you remember when they were AGAINST paper bags and whined and cried about how "bad" they were for the environment because of all the tress that had to be cut down to produce the bags?

They are too ignorant to know that the lumber industry RE-plants thousands of seedlings to RESTORE what they cut down. It is like a farmer who reaps his crops then replants. Only an idiot would destroy what the need to stay in business.

And of course to save the spotted owl? Which re-appeared after the cuttings took place.

THEY forced the industry to move to plastic. Look how that worked out. NOW they say plastic is bad.

They can't think past their own biases which is why they have zero credibility with many and we are now in this situation. THEY CREATED IT!
Please show us an article about the left whining that plastic bags were better than cutting down trees.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 AM

10,642 posts, read 8,369,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What problem are they trying to solve?
Plastic in the Pacific garbage patch, mostly from China.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM

33,514 posts, read 17,158,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
First they take our plastic bags, then they take our freedom. - every other city-data poster
And yet it's supposedly Millennials who are entitled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Next, Republicans will be running to Home Depot to stockpile plastic bags until Democrats come and try to rip them from their cold, dead hands.
If it wasn't because I am burdened with a rudimentary sense of ethics, I'd be selling overpriced Trump-branded single-use plastic bags online. Show those liberals that they're not the boss of you! Trigger the snowflakes at the checkout-line! ($19.95 plus S&H.)

Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 AM

34,974 posts, read 34,155,658 times
Back to killing trees and birds losing their habitat. I bring plastic bags with me because I can only carry one paper bag but I can carry 4 plastic ones.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:25 PM

7,361 posts, read 3,966,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Back to killing trees and birds losing their habitat. I bring plastic bags with me because I can only carry one paper bag but I can carry 4 plastic ones.
OR you could bring endlessly reusable hemp bags.
I've been using mine for 10+ years.

You realized the ocean habitat is being destroyed because of discarded plastic that takes hundreds of years to break down right?
And the rest of it is going to landfill. How long do you think we can keep producing plastic and burying it hmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies