U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM

3,055 posts, read 1,174,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
OR you could bring endlessly reusable hemp bags.
I've been using mine for 10+ years.

You realized the ocean habitat is being destroyed because of discarded plastic that takes hundreds of years to break down right?
And the rest of it is going to landfill. How long do you think we can keep producing plastic and burying it hmmm?

This has been discussed ad nauseum over on the Green Living board. You may want to check out my response there How to throw out non-recyclable plastics? That is, if facts make any difference to you.

BTW- studies show that most people who use re-useable bags never wash them They're cesspools of germs.

Personally, I do like paper bags. 100% re-cyclable and much more convenient to load & unload.

Back to the OP: You mean Home Depot won't put a dozen 30 ft 7:12 trusses in a bag for me anymore? Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 04:28 PM

6,005 posts, read 2,902,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And I’m thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
"At current rates plastic (in the oceans) is expected to outweigh all the fish in the sea by 2050."

"Thousands of seabirds and sea turtles, seals and other marine mammals are killed each year after ingesting plastic or getting entangled in it."

1/4 of fish at markets have plastic in their stomachs, and "it’s estimated that 60 percent of all seabird species have eaten pieces of plastic, with that number predicted to increase to 99 percent by 2050."

ex.ex.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/...cean_plastics/

"Fish and wildlife are becoming intoxicated by plastics. Consequently the toxins from the plastics have entered the food chain, threatening human health. "
https://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorksh.../plastics.html

How do republicans believe we should fix the above problems, or do republicans believe we should do nothing to reduce plastic pollution?

Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM

32,714 posts, read 60,688,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Fact is this stuff and others will do absolutely zero regarding the issue, zero, zilch, nothing. It is not even worth addressing and modifying any action by you, me, others, without addressing the fact a handful of SE Asian countries contribute over 90% of the ocean plastic waste.
If a handful of SE Asian countries jumped off a cliff, would you want to jump off the cliff, too?

Your electing to reuse or not use one plastic bag means one less plastic bag in the waste stream, fluttering across the highways, getting stuck in trees, floating down creeks and rivers. Be the first monkey, not the hundredth monkey.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:34 AM

12,226 posts, read 17,024,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am certainly old enough to remember paper bags, and also "Manhattan cars" shopping carts. Something leaks in your paper bag? Bottom falls out and all your groceries fall on the ground. Those Manhattan cars? Yeah, used them but they weren't just piled up with groceries without some kind of bags inside of them. Small items would fall out between the slots.

Reusable bags? I have seen some very disgusting looking reusable bags. Wash them, or THROW THEM OUT and buy new ones. $200 dollars worth of groceries? How many reusable bags would that be? Oh, just put my cleaning products in same bag as my produce? Very healthy. I once stood online ahead of woman with multiple reusable bags. This one is for my produce. This one is for my meat. This one is for my cleaning products. Both the cashier, and I, were ready to smack her with how long this took.

So I am going to have to go out and buy "poop bags" for my cats? Are they biodegrable too? How about all the food storage plastic bags I buy to freeze my foods in? If I freeze chili in one, I am supposed to wash out all that sauce to reuse it again?
It's really not that complicated or difficult.

The reusable shopping bags have more room and are easier to carry. I use two reusable bags per week versus the 15-20 plastic bags I'd have to carry into the house. It doesn't bother me to have my packaged cleaning products in the same bag as my produce, but it's also not hard to unload your cart in such a way that it's easy for the bagger to pack into appropriate bags if you don't pack your bags yourself. Just put the cleaning products on last and let the bagger know to put them in a bag of their own. If it causes you to want to smack someone because of "how long it takes," you're really just looking for a reason to be annoyed. It shouldn't take any longer than chucking 2 or 3 items at a time in a random assortment of plastic bags.

It's your (and my) choice to have a cat, so yes, I guess you just "have to go out and buy poop bags" if you can't figure it out otherwise. Woe, you put upon pet owner! I certainly don't expect everyone be given bags just so I can use 1/10 of the bags I receive for cat litter. I roll clumps up in a paper bag in my normal trash bag, use produce bags, and keep any plastic bags I get, though it's so easy to avoid using them that I rarely have any despite only about half of the surrounding towns banning the plastic. In an emergency, I have trash can liners.

I use reusable plastic freezer bags and it's no big deal to wash out things. Really, I prefer to freeze individual portions (either TV dinner style or a family style portion) in stackable glass containers. If you're concerned about bottled cleaning supplies sharing a bag for a few minutes with produce, I'm surprised you're OK with your food sitting in plastic for weeks or months.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

1,704 posts, read 382,589 times
I went to Amazon and bought a case of plastic bags (1000) for $12
They are in batches of 50 and I keep a batch under the seat of my truck.
Come in handy when I venture to towns that have banned the bag.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM

6,839 posts, read 2,098,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And Iím thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
What? If they're not offering plastic, why aren't they giving you paper ones for free?

You should complain to the corporate office. I hope some people announce, "Then I don't these. Void the sale."

Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 PM

34,461 posts, read 14,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
This has been discussed ad nauseum over on the Green Living board. You may want to check out my response there How to throw out non-recyclable plastics? That is, if facts make any difference to you.

BTW- studies show that most people who use re-useable bags never wash them They're cesspools of germs.

Personally, I do like paper bags. 100% re-cyclable and much more convenient to load & unload.

Back to the OP: You mean Home Depot won't put a dozen 30 ft 7:12 trusses in a bag for me anymore? Bummer.
I have been using reusable bags for years and somehow survived.

Most things you buy in the Home Depot don't require plastic bags, its wasteful and ignores the problem.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM

7,296 posts, read 3,948,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Ad nauseum? You send me to a thread that contains 6 posts and you call that ad nauseum? LOL
Also you send me to a thread about how to throw out non-recyclable plastics.
Didn't you read what I wrote? I've been using my bags for 10+ years. I've never thrown one out. Plus they're not made from plastic, they're made from hemp.

Quote:

I'm not most people. I clean my bags regularly.

#FAIL.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 AM

855 posts, read 900,379 times
I wash my bags regularly, starch them, and dry them on a line. Never had a problem. Just wash them on delicate.

When I take groceries out of my cart, I separate them by type, and I place the bag I want used with each type. It doesn't take much time to pack them. If I am allowed, I do the packing myself.

I do put meat in a small cooler, with the frozen, artificial ice I bought in the sporting goods section of good ol' Walmart. This ice doesn't cost much and can be reused.

The only problem I have with my bags is that they no longer come with a plastic bottom. I buy plastic and cut to fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies