Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Woot woot. PR has no plastic bags, and other countries like panama no more - great move ! Besides when I worked there PT I hated those bags wouldn’t pull right from the pack lol - now those 6 pk holders gotta to go! Those kill the creatures of the oceans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many on the left are so stupid.

Do you remember when they were AGAINST paper bags and whined and cried about how "bad" they were for the environment because of all the tress that had to be cut down to produce the bags?

They are too ignorant to know that the lumber industry RE-plants thousands of seedlings to RESTORE what they cut down. It is like a farmer who reaps his crops then replants. Only an idiot would destroy what the need to stay in business.

And of course to save the spotted owl? Which re-appeared after the cuttings took place.

THEY forced the industry to move to plastic. Look how that worked out. NOW they say plastic is bad.

They can't think past their own biases which is why they have zero credibility with many.
I own my own reusable bags. Even have a cart on wheels for heavy stuff - I don’t care if I’m the bag lady - It works !

Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You mean you couldn't put the chinese made HD goods from the Right Wing Founded and Controlled Home Depot Corporation that ran all your local Main Street businesses out of biz.....in a plastic bag...and that is actually making a dent in your budget???

Wow....thanks for the illustration of patriotism and environmentalism. I guess "my wallet" should be put into the Pledge of Allegiance.
"that ran all your local Main Street businesses out of biz...."

It started way back when Sear had catalogs for mail shopping.

HD has better employee benefits then MOST of your local Main Street businesses.

And I a NOT surprised you think ALL business's are repub owned.

" the chinese made HD goods" and how many goods in your house are Chinese made?

Do YOU seek out American made products before buying? I think I smell, a "hypocrite" situation.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This type of thing, I think.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/tr...-garbage-patch

Also, the pollution caused by the pumping of oil and the conversion to plastics...etc.

Oil would be best saved for airline fuel and such things....it's not needed to package every single cheap item.
the plastics in the Pacific are largely from China and India, not Home Depot stores in the US.
People actually reuse/repurpose plastic bags for pet waste, etc. so if they are banned or no longer used, people will just go buy new ones instead. Makes sense huh? No.

in the end Home Depot is free to virtue signal all it wants and people are free to shop elsewhere

Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Grocery stores in Chicago and some suburbs have charged people for plastic bags for some time. It's meant to encourage people to bring their own reusable bags and reduce the use of plastic. It's a bag tax.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And I’m thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
I have no issue with businesses deciding to do this if they CHOOSE.

My issue is with the government imposing such laws on legal products.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I think reducing plastic is a good idea. Too much of it floating in the oceans and hurting sea animals, etc. Nothing wrong w/ paper and reusable bags. The millennials seem to understand this from what I've seen.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:02 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Grocery stores in Chicago and some suburbs have charged people for plastic bags for some time. It's meant to encourage people to bring their own reusable bags and reduce the use of plastic.
More like to reduce the stores overhead and keep prices low/competitive and not necessarily anything environmental. Plastic bags from the Aldi Grocery chain arent being dumped en masse into the pacific.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Grocery stores in Chicago and some suburbs have charged people for plastic bags for some time. It's meant to encourage people to bring their own reusable bags and reduce the use of plastic.
I applaud businesses that do so.

I do most of my shopping at Costco. They don't provide bags, and I bring my insulated bags I purchased from Costco. I rarely use a box.

But, I still believe it should be left up to the business.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have no issue with businesses deciding to do this if they CHOOSE.

My issue is with the government imposing such laws on legal products.
If there are no laws - man does what he wants - why God sent Moses. He hoped we have brains to do the right thing - but we don’t. Need govt to keep us in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies