Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,757,673 times

Advertisements

And I’m thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,605,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And I’m thinking to myself this is only the beginning. If any of these fruit cake Democrats get in my wallet is going to be crying...
You mean you couldn't put the chinese made HD goods from the Right Wing Founded and Controlled Home Depot Corporation that ran all your local Main Street businesses out of biz.....in a plastic bag...and that is actually making a dent in your budget???

Wow....thanks for the illustration of patriotism and environmentalism. I guess "my wallet" should be put into the Pledge of Allegiance.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 AM

15,484 posts, read 10,414,724 times
Our city had a ban that lasted less than a year. They decided it was not making a difference. AND, poor people were complaining about the cost of buying bags, they never brought their own bags.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 AM

39,007 posts, read 51,008,962 times
It did not remind you of when America was great? We had only paper back then, you recall.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 AM

45,086 posts, read 26,245,496 times
What problem are they trying to solve?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Our city had a ban that lasted less than a year. They decided it was not making a difference. AND, poor people were complaining about the cost of buying bags, they never brought their own bags.
They have lot of this going on in our area......it's somewhat a phase, but I think it raised some awareness.

What we really need to do is pressure corporations to use more friendly packaging materials and such....and also make it so the total cost of products is paid by the companies and customers. That is, the cradle to grave (replying, disposal) costs....as opposed to "sell it and forget it".

A lot of this is happening. Amazon has lots of stuff in their "no hassle" cardboard packaging and it's far superior to the plastic that you can't easily open.

If there is demand there will be plastic bags made of various other things (hemp, corn) that biodegrade in a few weeks or months. We reuse more of our market bags but only once, so if they degrade in 120 days or so that would be fine.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What problem are they trying to solve?
This type of thing, I think.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/tr...-garbage-patch

Also, the pollution caused by the pumping of oil and the conversion to plastics...etc.

Oil would be best saved for airline fuel and such things....it's not needed to package every single cheap item.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 AM

24,296 posts, read 17,027,498 times
I think the plastic bag bans are only a feel good notion by do gooders that will have very little impact on saving the planet when poor countries around the world still dump their trash right into the ocean.

We have had plastic bag bans for a while now in many towns around where I live but we don't have to pay for the alternative paper bag. The paper ones are prone to tearing and they don't have handles that makes carrying them easier.

I think the plastic bag and straw bans are no more than a bucket of water going over Niagra falls.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 AM

7,582 posts, read 4,128,880 times
Really? Where is this? I am about to go to Home Depot.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM

58,691 posts, read 26,969,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Many on the left are so stupid.

Do you remember when they were AGAINST paper bags and whined and cried about how "bad" they were for the environment because of all the tress that had to be cut down to produce the bags?

They are too ignorant to know that the lumber industry RE-plants thousands of seedlings to RESTORE what they cut down. It is like a farmer who reaps his crops then replants. Only an idiot would destroy what the need to stay in business.

And of course to save the spotted owl? Which re-appeared after the cuttings took place.

THEY forced the industry to move to plastic. Look how that worked out. NOW they say plastic is bad.

They can't think past their own biases which is why they have zero credibility with many and we are now in this situation. THEY CREATED IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies