Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times

Advertisements

IMO He threw shade on the gay community for their power to affect the careers of people. There have been to my knowledge two black entertainers whose careers have been negatively affected by saying the "F word" for a gay man or telling a joke about being gay. The bit that Dave did involved the Chappelle Show's censors telling him he couldn't use the F word because he is not gay. He said they let me use the N word and I am not an N word either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 AM

10,451 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Dave Chappelle has long been seen as one of the masters of comedy of our time, he's made jokes about every group of people you can come up with and he's mastered the art of stand up comedy like very few people have. The best of the best in the comedy industry respect Dave Chappelle. Even the people in the industry who hate Chappelle agree that he's incredibly funny. This latest show hits at the heart of what's hurting our nation today and he does a masterful job of pointing out outrageous hypocrisy on the part of people who are typically "off limits". At the core of it, Dave doesn't GAF who is offended by his comedy and that really angers some people. It also angers a lot of people that they can't attack him for being a racist, that's normally their go to card to play but he's a black Muslim so he's immune to the normal left wing attacks.

Have you seen the show yet?
Yes. I stopped it after he makes a claim that if he was a pedophile, he would have raped McCullay Culkin first. But I went back about an hour later and watched the rest of the show. Only thing I thought was genuinely interesting is how if women have the choice of having the baby or not, then the man should have the choice of providing child support or not. He's right there, equal rights and all.

I just didn't like the beginning because I have been around child molestation/child abuse cases since I was little, and I know what kind of a dark world that is, and find nothing funny about it. Most of the times, kids can't overcome it, and end up being social misfits because their innocence was taken away at so young an age.

As for the rest of the show, I was kind of bored. I didn't find it funny, but I wasn't offended either. I just personally don't care for mean spirited satire comedy, and it's just not entertaining for me at all. Most comedians remind me of the bullies in school who thrived at being jerks.

But, I will note, it is interesting to see all the SJW's and critics are all upset about his very brief rants on homosexuals (when reality, I honestly didn't see anything offensive about it, if anything, he made the alphabet car ride seem kind of fun) but they won't say anything about the pedophilia jokes. Guess they don't mind those.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
They’re recommending it as a response to the people telling everyone not to watch it. When it first came out, a lot of social justice types were shaming him and telling people to skip it because he said some “problematic” things...which is exactly what he was talking about with his “THAT’S YOU” joke. He was poking fun at the outrage culture.

It’s almost identical to religious groups who would get outraged and try to demonize edgy comedy, movies, etc...when people take it too seriously and try to shame others, there’s an urge to push back. Those people are just asking to be trolled, because they’re so sensitive and easy to mess with.

I believe Rotten Tomatoes had the special at a very low rating by critics, and the audience rating was at 99% positive. That says a lot.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IMO He threw shade on the gay community for their power to affect the careers of people. There have been to my knowledge two black entertainers whose careers have been negatively affected by saying the "F word" for a gay man or telling a joke about being gay. The bit that Dave did involved the Chappelle Show's censors telling him he couldn't use the F word because he is not gay. He said they let me use the N word and I am not an N word either.
I thought his show was hilarious

I guess I don't understand Chappelle on this particular bit. It's funny when he says the N word - but not so funny if I say it. Same with F*****.

I see that as different sides of the same coin.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I really don't care about his comedy in general, but I want to know why the Republicans like Steven Crowder, Amazing Lucas, Jericho Green, Geeks and Gamers and Ben Shapiro are all of a sudden on this huge bandwagon, highly recommending this show to their fans? Makes them kind of hypocrites, doesn't it?
Watch it and see. I don't think they're being hypocritical. They seem to think it supports men's right to walk away from the child. Here is the abortion skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoudH-RPnEE

Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
... because he's very funny.

I watched the show several nights ago. It was okay.

This said, I don't think all his jokes are in good taste, but he is a comedian, so who cares? I like how he confronts social taboos.

Comedy lovers want to see moral authoritarians mocked until they disappear for good, and that’s why there is a good marked for this brand of comedy. Chapelle tried breaking every single progressive taboo. The trans jokes are funny as hell, but he has used these jokes before, so they are not new.
This. ^^
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-08-2019, 11:51 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
It is important to watch the whole thing through including the post show epilogue. If you bail out on something that offends you you’ll miss the whole point.

Christopher Titus’ Amerigeddon is another good one in a similar vein.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:01 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thought his show was hilarious

I guess I don't understand Chappelle on this particular bit. It's funny when he says the N word - but not so funny if I say it. Same with F*****.

I see that as different sides of the same coin.
I think context is the point. In a comedy routine, it's humor. In another context, it's fighting words. For example, I like Jim Jeffries but if some guy at work uses the C word we have a problem and I'll crawl up his ass.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:07 PM

339 posts, read 127,527 times
I thought the show was really funny. It’s comedy folks, doesn’t have to be politically correct. It is popular with conservatives because it isn’t politically correct. Especially the skit about Jussie Smollett; it was absolutely hilarious. I remember when that story broke and it was headline news 24/7 for almost a week straight. All the MSM, Hollywood, and Democrats referred to the alleged attackers as Trump supporters (without any substantiation) and proceed on a rant blaming Trump and his deplorable supporters. Almost immediately the Jussie Smollett‘s story sounded highly unlikely but that didn’t stop the media, Hollywood, Pelosi, etc. from continuing to blame Trump. When it became clear Jussie Smollett was lying, the media just stopped reporting on it and went onto the next fake news story. Never any apologies.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
My nephew is transgender and he thought it was funny.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies