Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM

78,279 posts, read 60,492,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Like, really, people think this guy is actually funny? I seen people try to compare him to George Carlin, and sorry, but George Carlin was genuinely funny and touched on real issues.
Oh, I can play this game.

You're only criticizing Chapelle because you're racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM

15,521 posts, read 10,483,166 times
I wasn't going to watch it, but changed my mind. Glad I did, I was pretty funny.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:16 PM

15,831 posts, read 6,302,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, I can play this game.

You're only criticizing Chapelle because you're racist.
Perhaps he was offended.

GOOD!

Old 09-08-2019, 02:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think context is the point. In a comedy routine, it's humor. In another context, it's fighting words. For example, I like Jim Jeffries but if some guy at work uses the C word we have a problem and I'll crawl up his ass.
I don't necessarily think it's context in this situation.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:18 PM

25,535 posts, read 17,239,381 times
I watched a little bit of it.
Sometimes it takes a comedian to point out our irreconcilable positions. I never saw the abortion/abandon contradiction, but Chapelle did. And he did us a favor when he found it.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:21 PM

21,453 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thought his show was hilarious

I guess I don't understand Chappelle on this particular bit. It's funny when he says the N word - but not so funny if I say it. Same with F*****.

I see that as different sides of the same coin.
He never says the n-word as a joke. He just talks about it. The joke was that he said f***** and the censors said he couldn’t say that because he’s not that. He said well y’all let me say n*****, but I’m not a n***** either.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't necessarily think it's context in this situation.
Context could include who is saying it and how the listener feels about that person/group/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He never says the n-word as a joke. He just talks about it. The joke was that he said f***** and the censors said he couldn’t say that because he’s not that. He said well y’all let me say n*****, but I’m not a n***** either.
That was a sick burn on whoever said he couldn't say F****** She backhandedly called him a N******** and he called her out.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM

21,453 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Watch it and see. I don't think they're being hypocritical. They seem to think it supports men's right to walk away from the child. Here is the abortion skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoudH-RPnEE
No they don’t think it supports walking away from the child. The entire joke is if she has the right to choose to kill a baby, then he should have the right to abandon it. And here’s why I think a lot of conservatives like it, because Dave then says, and if I’m wrong then maybe we’re all wrong. Think about that.

They interpret that to mean he is saying both are wrong. I’m not so sure about that. I think he means it’s complicated. He doesn’t want abortion outlawed, but there are definitely legitimate debates about it from different sides.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
No they don’t think it supports walking away from the child. The entire joke is if she has the right to choose to kill a baby, then he should have the right to abandon it. And here’s why I think a lot of conservatives like it, because Dave then says, and if I’m wrong then maybe we’re all wrong. Think about that.

They interpret that to mean he is saying both are wrong. I’m not so sure about that. I think he means it’s complicated. He doesn’t want abortion outlawed, but there are definitely legitimate debates about it from different sides.
To someone who thinks abortion is murder it probably looks like he's pointing out a flaw in my thinking as a pro-choice person. To a pro-choice person, it looks like he is pointing out a flaw in the pro-life argument. So it's going to lead us to have this discussion. It works from multiple angles which makes it pure genius and why I believe he has achieved Carlin status.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:48 PM

78,279 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:

From a purely logical standpoint, the choice to have a child is completely within the control of the mother. The father, if you were to respect their choice, would then be allowed to choose whether to engage in that rearing or to just bow-out but that is not reality.

It is complicated but it does raise some degree of hypocrisy in that *choice* to have a kid is one-sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies