U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:41 AM

2,772 posts, read 837,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
To answer the OP’s question - because it triggerz the libz! And that’s all that matters in the current climate. “Is this thing bothering people I don’t like? Then I love this thing! Even if I used to hate it or have no personal experience with it!”

I don’t care if anyone watches or doesn’t watch Chappelle. I find the “Chappelle is being silenced!” crusade ridiculous though, since he clearly is not being silenced - his special is the first thing you see when you open Netflix.

Some people wrote articles or tweets critiquing the special, and these days anything less than full throated support is viewed as censorship.
Any different than SJW upticks being thrown in our face in the names of popular culture and advertising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:54 AM

33,927 posts, read 14,284,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It is comedy and most comedy triggers social justice fairies.
Sure like SNL and Jon Stewart. Lol

Chappelle did a great skit on SNL I believe with Chris Rock poking fun at liberals over their react to Trumps election. He is extremely funny and sounds very bright in his interviews. I could care less about the thrust of his show I enjoy his comedy, I don’t know why everything has to be either right or left.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

52,678 posts, read 42,316,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Boris says he had sex with her, nothing about a BJ set up.

I guess that's what you get for having "relations" with another woman while your wife is in labor.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...04/books.sport

This falls under "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
Ah my bad, probably confusing him with another similar story.

That does remind me of the Steve Nash (NBA player - very white) who's wife gave birth to some decidedly darker babies leading to their divorce and the trading of one of his team-mates to another city.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

32,590 posts, read 20,512,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah my bad, probably confusing him with another similar story.

That does remind me of the Steve Nash (NBA player - very white) who's wife gave birth to some decidedly darker babies leading to their divorce and the trading of one of his team-mates to another city.

I'm not going to fact check that to see if it's true. It's inflammatory and easily could have been checked with a paternity test, and not gossip.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 09:40 AM

36,645 posts, read 10,850,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
All over my social network, all of the conservative channels seem to be jumping on this bandwagon of Dave Chappelle's new comedy show, Sticks and Stones, is must see TV. They claim it's triggering SJW's, but I personally saw the first 15 minutes, and all he talks about is how he doesn't think Michael Jackson is a pedophile, and if he was, then kids who were abused by him should be thankful they got their junk molested by the king of pop. No joke. He even goes as far as to claim if he was a pedophile, he would make sure McCullay Culkin was his first victim.

So, I take it, conservatives are okay with pedophilia being a joke, just as long as a Black comedian takes a jab at the homosexual communities?

Like, really, people think this guy is actually funny? I seen people try to compare him to George Carlin, and sorry, but George Carlin was genuinely funny and touched on real issues.

Oh, give me a break. Since when isn't comedy supposed to poke fun at people's sensitivities?

The left are simply ticked because Chappelle's observational comedy is [gasp!] aiming at the left's sacred cows. So now The Mob has started a Twitter campaign ordering audience members not to laugh at his jokes.

Yes, America, it didn't take long, either, for comedy critics to go from calling Chappelle "electrifying" and "brilliant" to, now, "disconcerting.

Get over it. Liberals have no monopoly on determining what's funny. And chuck the pedophilia gar-baghe.

Chris Rock once touched on charities in one of his routines, and noted that Jerry's Kids are still gimpin' around. And the crowd's uproarious laughter did NOT mean that they found childhood illnesses amusing. It's called obervational comedy for a reason.

Lay a guilt trip on someone else.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

24,106 posts, read 12,658,814 times
Chapelle fan here and I completely missed this so called controversy. I watched. This last special is less comedy and more social commentary with humor -- I know subtle -- but it is a difference. And it is in your face social commentary.

I didn't like every comment but I can appreciate where he is coming from.

So who turned the conservatives on to Chapelle -- he's been around for years... They should google his SNL commentary. Very enlightening.

Old Today, 10:02 AM

10,733 posts, read 6,439,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
All over my social network, all of the conservative channels seem to be jumping on this bandwagon of Dave Chappelle's new comedy show, Sticks and Stones, is must see TV. They claim it's triggering SJW's, but I personally saw the first 15 minutes, and all he talks about is how he doesn't think Michael Jackson is a pedophile, and if he was, then kids who were abused by him should be thankful they got their junk molested by the king of pop. No joke. He even goes as far as to claim if he was a pedophile, he would make sure McCullay Culkin was his first victim.

So, I take it, conservatives are okay with pedophilia being a joke, just as long as a Black comedian takes a jab at the homosexual communities?

Like, really, people think this guy is actually funny? I seen people try to compare him to George Carlin, and sorry, but George Carlin was genuinely funny and touched on real issues.
Probably because the left is so against it. Funny thing, no Conservative recommended it to me. I ended up watching something on youtube, on how the left is in meltdown over it. After that I just had to watch it. I thought it was funny, not his best material but still funny. Offensive , no.

Old Today, 10:05 AM

10,733 posts, read 6,439,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
They’re recommending it as a response to the people telling everyone not to watch it. When it first came out, a lot of social justice types were shaming him and telling people to skip it because he said some “problematic” things...which is exactly what he was talking about with his “THAT’S YOU” joke. He was poking fun at the outrage culture.

It’s almost identical to religious groups who would get outraged and try to demonize edgy comedy, movies, etc...when people take it too seriously and try to shame others, there’s an urge to push back. Those people are just asking to be trolled, because they’re so sensitive and easy to mess with.

I believe Rotten Tomatoes had the special at a very low rating by critics, and the audience rating was at 99% positive. That says a lot.
They will never get that they took the bait...So funny and predictable.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

379 posts, read 71,113 times
All y'all praising Chapelle defended Michelle Wolf's performance at the White House Correspondents Dinner a few years ago, right? I'm sure you did.

Old Today, 10:13 AM

24,106 posts, read 12,658,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
They’re recommending it as a response to the people telling everyone not to watch it. When it first came out, a lot of social justice types were shaming him and telling people to skip it because he said some “problematic” things...which is exactly what he was talking about with his “THAT’S YOU” joke. He was poking fun at the outrage culture.

It’s almost identical to religious groups who would get outraged and try to demonize edgy comedy, movies, etc...when people take it too seriously and try to shame others, there’s an urge to push back. Those people are just asking to be trolled, because they’re so sensitive and easy to mess with.

I believe Rotten Tomatoes had the special at a very low rating by critics, and the audience rating was at 99% positive. That says a lot.
Rotten Tomato as of today's date -- Sept. 9/2019

79% per by critic (tomatoter) - 88 per cent of top critics.
90 per cent by audience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or