U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

9,939 posts, read 3,266,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Actor Sean Penn has once again lambasted President Donald Trump, saying that his chances for re-election will be hurt by a surge in voting by young people, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Penn reportedly made the remarks Saturday at n event in Los Angeles where he was promoting his new novel Bob Honey Sings Jimmy Crack Corn. The actor spoke on stage in a conversation with actor Nick Offerman.

“I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that Donald Trump is going to win the presidency next time and that’s because I’m getting a sense that it’s going be an exponential jump in young people who are going to say, ‘No thanks,'” Penn said.

The actor, who has won Oscars for Mystic River and Milk, said the events leading up to the 2016 presidential election helped inspire him to pursue a literary career.

“As it turns out, leading up to the election of 2016, I was going to ****ing kill myself if I didn’t find a way out of just focusing on what the hell was happening,” the actor told Offerman.

“So I decided to take everything I thought and felt and exaggerated it and exaggerated the language in ways that would keep me giggling through one of the ugliest periods of conscious participation the country has ever had.”

Offerman reportedly revealed at the event that the new novel cites Fox News host Laura Ingraham by name. He also offered his own take on Trump’s election.

“We were fooling ourselves into a sense of comfort and easy denial, going, ‘Oh, I think everything’s going pretty good, we elected a black guy, we’re pretty awesome.’ Then suddenly the wheels fell off and we’re driving on the hubs and we have to fix things a lot more than we thought,” said Offerman.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...r-re-election/

is the guy who said Venezuela is a great country right in that Trump has no chance to win again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

19,819 posts, read 17,993,787 times
Lib icon? Does that mean crapping in his pants, draft dodging Ted Nugent is a Conservative icon? Seems like only Conservatives care what Sean Pen has to say. You must really be upset he doesn't bow down to your Dear leader.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Lib icon? Does that mean crapping in his pants, draft dodging Ted Nugent is a Conservative icon? Seems like only Conservatives care what Sean Pen has to say. You must really be upset he doesn't bow down to your Dear leader.
he dodged the draft? Good for him

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

12,061 posts, read 5,102,411 times
For folks who "don't care" about Hollywood types, they sure seem to pay a lot attention to them.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
For folks who "don't care" about Hollywood types, they sure seem to pay a lot attention to them.
Because it’s fun

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 3,130,855 times
He’s a lib icon? TIL..

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

544 posts, read 478,857 times
Unless Chump can keep tweeting and manipulating the markets to keep them propped up he's gonna lose a lot of the middle states. Now if he starts a war there will be a good chance he'll get re-elected, this is what scares me.

I'm anxious to see what Q4 numbers say after xmas. I'm imagining multiple black friday sales, all the xmas and census jobs to have a sharp drop, and continued mergers and acquisitions.

Germany is already in negative interest rates, Brexit is a disaster possibly set to bust in Oct, domestically construction loans are down, there's much more housing inventory, job creation is down, container shipments are dropping, and there is hardly any consumer confidence or volume in the stock market. Just lots of fake money and buy backs propping up numbers. Essentially the 1% hoping Trump gets re-elected so they can keep consolidating the middle class in this next downturn. Lots of retirement and ira's will get chewed up so get prepared.

We're far outside the expiration date for this expansion cycle to continue. Be prepared.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

16,093 posts, read 13,848,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
He is the perfect conservative icon. Multiple children with multiple mothers, chicken hawk draft dodger yet advocates for others to go to war, pedophile, fanatic gun lover, anti-environment, etc, etc. He is like the stereotype of all the negatives of a conservative, lol.

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

16,749 posts, read 4,401,221 times
He's a great actor...I'll give him that.....

And there is a heck of a chance that he is right. But in the USA....you never say never. The country is headed down the path of Authoritarianism, but Penn is right in that any hopes lie with the young folks.

If history is any guide they are expected to show up in droves....but then don't!

EXCEPT - in 2018 they DID show up in droves.

50% more than in the midterm before that! That's incredible

So, can anyone come up with a reason why a vast increase in young voters won't come out in 2020?? Like something actually intelligent???

I say they will turn out in droves.

BUT, Authoritarians will turn out in droves also.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

16,749 posts, read 4,401,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
He is the perfect conservative icon. Multiple children with multiple mothers, chicken hawk draft dodger yet advocates for others to go to war, pedophile, fanatic gun lover, anti-environment, etc, etc. He is like the stereotype of all the negatives of a conservative, lol.
Back in the day any real "conservative" would have smacked him down and ripped out or cut off his hair.

He did a good marketing job, tho, because certainly his music wouldn't have kept him in the $$.....he was third tier even when he was at his peak.

When it comes to midwest bands back then I'd take Bob Seger any day.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or